Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2728

1       2       3              2728      
       2730              5886       5887       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

CGrindahl wrote:
I think you should keep the 55 Peter, especially at that price. It is a versatile lens and a nice focal length for walking around campus. Wonderful set with a bit of whimsy, which is always welcome. I've only visited Madison once and that a weekend jaunt with a bunch of college friends from Minneapolis. I grew up in Richfield, a suburb to the south of the city but left a long time ago for warmer climes... Seeing your mountain photos it is clear you have no aversion to snow and cold, but actually seek it out. I don't understand people like you...

I am happy, however, that you've decided to spend a bit more time on this thread and that you're sharing your experience with these classic lenses.

thanks Curtis, I do plan to keep the lens, although it is not going on any mountain climbs. Regarding cold - Minnesota is stupid cold and literally in a different climate zone (Madison is that little greed dot at the bottom of WI in this map). We don't have natural air conditioning here like you do, but you can dress for the cold, not for 100F with 100% humidity. Biggest advantage of the cold - it kills bugs dead once a year. The winters are just a little too long for me - I grew up in central Germany where the trees get green in April. We are just starting to see the trees get leafs here in mid May now.

Finally spring - even in the concrete canyons downtown (55mm again)

we even have flowers now

designdog
Total Posts: 227

Hello!

I am interested in extending my reach with my Nikon MF lenses a bit. Want to get an extender for macro photography, and a conversion for telephoto.

The lenses I have now that are best candidates for this are the 105 2.5 AI-s, the 135 2.8 AI-s, and the 180 2.8ED AI-s. Obviously, I will want to use the tele convertor on the 180 (if possible) and maybe it is the best candidate for macro as well.

What say you?

PS. Have a 50-135 3.5 AI-s coming soon!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Rafael you have an amazing collection of lenses beautifully displayed!
Phillippe love the colors in your boat photo. I can see how this caught your eye.
Leighton you have done a wonderful job with the Nikki Blog. Very professionally done!
Peter those autos are beautiful and the pano sunset - amazing!
Leighton I guess I am going to have to get Lightroom 5 cause that looks cool!
Georg great photos especially the camels. I love going to the zoo!
Peter these photos are among your best especially the water photo and the building glass - so cool!
Curtis the bird of paradise is just wonderful - such color!
Thank you leighton and Samy. I really enjoyed using the 35mm at the beach. I used very minor post work.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Samy, Scott, Peter, Curtis and Leighton - thanks for your words on the zoo-shots!

Peter, the lemur (a "she", she even carries a newborn under her belly) was for the very first time on the new open-air enclosure.
Every crow at the sky made her running for cover - these animals need some time to be comfortable with their new home. The eyes are always amazing.

Here's another shot from the zoo - no animals this time, just some fresh green in B&W ;-)

I've tried a light processing here - 35/1.4 at about f/8 on the V1
It's just another experiment to create a sunburst/sunstar with an unsharp background.

georgms

Ray, thanks for your comment! Yes, going to the zoo is wisely spent time ;-)
Your sunset is gorgeous, the wet beach looks like liquid metal.

georgms

Peter, great stuff taken with the venerable 55/1.2! I really love the "bokeh-berry" and the "tracks to nirvana".

pburke

Not no expert on teleconverters for the 180, but I am sure something will fit, even if it is made by Kenko. For macro, just about any tube will do - for longer lenses you will need longer tubes, for wide angles very thin extenders. Usually they come in a set of various lengths. Pretty much any brand will do - there's nothing special about these things unless you want to use AF lenses as well, which is when you need extenders that pass the pin contacts through to the body.

georgms

Curtis, love the first shot with the 200/4 QC and tube. The colors are fantastic indeed.

pburke

One more bokeh fest with the 55mm f1.2. The fire department's hookup at the new power station, still all shiny.

f2 1/2500s ISO 100

and in color up close

f1.2 1/4000s ISO 100

in 100% zoom I noticed some crud in the bokeh rings far left - I assume what I see here is dirt in the lens? Healing brush took care of it

georgms

Peter, love the B&W hookup! Shiny metal works usually very well in B&W, your picture is the best proof.

georgms

From an art-exhibition today:

taken with my battered 35/1.4 Ai at f/2

pburke

georgms wrote:

scratching myhead here - is the image on the left a mirror?

georgms

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

scratching myhead here - is the image on the left a mirror?

Yes, it's a mirror. The images on the other side are backlit.

pburke

almost forgot this bokeh shot - no vignette was added here (it just got amplified by the processing). 55mm f/1.2 @f/1.2 1/2500s with polarizer. Atmospherical Sciences building next door to my office.

Adam Mullins
Total Posts: 8

I am looking for help identifying this lens. Many people think it is a WW2 Japanese aerial lens.

I have more images and info here. Any help would be appreciated.
http://adammullinsphoto.blogspot.com/

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

leighton w wrote:
pburke wrote:
I took the 55mm f1.2 for a quick spin around the office on campus for a few frames - all on D600 handheld, most outdoor shots with linear Marumi Polarizer

f/2.0 1/1250s ISO 100

I really like this one, you're gonna love this lens, there's so many options on how to use it.

+1 fantastic picture!

Lieutenant Z

georgms wrote:

Georg very nicely done! I really liked the lemur shot too !

Ray, nice Sunset!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Adam Mullins wrote:
I am looking for help identifying this lens. Many people think it is a WW2 Japanese aerial lens.

Adam, the lens certainly is a monster! And it's the right colour for military use but the only thing i wouldn't expect in a WWll lens is the Eurpoean alphabet - unless Nikon thought the war was lost and were doing some advance marketing if they got captured

Nice blog.

Lieutenant Z

Here are Z' & Z " :

pburke

Adam Mullins wrote:

there's another thread here, somebody else asking about the same lens.

most likely aerial recon lens from WW2 and it won't mount on your D800

1       2       3              2728      
       2730              5886       5887       end