Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2742

1       2       3              2742      
       2744              4302       4303       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2968

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Love it (some of the dark areas seem to have lost their detail though)! Can you share the actions you used?

I can't replicate the above

however, the action it started with was the Surface Detail action I linked to. The rest, well, I call it messing around. All I remember was I duplicated the image in various layers and worked with blending modes (harsh light, darken, etc) and did a black and white layer as overlay.

You asked for clean sky - I went back to raw and redid it "by the book" with surface detail action, with and without the sky masked, and yes, it looks better with the sky unmolested.

First, pretty much straight out of Camera Raw, just some contrast adjustments and sensor spot cleanup (the D7000 I had spit more oil than a Harley)

now with the surface detail action applied just to the plane

My D7000 was more along the lines of a VW Bus with oil.,. Nikon eventually got it sorted with a cleaning of the extractor arm and mirror box replacement. I got lucky and it was taken care of on Nikons dime.

Love the new final image. Going to try it myself. What do you do for sharpening? I know a lot of people use varying strengths of a High Pass filter, do you? I use the Apply Image sharpening technique. A lot cleaner results, just more steps to it. If you are interested I can write it out here for everyone to try.

pburke
Total Posts: 2121

kwoodard wrote:Love the new final image. Going to try it myself. What do you do for sharpening? I know a lot of people use varying strengths of a High Pass filter, do you? I use the Apply Image sharpening technique. A lot cleaner results, just more steps to it. If you are interested I can write it out here for everyone to try.

most of the sharpening on the above image comes from the action itself - only the resized web version got a slight unsharp mask, 50%, 1 pixel radius, 10 levels, just to grab the edges that define the image. Less levels and it will sharpen stuff you don't want to sharpen, more than 10 and you won't see any effect at all.

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

Thank you all, dear forumers, for the compliments concerning the bunnies. Bad luck, according to my wife, they looked way better than they tasted. (Which means: they tasted well. But not well enough. The cookie-part was a bit... flat...)

Reagan
Total Posts: 2993

Thanks, Ray and Georg
Leighton, Thanks for fixing I will try again
Scott,lovely snow on the golf course I am glad I didn't see anything like that
Curtis, I also like Nikki basking by the side of the road

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 9454

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Love it (some of the dark areas seem to have lost their detail though)! Can you share the actions you used?

however, the action it started with was the Surface Detail action I linked to. The rest, well, I call it messing around. All I remember was I duplicated the image in various layers and worked with blending modes (harsh light, darken, etc) and did a black and white layer as overlay.

You asked for clean sky - I went back to raw and redid it "by the book" with surface detail action, with and without the sky masked, and yes, it looks better with the sky unmolested.

First, pretty much straight out of Camera Raw, just some contrast adjustments and sensor spot cleanup (the D7000 I had spit more oil than a Harley)

now with the surface detail action applied just to the plane

I know this conversion is more true to life. But I actually like the other version better. Look up Gavin Hoey, he's a great PS teacher and I like the look he get's out of his images. Your image reminds me of his.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9454

CGrindahl wrote:
Here's a monitor breaker from the south vista point for the Golden Gate bridge. This is a three shot panorama taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Sorry Leighton... it is large in dimensions but only a bit over 300kb in size.

No need to apologize, I love it! Every time I see this bridge close up I'm reminded of what it must have taken to build this behemoth.

pburke

related video link: The Bay Area from stabilized aerial platform - features the bridge and other landmarks Curtis has been showing us: https://vimeo.com/62831216

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7749

Gotta love Lake Erie effect snow! I'll never forget running out of Buffalo just ahead of one of those massive snow dumps at Thanksgiving. When we got to Boston, we found out that Buffalo had closed due to the 25 inches of snow that fell. All cleaned up by the time we made the return trip after Thanksgiving

mp356 wrote:
Curtis, you do live in a beautiful area. I am really enjoying seeing it through yours and Nikki's eyes. By contrast, this one was taken on my way to work today. With the snow, somehow it feels like it is still Aprils Fools Day. Taken with the 28 2.8 ais on the V1.

Scott

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2968

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Here's a monitor breaker from the south vista point for the Golden Gate bridge. This is a three shot panorama taken with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Sorry Leighton... it is large in dimensions but only a bit over 300kb in size.

No need to apologize, I love it! Every time I see this bridge close up I'm reminded of what it must have taken to build this behemoth.

My great uncle was part of the painting crew for the bridge. He was one of the lucky ones that got to hang by a rope to paint the underside. 😱

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 221

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Harley resolved their oil "issues" over 10 years ago, where have you been?

Zichar
Total Posts: 3549

Sorry 'bout the snow but that's a lovely image, Scott!

pburke

mike-in-ak wrote:
pburke wrote: .

Harley resolved their oil "issues" over 10 years ago, where have you been?

but aren't those all boring auto-focus Harleys?

georgms
Total Posts: 3453

Chuong, I really like your "architectural stuff" with the 16/3.5, especially how you've framed the curved building at the last shot.

Peter, I like the first posted version of the P38 the most (or is it "the best"). Thanks for sharing the informations about your workflow.

Curtis, the vertical shot (in B&W) of the Golden Gate is very nicely done. Good to hear that the fear-related photo-restrictions for this fantastic building are history.

georgms
Total Posts: 3453

Scott and Ray - thanks for your comments on the wet stone! It was just a play with a shot that was a bit too boring in it's original shape.

Here's a picture taken this morning in a former convent/nunnery. It's the historico-cultural museum of my hometown now and underwent a costly restoration.
The medieval cross vault is everything but "straight", impossible to get a symmetrical shot.

taken with my beloved 16/3.5 at f/8, D3s, ISO3200, 1/40sec
the painting at the upper left side was behind my back on the wall - my neck still hurts...

pburke

leighton w wrote: I know this conversion is more true to life. But I actually like the other version better. Look up Gavin Hoey, he's a great PS teacher and I like the look he get's out of his images. Your image reminds me of his.

How'd you know I have been watching his youtube clips lately? He does like Clarity - lots of Clarity. I don't quite go to the 100% he does. Learned a lot from his stuff, especially about how to use tools in Camera Raw such as the adjustment brushes. I guess the vignette I added to the final frame above is also influenced by his massive use of vignetting.

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

raboof wrote:
More architectural stuff with the 16mm f3.5

Chuong, I like the perspective in this one.

mp356

georgms wrote:
Scott and Ray - thanks for your comments on the wet stone! It was just a play with a shot that was a bit too boring in it's original shape.

Here's a picture taken this morning in a former convent/nunnery. It's the historico-cultural museum of my hometown now and underwent a costly restoration.
The medieval cross vault is everything but "straight", impossible to get a symmetrical shot.

taken with my beloved 16/3.5 at f/8, D3s, ISO3200, 1/40sec
the painting at the upper left side was behind my back on the wall - my neck still hurts...

Georg, very deceiving geometry here. Without knowing the lens used and your angle of view, I would have not realized this was such a wide shot. I bet your neck does hurt!

mp356

Thank you Reagan, Laura, and Chin for the comments on the snow scene. Just as cold today but not as much snow flurry activity. Fingers crossed for 50 degrees tomorrow.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13159

Here are a couple of shots taken yesterday with Nikki. I'm still focused on the early part of the day beneath the fog. The first two are from Baker Beach and the last is from the road leading to the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

pburke

B25 Mitchell "Panchito" at EAA show last summer - boring plain shot, only special part here is the sharpening done in Photoshop using the High Pass filter method. Do like it, now that I played around with it, but this shot just looks boring like this

D7000, 105mm f2.5 shot at f/5.6 1/400s, iso 100

I took a slightly darker version of the same angle to possiby do an HDR combo with the above, but I just went off the chain in Camera Raw with this one. The only thing I did in Photoshop was clone out the reflection on the prop blade and then do some High Pass sharpening after resiszing. Everything else is done in Camera Raw. I adjusted contrast globally with the curve thing, added 100 Clarity and some luminance, then went into the colors and removed saturation on all colors but the green seen on the engine cowling, added post crop vignette (much better than anything done with lens correction, as there is more control. After that FX button and add lots and lots of grain, coarse and large and random, so it's like 1940s film and still visible on the web sized image. Sky still was boring, but a light blue gradient filter across the top fixed that. Too dark in some areas of the cab - easily fixed with adjustment brushing in some exposure. Darkening of the turret and prop was done with a different adjustment brush. Then into Photoshop for the finale where I removed the lens flare

So here's the "Gavin-Hoey-ized" B25, D7000, 105mm f2.5 shot at f/5.6 1/1600s, iso 100

Peter (who went off the reservation yesterday and ordered a Rokinon 14mm...)

1       2       3              2742      
       2744              4302       4303       end