/forum/topic/929565/2714

1       2       3              2714      
       2716              5891       5892       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Thanks Jeff, Ronny, Mark and Georg.

Yes Phillip, it was the 105/2.8 MF micro;

Jeff, fantastic "clouds & light" capture;

Ronny, if that is possible, your last flower is better than the others!!!

Leighton, loved the flooding set and the "after the storm" image;

Mark, another great Lago di Garda set and great history lesson;

Philippe, beautiful Provence set;

Peter B, loved the natural lokking HDRs, and congrats on your new old 55/1.2S;

Curtis, I'm glad I was the culprit of your "infection" by the 200/4 QC

Ben, loved Nikki's nightscapes;

Mihai, hope you have the nicest and "smoothest" surgery in the world.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

leighton w wrote:
Mishu01 wrote:
Greetings all! I enjoy all your great contribution to the thread with the sorrow that I have no time to join the party... at least not for now In ten days I am scheduled for my hip replacement surgery and lot of things needs to be done in advance, both on my private and my professional life. I just wanted to greet you all, to congrats you for the unbelievable quality of the images. Keep them coming and remember that someone here is watching you

Oh... and another reason to stop... Curtis, the cost of properties in Romania is quite down at this time and there are people like Charles, the former husband of Lady Di who are in love for the old rural area, especially in Transylvania, purchasing properties there... You and Sue can have a great experience moving here... the speed of internet is higher and the photographic opportunities are very rich... Also, if you decide to move here I promise to share with you the use of my beloved Noct

jhinkey wrote:
I think there needs to be a poll started as to where Curtis should move to . . .

Good idea John. I'll start and say he ought to move to the Shenandoah Valley.

The obvious thing about Curtis is that he'd take fantastic images wherever he and Sue end up . . .

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I appreciate all the suggestions for where Sue and I might land. I'll admit John, that after your note last evening I found myself perusing real estate listings in Puget Sound. If we went to the Olympic Peninsula we could likely pull it off. Seattle is certainly a gorgeous place but a move like that would be a much bigger deal than heading to Florida simply because Sue's family will offer their support. Sue's mom is getting on in years and there is something appealing to her about being close right now. Of course, she can do that occasionally with visits but since it appears a move will happen, it may as well be there. At the moment she is searching Marin high and low.

And Mihai, Sue and I have definitely talked about the possibility of spending a few years in Florida and then moving on. I don't think winter will ever be on the radar for us, so as much as Ben wants to send me to Transylvania with a wooden stake... I don't think it will happen...

This shot was taken in the San Geronimo Valley about five miles from where i live. It would be hard to leave, no doubt...

The high temperature today was 69 degrees, moderated by the fog you see above the distant hills. Seasons here are quite subtly defined. In winter those hills will be green but as summer approaches they lose their color. The few hot days we had a short while ago wiped out color in the hills but left it on the meadows.

For those curious... this was shot with an old favorite, the 35 f/1.4 AI-s. The 200 f/4 Q.C. remains on a shelf... yes, Jose you are the devil who made me do it...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Best of luck Mahai you are in our prayers!
Haven't been around much recently - hectic time. Here's a photo I took a while back and finally got a sec to edit. Shot with the D600 and 300mm 4.5 EDIF

CGrindahl

Nicely done Ray... great color on his back.

Here's another shot from the San Geronimo Valley, this one in the small town of Forest Knolls. The creek referred to in the name of this saloon is the same creek into which the brewers of Lagunitas beer flushed their residue and led to there being shut down. They eventually moved to Petaluma and great fame...

Another shot with the 35 f/1.4 AI-s that shows off the environs of west Marin.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

CGrindahl wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions for where Sue and I might land. I'll admit John, that after your note last evening I found myself perusing real estate listings in Puget Sound. If we went to the Olympic Peninsula we could likely pull it off.

Oh man - you could move to Vashon Island and be cool . . . or even Sequim since it's in the rain shadow of the Olympics it's much drier than most other places. Pt. Townsend would be a cool place as well. Near the ocean and near the mountains is what does it for me!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I appreciate all the suggestions for where Sue and I might land. I'll admit John, that after your note last evening I found myself perusing real estate listings in Puget Sound. If we went to the Olympic Peninsula we could likely pull it off.

Oh man - you could move to Vashon Island and be cool . . . or even Sequim since it's in the rain shadow of the Olympics it's much drier than most other places. Pt. Townsend would be a cool place as well. Near the ocean and near the mountains is what does it for me!

Curtis, have you looked at Placerville?

asiostygius

In the making of a 50/2 H. vs. 50/2 H.C test I had the opportunity to capture a huge pano of my favourite "infinity test chart".
Excuse the huge pano, but the original was 16000px long, this is "just" 5100px long.
After heavy winds the sky was reasonably clean of pollution.
This is a 6- horizontal shots pano taken with the looser of the test - the H not multicoated:

Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 F ai'd test: 6 horizontal shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 F ai'd , ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/2500s.
The HC version is even better, slightly contrastier and with better light transmission af f/2 to f/4 apertures.
My scalloped kit is virtually complete now

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

Great pano shot Jose

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

incredible, Ronny. You must be quite a patient guy (unlike me )

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Lieutenant Z wrote:
incredible, Ronny. You must be quite a patient guy (unlike me )

+1

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Jose, very clear and crisp looking.

asiostygius

Thanks Ronny and Leighton.

Ronny, you are the man!!! What jaw dropping bee in flight!!

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
[/url]

wow - you either have one of those fancy raspberry pi powered camera triggers, or those bees really like the flower you set up on! Great focus and colors, too.

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Nice set Ronny.
Peter - I have a raspberry pi and would love to explore this camera trigger option

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

I don't have one myself, but was looking into it. Here is a good starting point for motion detection

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/motion-detection

and this blog in more detail, but for Canon

http://musingsofadrian.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/raspberry-pi-controlled-canon-dslr.html

rd4tile
Total Posts: 2243

Guys:

I'm looking at getting a 28mm MF. I've kind of narrowed it down to the f2.8 CRC AI-s or the f2 AI-s. I will be using it mostly stopped down. Any major difference in IQ/character that would push you one way or the other between the 2? I notice the f2 seems to sell for a little more overall.

thanks

Rich

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

The f2.8 gives you closer focus distance. The f2.0 gets you an extra stop and a bit bigger. Can't go wrong with either one if you are stopped down so maybe getting a lighter one, the f2.8

CGrindahl

Congratulations Jose! Remarkable to realize that the search for pre-AI lenses began long after this thread came into being, prompted by Ben's arrival with his 55 f/1.2 S.C. that a technician in a local camera shop modified. Since then I've added 10 pre-AI lenses to my kit. You've followed a similar path with five lenses that have the classic knurled focusing ring. You also added three pre-AI K lenses that have a design similar to later MF lenses. Of course, you took the more daring path by doing conversions yourself. And from photos you took of the process, you clearly did a beautiful job with these conversions.

Nikon has created a remarkable array of very capable lenses we continue to celebrate on this thread. My guess is we'll do so for a very long time. Glad you're part of the journey Jose.

1       2       3              2714      
       2716              5891       5892       end