Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2743

1       2       3              2743      
       2745              4235       4236       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13090

And here three from beneath the bridge as I walked from the parking area on the west side to the overlook on the east side. These are for the engineers among us... and the architects Scott...

I was surprised to learn that portions of the bridge over land ride on rubber cushions tended to isolate the bridge from earthquake jolts.

Here is a link to some facts about the bridge.

Golden Gate Bridge Facts

For instance, the weight of the cables and suspender cables is 24,500 TONS...

CGrindahl

Here's another rather dramatic photo taken from beneath the bridge, this time with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that was converted in Silver Efex Pro 2.

pburke
Total Posts: 2052

Rubber cushions - those are probably the size of a small car? Hard to get some sense of scale from the image.

mp356
Total Posts: 4285

CGrindahl wrote:
And here three from beneath the bridge as I walked from the parking area on the west side to the overlook on the east side. These are for the engineers among us... and the architects Scott...

I was surprised to learn that portions of the bridge over land ride on rubber cushions tended to isolate the bridge from earthquake jolts.

Very nice series Curtis! I do like these a lot. The "spidery tangle" of structural bracing in the first is delightful. The last image is nicely framed. That rubber isolator pad is certainly substantial. Looks like thay have placed some steel guards around the perimeter just in case things get bouncing around a bit during a quake.

pburke

One more from the air show, run through some Camera Raw magic (I make my own Nik filters)

D7000, 105mm f2.5 @f4.0 1/1250s iso 100. Cropped, split toned, post vignette, saturation changes, curves, plus some aggressive sharpening in Photoshop, as well as some multiply overlay of the image on itself.

link to the somewhat duller original

And a comarison of 100% zoom detail before/after showing how much you can pull out of a JPEG - I need to find the RAW files from this trip!

CGrindahl

And perhaps I can quiet Reagan with ONE photo of women from this series...

Or maybe two...

She was posing for her friend, unaware that with a 24mm lens she landed at the edge of my shot...

mp356
Total Posts: 4285

CGrindahl wrote:
Here's another rather dramatic photo taken from beneath the bridge, this time with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that was converted in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Another nice one! The b&w conversion gives it a very nostalgic look.

georgms
Total Posts: 3398

pburke wrote:
One more from the air show, run through some Camera Raw magic (I make my own Nik filters)

D7000, 105mm f2.5 @f4.0 1/1250s iso 100. Cropped, split toned, post vignette, saturation changes, curves, plus some aggressive sharpening in Photoshop, as well as some multiply overlay of the image in itself.

Peter, love this shot and your magic PP. In my opinion it's the best image from your recent plane-series. The glossy look is a perfect match for the subject.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2926

mp356 wrote:
Thank you Reagan, Laura, and Chin for the comments on the snow scene. Just as cold today but not as much snow flurry activity. Fingers crossed for 50 degrees tomorrow.

84 here today Scott
Just thought I would let you know

Reagan

CGrindahl

You're right Scott. Amazing to thing that the whole platform is simply floating atop these rubber cushions, moving with changes in temperature and load as well as earthquake shocks. Structural design is fascinating but it is good to remember the technology available when this bridge was designed was quite a bit more rudimentary than it is today. An amazing design and construction feat.

georgms
Total Posts: 3398

Curtis, good job on the bridge-details! And I like the B&W-view - agree with Scott about the nostalgic look.

CGrindahl

A couple of shots from the bridge overlook of landscaping... taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd.

I thought a closer look at the cactus plants in black and white might be interesting...

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2404

Nice pictures on this page

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2878

Ronny, love the shot with the 135mm, pretty, um, bokeh.

Curtis, love your SF shots. Wish I had more time with better weather when I was there. I still have about 500 images to go through, including some my 7-year old niece took with my camera. Girl has talent in spades!

Peter, I will probably be sending you a message soon regarding your post work. I love it! The shot of the P51 is awesome.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2878

Just thought I would give a heads up: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1201925

Nikon just released firmware upgrades for the Nikon D600, D800, D800E, D3, D3X, D3S, D4, D3200 and D7000 DSLR cameras.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9279

pburke wrote:
leighton w wrote: I know this conversion is more true to life. But I actually like the other version better. Look up Gavin Hoey, he's a great PS teacher and I like the look he get's out of his images. Your image reminds me of his.

How'd you know I have been watching his youtube clips lately? He does like Clarity - lots of Clarity. I don't quite go to the 100% he does. Learned a lot from his stuff, especially about how to use tools in Camera Raw such as the adjustment brushes. I guess the vignette I added to the final frame above is also influenced by his massive use of vignetting.

Lucky guess? I really like his style as well as his teaching. I've learned a lot from him, even though he's a Canon shooter! Have you seen the 15 minute challenge where he's at the aviation park?

leighton w
Total Posts: 9279

CGrindahl wrote:

I love this one. Poor Nikki may thinks she's been forgotten.

pburke

leighton w wrote:
Lucky guess? I really like his style as well as his teaching. I've learned a lot from him, even though he's a Canon shooter! Have you seen the 15 minute challenge where he's at the aviation park?

I've seen both aviation park episodes - he did a "revisited" second 15 minute at the same site recently with some Canon mirrorless body. My chacne to shoot planes only comes around once a year, at Oshkosh, and most of them are in really nice shape (although the Mustang above is missing a bolt, if you look closely).

Peter

rolubich
Total Posts: 133

CGrindahl wrote:
Here are a couple of shots taken yesterday with Nikki. I'm still focused on the early part of the day beneath the fog. The first two are from Baker Beach and the last is from the road leading to the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

Beautiful series of the Golden Gate Bridge Curtis, this one and the previous ones.

CGrindahl wrote:

Here is a link to some facts about the bridge.

Golden Gate Bridge Facts

For instance, the weight of the cables and suspender cables is 24,500 TONS...

Thank you for the design detail pictures and the link. As the rubber isolators technology was born in the lates '60, I think the GGB isolators have been placed after the bridge construction, it means they are looking after the bridge.

28-45mm f/4.5 @ 28mm and f/11, I really like this zoom.

2800x4200

Reagan
Total Posts: 2926

Ray O, nice work with the plane
Curtis,your on a roll You will need some rest when Nikki leaves
Ronny, great images of your daughter again

Reagan

1       2       3              2743      
       2745              4235       4236       end