Total Posts: 9440

Jose - Love the leaf shot.

Georg - Wonderful flowers in the snow.

leighton w

Chin- FANTASTIC!!!

pburke
Total Posts: 2112

how do you follow something like this panorama?

Work commute pictures with my 20/f3.5 from this morning. I thought since everyone else is showing flowers, I should take the camera long and look for spring as well. Sunny on my bike route today, warmer than it's been in weeks. You can't smell spring quite yet, but it's just about here

First a self portrait at the highest point of my 13.4 mile route to work. This is hard to do alone - note the remote trigger in my right hand. D600, 20mm/f3.5 @f11 1/125s iso 100, remote fill flash (should have changed it to rear curtain)

another - this one at 1/60s, rest the same

Peter

MarkdV
Total Posts: 743

Wow Chin, incredible.

Georg, as always your skill at creating striking B&W pictures is amazing. Hopefully more flowers and less snow soon.

Jose, love the 75-150mm with the enlarging lens, great shot.

m1mgd00 - nice shots with the 28-50 and I like the last one from the 105 as well. I hope we will see more from you and your collection of MF lenses soon.

pburke
Total Posts: 2112

Downtown Madison Spring 2013 images

Lake Monona, 20mm f3.5 @f22 1/100s iso 100 - frame 518 on this D600 and I spent 10 minutes removing oil spots with the healing brush... time to buy that cleaning kit #@$#%

Monona Terrace from right "in the lake" - if it was actually spring... so this is "on the lake

20mm/f3.5 @ f11, 1/125s, Marumi DRG polarizer (on all photos today) and remote fill flash on the ice

similar shot at the actual shore line, 20mm/f3.5 @ f11, 1/100s, flash, polarizer

and here a 4 image depth of field stack, hand-held. Really wanted to see how well that works. Other than having to remove oil spots on 4 images before blending, this worked quite well, but I still had to go in and rubber stamp clone a few details from the proper originals. All frames f11 1/160s, polarizer, iso100

this image has content from about 10 inches (ice on right edge) to a mile away (water tower on horizon center, other side of the lake)

crop showing ice 10 inches away in front of infinity shore line. You can see some artifacts, but this really only took 2 minutes in Photoshop to put together:

Peter

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

m1mgd00 wrote:
Been lurking in this thread for awhile, so I thought I'd start to share. I've been using MF Nikkors since before there was AF, but my collection has grown in recent years as prices have dropped to absurd levels.

I went to the conservatory garden in Central Park the other day. Spring has only just sprung here (hopefully it will stick around), and there weren't many signs of life yet, but I came away with a few shots I liked.

These are with the 28-50 f/3.5 AIS.

And this one is with the 105 f/2.5 AIS:

Welcome - an excellent debut.

We'd love to know who you are as "M1etc" is a bit of a mouthful

Oosty

georgms wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments on my recent pictures - much appreciated!
Here's an image taken a few minutes ago taken with the PC 85/2.8 D at an effective aperture of f/7.6

Goerg, I love the snowdrops - gorgeous!

leighton w

Peter, great work all around, but I like the first one of you on your bike the best. That couldn't have been easy and what you came away with was well worth it. Good job!

Oosty

asiostygius wrote:
These E-series at the time they were launched - people criticized them because "cheap construction", but compared to today's (most) plastic zooms this 75-150/3.5 is clearly better made.

Jose - this is a lovely demo of what a good lens can do. I've been impressed at Kevin's work with the E lenses. Fortunately (or unfortunately) none have been available in SA or I'd have been a buyer.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6033

raboof wrote:
I have almost the same experience but with the 20mm f2.8 AF. The corner sharpness is worst than the 20mm f3.5 and the 20mm f4

Actually, I've found the opposite. I just compared my 20/2.8AFD to the formerly yours 20/3.5 AIS and my AF-D is superior, even in the corners to the 20/3.5 at all apertures. I suspect there is some sample variation at play here.

I have not had a lot of time to evaluate the 20/3.5, but it seems in my short time with it there is a lot of field curvature in those corners which may be playing a role here.

John

Oosty

CGrindahl wrote:

Yesterday I was reading a quote I'd copied from a spiritual teacher who much influenced me on the topic of spontaneity. Here is what Jean Klein said...

To discover spontaneity one must go beyond the conventional morality fixed by society. Spontaneity is love and springs from the highest intelligence and integration. It is living moment by moment in the supreme art of self-surrender where conflict is unknown. Action which proceeds from thought, habit, emotion, blind urges and instinct is compulsive and cannot possibly be spontaneous. Spontaneity springs from meditative stillness. It cannot be pursued; no system or technique can teach you spontaneity. In fact one quickly becomes dependent on methods of exclusion and discipline and they lead to a state of reduced sensitivity and automatic and mechanical behaviour. In watchfulness and listening the mind undergoes a penetrating transformation where the intellect sees its limits and is illumined, no longer confused, restless and self-centered. It becomes silent, meditating. Conscious and unconscious agitation must come to an end through observation and understanding for spontaneity to take place. If we go to the source of our actions in the past, we find out how the hidden urges of the subconscious mind deny the spontaneous action that springs from freedom. Then there is a transmutation of our basic nature, its deepest urges and instincts, and energy becomes integrated in completeness, in being. The ending of the becoming process is the beginning of spontaneity. Spontaneity is fullness of energy. It is love.

I'd much rather trust the good will of this group than try in any way to direct this journey. That way I can simply stay in the moment and do what inspires me personally. The thread will take care of itself. It is in good hands...

Thus endeth the lesson for the day...

You've summed it up. If we'd had any type of dictator at the helm the majority of the group would have gone elsewhere. Tolerance and freedom of expression (except for MF glass on anything other than Nikon!) are at the core of this unique thread.

Oosty

Zichar wrote:
Okay here's a 14 shot pano that brought my machine to its knees
And paying it forward

Taken with the 45PCE just so I could qualify for this thread

Absolutely stunning image Chin - and you have to live there? Wow!!!

Oosty

pburke wrote:
how do you follow something like this panorama?

Work commute pictures with my 20/f3.5 from this morning. I thought since everyone else is showing flowers, I should take the camera long and look for spring as well. Sunny on my bike route today, warmer than it's been in weeks. You can't smell spring quite yet, but it's just about here

First a self portrait at the highest point of my 13.4 mile route to work. This is hard to do alone - note the remote trigger in my right hand. D600, 20mm/f3.5 @f11 1/125s iso 100, remote fill flash (should have changed it to rear curtain)

Peter

Excellent Peter. I thought there'd be at least one of you on your back in a snow drift.

leighton w

To discover spontaneity one must go beyond the conventional morality fixed by society. Spontaneity is love and springs from the highest intelligence and integration. It is living moment by moment in the supreme art of self-surrender where conflict is unknown. Action which proceeds from thought, habit, emotion, blind urges and instinct is compulsive and cannot possibly be spontaneous. Spontaneity springs from meditative stillness. It cannot be pursued; no system or technique can teach you spontaneity. In fact one quickly becomes dependent on methods of exclusion and discipline and they lead to a state of reduced sensitivity and automatic and mechanical behaviour. In watchfulness and listening the mind undergoes a penetrating transformation where the intellect sees its limits and is illumined, no longer confused, restless and self-centered. It becomes silent, meditating. Conscious and unconscious agitation must come to an end through observation and understanding for spontaneity to take place. If we go to the source of our actions in the past, we find out how the hidden urges of the subconscious mind deny the spontaneous action that springs from freedom. Then there is a transmutation of our basic nature, its deepest urges and instincts, and energy becomes integrated in completeness, in being. The ending of the becoming process is the beginning of spontaneity. Spontaneity is fullness of energy. It is love.

CGrindahl wrote:

Yesterday I was reading a quote I'd copied from a spiritual teacher who much influenced me on the topic of spontaneity. Here is what Jean Klein said...
I'd much rather trust the good will of this group than try in any way to direct this journey. That way I can simply stay in the moment and do what inspires me personally. The thread will take care of itself. It is in good hands...

Thus endeth the lesson for the day...

Oosty wrote:
You've summed it up. If we'd had any type of dictator at the helm the majority of the group would have gone elsewhere. Tolerance and freedom of expression (except for MF glass on anything other than Nikon!) are at the core of this unique thread.

I think world governments could learn something about getting along from forums like this.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13152

I agree Leighton... Henry Kissinger said "power is the great aphrodisiac." I'm afraid that immature souls find it seductive, therefore worth pursuing. That is the reason, of course, why perennial philosophies exist, to show us a better way of living this precious gift we've been given with incarnation.

Taking photos along the way is surely a good use of time... Especially with MF Nikon lenses...

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Help!

The sun finally came out in Richmond, and I grabbed my D700 to take some photos. It is dead. As a doorknob. Nothing comes on any screen, no lights, no shutter, nothing even with turning it on and off, changing lenses, cards etc. Now, I have the Nikon battery pack, and I took it off. Nothing. Tried reversing the batteries. Nothing. I am patiently charging both batteries again as a last resort.

Called KEH, from whom I bought this (LN, 900 shutter count) and they were very nice. It is under their warranty, and they will get it fixed. (Donít have a comparable replacement.) They sent me a RA.

Also spoke to their sales people about an idea I have had. Seems I am not using my Fuji x Pro 1 and 3 primes. What if I just traded them and the D700 to a D800, or D800E? Yes, I can do that, and have some cash left over.

So I wonder. Are my lenses good enough for the D800/D800E (see below)? I am not using the Fuji stuff now, but I might some day, and I am only getting about 50% for very new, very perfect equipment. I am confident KEH will get my D700 repaired, and back to me, if that is the direction I choose...

So... this may be a crossroads. Thoughts?

Lens List: MF: 28 2.8 AI-s, 50 1.2 AI-s, 85 2 AI, 105 2.5 AI-s, 135 2.8 AI-s, 180 2.8ED AI-s,Rokinon 85 1.4
AF: 18-35mm 3.5-4.5D IF-ED, 35-70 2.8D, 70-210 4D

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

MDoc9523 wrote:
^^^^^
I agree Chin wonderful shot!
It Looks like a ship on top of the three buildings

+1

but I'm begging you Chin, stop posting with the 45PCE. I can't buy another lens!

ben

m1mgd00
Total Posts: 118

Ray, Mark, Peter, etc.,

Thanks for the good wishes and comments! And I'm sorry I forgot to add my name (Mike) to my first post. I will keep 'em coming, though not quite as prodigiously as some of you (not unless I want to embarrass myself; there is a lot of really spectacular work in this thread).

Mike

1       2       3              2719      
       2721              4297       4298       end