Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2733

1       2       3              2733      
       2735              4425       4426       end

Oosty
Total Posts: 4051

Leighton - wow! The greens look great.

Rafael - tack sharp. Love 'em.

Reagan - hope you worked off that lunch!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1548

leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Curtis will remember he sent me on a difficult quest for a perfect 55mm 1.2 SC to match my 55mm 1.2 S and 55mm 1.2 AI. Bought one that had to go back, here is another candidate just purchased, we are hoping this is a keeper.

If I had to have only one lens it would be a 55 1.2.

Yea, but which version?

K, AI or SC, their optics are the same, SC is prettier. S and NKJ are also excellent and have sweet full aperture rendition but one small notch less in performance. (IMHO)

Thanks. You're not the only one who likes the 55's better than the 50/1.2. But to my eye, I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Do you have any side-by-side examples?

Will do a side by side next weekend when this lens comes in. All 50's, 5cm s, 5.8cm, 50mm H, 50mm 1.8, 55 1.2's, 50 1.2, etc. at full ap and 5.6 only. all other aps are for exposure control only!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9763

I would appreciate that Rafael.

Thank you Peter.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

georgms wrote:
Yesterday I've tried again to shoot some sports with MF-Nikkors. The 135/2 Ais worked quite well for wheelchair table tennis (for table tennis in general).
A weak spot of this fine Nikkor is the tendency to show longitudinal CA's even under normal shooting-conditions.

image not cropped, 135/2 Ais on a D7000 at ISO2000, 1/640sec at f/2.8-4

Some hours later the local inline-skater-hockey team played a test-match against a team from Copenhagen.
I had the option to shoot through a safety-net or without protection from the boards. Here are two images from the boards:

Btw, the shots above are not processed in any way, just cropped a bit (or not) and resized during "save for web" - with some PP the pictures will be technically good enough for a fairly-sized newspaper-print.

Very nice shot. The reviews on the 135mm 2.0 are certainly mixed but this is a very nice example!

rafaelcasd

leighton w wrote:
I would appreciate that Rafael.

Thank you Peter.

Even the first humble nipon kogaku 5cm 2.0 S from 1960 does a great job at full aperture, special type of look, the 50mm 1.2 would be sharper but more common in appearance. (Car is for scale, the subjects are the beautiful yellow flower bushes and I have no acccess to Reagan's pretty models)

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D800 yellow bushes. jpg by Rafael CA, on Flickr

georgms
Total Posts: 3515

Rafael, a hearty "Thank you" for your kind words on the melting snow shot!
Congrats to your additional copy of Nikon's legendary 55/1.2 - it's for sure one of my most loved MF-Nikkors.
If I manage to nail focus it's a very capable lens even at f/1.2.
Can't wait to see your comparison. Btw, I hope you didn't exchanged your beautiful red Corvette C3 (?) for the shiny new example above ;-)

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1135

(repeat in my head) ignore the NMFAS ignore the NMFAS focus on the pictures only ....

Reagan that is a wonderful chapel in a gorgeous setting.

georgms wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Out and about with the D600. The first one is especially for Leighton

24mm 2.8 AIS F2.8 at 1/320

Ray, as much as I like the goat-portrait, the image above really caught my attention: exemplary work with a 24 wide open and close-up.
I just love this look and you've found a very nice subject to demonstrate this.

+1

The next picture taken with "pre-processing" - rainy day through the windshield last week .... need a good name for this filter :-) and just b+w conversion, sharpening, + clarity in LR.

rafaelcasd

georgms wrote:
Rafael, a hearty "Thank you" for your kind words on the melting snow shot!
Congrats to your additional copy of Nikon's legendary 55/1.2 - it's for sure one of my most loved MF-Nikkors.
If I manage to nail focus it's a very capable lens even at f/1.2.
Can't wait to see your comparison. Btw, I hope you didn't exchanged your beautiful red Corvette C3 (?) for the shiny new example above ;-)

Georg,

No, it is just a stand in while I finish installing the new top on the C3.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3118

Have had family in town for the last week. We went all over the Sacramento area as well as San Francisco. As I edit, I will post. Here are some early edits and one shot from yesterday...

Series E 50mm

Random glasses left on a banister.

DSC_7379 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Bokeh play @ f/1.8

DSC_7388 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Pre-visualized shot... Very dark basement lit by a single light. Wanted a dark and foreboding feeling to the image, treated accordingly.

DSC_7393 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Series E 28mm

The Golden Gate bridge as seen from Fort Baker. This is a 6-shot stack HDR. Still learning how to do these, there is a little bit of ghosting that I will need to revisit. Thing to note with this one, it was raining at the time I took the picture. Thank goodness the D7000 is weather sealed and I keep desiccant sacks in my camera bag. Everything was dry in less than an hour.

Updated image below... Deleted the other one off Flickr. (Sorry to whomever favorited it, I feel this version is superior)

Golden Gate 6-Shot HDR by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

leighton w
Total Posts: 9763

Kevin, this may very well be your best set ever on this thread. I love ALL of them, well done!

georgms

kwoodard wrote:
Have had family in town for the last week. We went all over the Sacramento area as well as San Francisco. As I edit, I will post. Here are some early edits and one shot from yesterday...

Wow, Kevin, fantastic set!
Basically I like all four images, hard to pick a fav. The glasses are perfectly framed, love the reflections on the glass. The bokeh-play makes me wanna play too ;-)
And the B&W's are wonderfully done too - your processing works great on the mysterious basement-shot (I'm just wondering about the "smooth", grainless area) and the Golden Gate Bridge is very nice in B&W (I would maybe bring down the light tones at the lower right corner, but that's just nit-picking).
Keep'em coming!

georgms

pbraymond wrote:
(repeat in my head) ignore the NMFAS ignore the NMFAS focus on the pictures only ....

The next picture taken with "pre-processing" - rainy day through the windshield last week .... need a good name for this filter :-) and just b+w conversion, sharpening, + clarity in LR.

Very nice weather-feature! Hmm, how about "Rainy day, dream away" or "Mother nature rulez" as a name for your unique "filter"?

georgms

Thanks for the kind comments on my recently posted shots - much appreciated!
Here's one from yesterday evening - an easter-fire at the beach (please note the "Shutter-Island"-lighthouse in the background ;-):

...taken with the 24/2Ai at f/2.8, D700 at ISO1600, 1/15sec, camera hand-held above my head
An ash-flake or snow-flake was responsible for the ghosting/reflex at the upper left area.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:
Kevin, this may very well be your best set ever on this thread. I love ALL of them, well done!

A big plus to that. The last one is especially awsome!

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1135

Forgot to say thanks for the kind comments on my 55 degree day post..... spring is about to be sprung!

Kevin, the set of four is from Sacramento / SF area looks great, the capture and PP complement each other well. Looks like you're managing to balance a good time with family and photography on the same trip.

Georg, the easter fire picture is the type of top notch stuff I definitely enjoy form you. I can typically tell it's a Georg photo before I even read the post.

Reagan, be careful or the states north of Florida may grow on you.

Reagan
Total Posts: 3181

^^^^^^^
Ray, I would move tomorrow but my wife still has 4 years to work
I loved Greenville, SC. Close to the mountains and a couple of hours to the ocean
Wouldn't mind living out west either just need a winning lotto ticket The wife is the one who loves Florida

Reagan

saph
Total Posts: 2489

Kevin, just wonderful with the Series E lenses!! First and last are my favorites.

kwoodard wrote:

Series E 50mm

Random glasses left on a banister.

Bokeh play @ f/1.8

Pre-visualized shot... Very dark basement lit by a single light. Wanted a dark and foreboding feeling to the image, treated accordingly.

Series E 28mm

The Golden Gate bridge as seen from Fort Baker. This is a 6-shot stack HDR. Still learning how to do these, there is a little bit of ghosting that I will need to revisit. Thing to note with this one, it was raining at the time I took the picture. Thank goodness the D7000 is weather sealed and I keep desiccant sacks in my camera bag. Everything was dry in less than an hour.

saph
Total Posts: 2489

Ray (OH), love that rust and bokeh shot.

Rafael, great find with that 55 1.2. And cool images with the vintage 5cm.

Peter, very funny analogy, although just thinking about anyone getting pummeled by a champion boxer for that many rounds is very painful I guess next time at that zoo I will have to be patient enough to get the boat billed heron's best side for the full effect

Here's another one with the 135 f2 AI, wide open. Queen of all she surveys..

kpc011895
Total Posts: 84

My first three manual focus lenses, extension rings, and bellows are in the mail I saw a deal on ebay and am going to be delving into the world of manual focus lenses

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13595

Great set Kevin, but I think I'd better get copyright protection for the location of the last shot. YOU FOUND IT! Very nicely done. But did you go to the top of the Headlands?

Sorry folks, I'm going to break some monitors here. It has been a wet, windy, cloudy day with sun occasionally peeking through. Before I shot this I was sitting in my car with rain falling down. Then the sun came out and I ventured outside with the 24 f/2.8 H.C. AI'd mounted. This is what I got... at 1600 pixels wide to show off the details.

It would have been perfect if the freighter had been approaching the Golden Gate bridge instead of being lost in the wires... but such is life. When he was on this side the rain was falling and no sunlight was on the city center.

1       2       3              2733      
       2735              4425       4426       end