Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2722

1       2       3              2722      
2723
       2724              3819       3820       end

CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 11960
Country: United States

This is how I spent the evening...


And my partner in draining that bottle. We split the cost of a $60 bottle of single malt Scotch whisky and spent four very leisurely evenings listening to Bach's Cello Suites and slowly sipping what is an excellent Scotch.


Shot with the 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, better known as Nikki.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 3943
Country: South Africa

CGrindahl wrote:
I posted this on a couple of other threads, but it really belongs here... a shot using Nikki with a PK-13 extension tube attached.


Nikki works with tubes too!


She certainly does - beautiful.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 3943
Country: South Africa

designdog wrote:
Here is an update on my D700.

I am proud to say that I figured out what was wrong with it on my own: nothing.

Here's the deal. As Thom Hogan and others counsel, I have kept my camera in the on position. Normally not a problem. Unless you leave a chipped Rokinon 85 1.4 on your D700 overnight. Drained the internal battery and the grip battery all the way down. Took 3 hours to charge each.

Imagine my smug self satisfaction when I put the first battery back in and everything came right back up!

I am keeping the D700. Just something about it that appeals to me. And others I guess — a new one costs as much as a D800.

I will also keep the Fuji for now. Lightroom is getting better with x trans files, and I can't afford a Leica!

Now I just have to find someone who has a 25-50 4 and wants an 85 2 ais!


Good news about the D700. I caught up on Strobist yesterday and he's in love with his FujiX100 which he indicates is as good as a Leica except the lens is fixed



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 3943
Country: South Africa

CGrindahl wrote:
This is how I spent the evening...

And my partner in draining that bottle. We split the cost of a $60 bottle of single malt Scotch whisky and spent four very leisurely evenings listening to Bach's Cello Suites and slowly sipping what is an excellent Scotch.




Do we attribute the slight softness to The Laddie Ten?



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 929
Country: United States

The sky was beautiful here tonight at work. I would have loved to run down to the beach for sunset, but work prevailed. I was curious how the 16mm faired wide open, so I racked it out to infinity and shot this. Pretty decent DOF at ƒ3.5. Not how I would normally shoot this but it was still a decent test.

–Tony


Ganahl Sunset by T&J Photography, on Flickr



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 929
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Okay, one last close shot with Nikki and her new best friend, the PK-13...


Curtis,

Your work with Nikki has been great, just as expected. Your shots are an excellent way to end the journey!

Tony



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 658
Country: Switzerland

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm afraid Nikki has a bad case of extension tube fever... Or perhaps I'M the one with the disease...

Regardless, both Nikki and an extension tube found their way to my camera this afternoon and no one should be surprised at what happened... Magic!



What a surprise. Great lens + great photographer = great magical photographs.

I've been looking forward to your putting Nikki on extension tubes and glad you got a chance to do so, she's really shining!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8617
Country: United States

Paul Gardner wrote:
leighton w: Are we doubles?


I don't think so, I'm much better looking!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8617
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I posted this on a couple of other threads, but it really belongs here... a shot using Nikki with a PK-13 extension tube attached.


Nikki works with tubes too!


Nikki looks like she loves the tubes. Well done! I'm still waiting to see downtown SF.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8617
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
This is how I spent the evening...


And my partner in draining that bottle. We split the cost of a $60 bottle of single malt Scotch whisky and spent four very leisurely evenings listening to Bach's Cello Suites and slowly sipping what is an excellent Scotch.

It took y'all four evenings to drink that?!



deang001
Registered: Apr 23, 2011
Total Posts: 1499
Country: China

CGrindahl wrote:
This is how I spent the evening...


And my partner in draining that bottle. We split the cost of a $60 bottle of single malt Scotch whisky and spent four very leisurely evenings listening to Bach's Cello Suites and slowly sipping what is an excellent Scotch.


Looks like the bokeh gets smoother toward the end of the bottle

Nice shots.



deang001
Registered: Apr 23, 2011
Total Posts: 1499
Country: China

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I posted this on a couple of other threads, but it really belongs here... a shot using Nikki with a PK-13 extension tube attached.

Nikki works with tubes too!


Nikki looks like she loves the tubes. Well done! I'm still waiting to see downtown SF.


She certainly does ! Really nicely done, Curtis.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 658
Country: Switzerland

After a moment of bad luck it's always nice to have some good…
I was doing some spring cleaning in the kellar and found something I didn't know I had, and certainly forgot I had bought…brilliant.

Just a quick trial with the 55mm micro and it works fine, optically very clean.

Now I read that these were made only for use with lenses up to 200mm, so will it not work at all with the 300mm or just not as sharp?

Kind regards,
Mark.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7196
Country: United States

Good to know about the Rokinon trouble too. Note to self, don't leave it on camera. Glad there's actually nothing wrong with the camera, I was going to suggest using the adapter to plug it in and see if it fired up that way. (additional expense though, but since it works on several other cameras I have too, I have one)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820410-REG/Nikon_27055_EH_5B_AC_Adapter_for.html

designdog wrote:
Here is an update on my D700.

I am proud to say that I figured out what was wrong with it on my own: nothing.

Here's the deal. As Thom Hogan and others counsel, I have kept my camera in the on position. Normally not a problem. Unless you leave a chipped Rokinon 85 1.4 on your D700 overnight. Drained the internal battery and the grip battery all the way down. Took 3 hours to charge each.

Imagine my smug self satisfaction when I put the first battery back in and everything came right back up!

I am keeping the D700. Just something about it that appeals to me. And others I guess — a new one costs as much as a D800.

I will also keep the Fuji for now. Lightroom is getting better with x trans files, and I can't afford a Leica!

Now I just have to find someone who has a 25-50 4 and wants an 85 2 ais!



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7196
Country: United States

Mark, I used mine with the 300 f/4.5 with no problems.

MarkdV wrote:
After a moment of bad luck it's always nice to have some good…
I was doing some spring cleaning in the kellar and found something I didn't know I had, and certainly forgot I had bought…brilliant.

Just a quick trial with the 55mm micro and it works fine, optically very clean.

Now I read that these were made only for use with lenses up to 200mm, so will it not work at all with the 300mm or just not as sharp?

Kind regards,
Mark.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 3943
Country: South Africa

Tried to get a photo of a friend's granddaughter with a bubble blowing fish as she ran around their deck. Impossible for me with MF!! She did, however, show me the "fishie". Using the old 50mm f2 self Ai'd - it is a sweet little lens.



deang001
Registered: Apr 23, 2011
Total Posts: 1499
Country: China

These are from a little island off Hong Kong we visited today called Yim Tin Tsai (Little Salt Field) that I only found out about last week. People used to live here from around 300 yrs ago, but the whole island has been abandoned since the early 1990's (I think). Not sure why. The place is littered with colourful old derelict village houses and is starting to be over run by nature which makes for some cool photography. There is some life starting to happen here again with some organic gardening going on.

I'll be back here for sure to explore further

All taken with the 50/1.2 Ai-S.


DSC_6389 by deang0001, on Flickr


DSC_6367 by deang0001, on Flickr


DSC_6353 by deang0001, on Flickr


DSC_6333 by deang0001, on Flickr



raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 1335
Country: N/A

Dean - Abandoned village...WOW! If I were there, my D700 probably will need a shutter replacement once I am done shooting Awesome shots.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 658
Country: Switzerland

deang001 wrote:
These are from a little island off Hong Kong we visited today called Yim Tin Tsai (Little Salt Field) that I only found out about last week. People used to live here from around 300 yrs ago, but the whole island has been abandoned since the early 1990's (I think). Not sure why. The place is littered with colourful old derelict village houses and is starting to be over run by nature which makes for some cool photography. There is some life starting to happen here again with some organic gardening going on.

I'll be back here for sure to explore further

All taken with the 50/1.2 Ai-S.


Wow, just beautiful.
I think I read an article on this place recently, after the last bond film came out there was a series on the abandoned islands that the bad guys lair was based on. Great to see it after reading abut it.
I think it was simply economic reasons most of these places were abandoned, salt doesn't bring in the money it used to.



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 1864
Country: Sweden

Great shot Dean



1       2       3              2722      
2723
       2724              3819       3820       end