Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2714

1       2       3              2714      
       2716              4430       4431       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13613

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Went to the Jelly Belly factory on Monday. Was only able to take a few shots (and nothing inside) but this one was a standout.

Series E 50mm f/1.8
Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

That's what I'm talkin' about Kevin. Terrific shot!!!
Your portraits are spot on good!

What Ray said... Excellent work, though I am a bit intrigued by a jelly bean FACTORY... That would be a very dangerous place to work...

MarkdV
Total Posts: 773

Jose - lovely shots from Pompeii (again). An amazing collection and loving them. thanks for keeping on sharing.

Jim, lovely flower shots, the purple especially with the water droplets.

Peter, How long where your exposures for your stacked B&W? It's stunning.

Kevin, lovely shots of your niece and the Jelly Belly Bike.

Chin, great shot of the sky scrapers.

MarkdV

jbailey930 wrote:
Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks for the nice comments on my dog. She is actually 12 y/o and may have cataracts but she is still a pup to us.

I hope to post more as I have a decent collection of MF Nikkors - 20 3.5, 28 2.0, 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and 1.4, 55 3.5 and the great 105 2.5

With a collection like that you have no excuse not to be posting more! But be careful, showing everyone your lineup like this only invites some members to helpfully suggest where some gaps could be filled.

(cough - 85mm - cough)

BTW, I didn't have a chance to comment at the time, but a nice pic of your 'pup' and welcome.

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:
^^^^^^^
WOW!

Triple wow Peter! This is great work. Lightning is not something often seen in this area. I love these kinds of shots.

MarkdV

Some portraits of the locals at a recent farm visit with the 50mm.

CGrindahl

You made Leighton's day Mark... or maybe he's seen enough suckling pigs for one lifetime...

At least while in a barn, you're warm and relatively dry... harbingers of spring perhaps...

raboof
Total Posts: 1569

Nice shots Mark. I remember my days in Vietnam. I was constantly harassed by these little ones wanting something to eat. They followed me everywhere I went and were very noisy.

CGrindahl

Sadly, we have overcast skies and a forecast of showers for the next few days, so my trip to San Francisco is on hold at the moment. I may try Muir Woods one more time. I couldn't park within a mile and a half of the entrance when I passed by on Monday. What are all these folks doing in the Bay area during the week? I thought I had the place to myself, but NO...

Last night I took Nikki out for the evening. She didn't seem to mind shooting in the dark, at least when the windows were illuminated as they typically are downtown. I know those who've been around this thread for a long while know I have a predilection for taking photos of shop windows at night, something the D700 handles without breaking a sweat. So here are three shop windows shot with Nikki at f/2, manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. It worked like a charm. I've found that when I nail focus, which is quite easy with the D700, this lens is so sharp there is no need for me to add sharpening to my workflow. Simply crop for composition, resize and save as a JPG file.

I used noise reduction with the second image that had such a bright window that the rest of the image was deep in shadow. I was able to pull up a great deal of detail but at the expense of a bit of noise that LR handled quite well. One of these days I'll do some tutorials with the Nik tools. Should be fun...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3133

Oosty wrote:
Two stacked images (Combine ZM) converted to B&W

Amazing picture! Lightning photo is on my bucket list...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9766

CGrindahl wrote:
You made Leighton's day Mark... or maybe he's seen enough suckling pigs for one lifetime...

At least while in a barn, you're warm and relatively dry... harbingers of spring perhaps...

Mark, you certainly did! There's nothing like raising pigs, my favorites. We haven't had pigs for a long time, I miss them.

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

CGrindahl wrote:
Sadly, we have overcast skies and a forecast of showers for the next few days, so my trip to San Francisco is on hold at the moment. I may try Muir Woods one more time. I couldn't park within a mile and a half of the entrance when I passed by on Monday. What are all these folks doing in the Bay area during the week? I thought I had the place to myself, but NO...

Last night I took Nikki out for the evening. She didn't seem to mind shooting in the dark, at least when the windows were illuminated as they typically are downtown. I know those who've been around this thread for a long while know I have a predilection for taking photos of shop windows at night, something the D700 handles without breaking a sweat. So here are three shop windows shot with Nikki at f/2, manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. It worked like a charm. I've found that when I nail focus, which is quite easy with the D700, this lens is so sharp there is no need for me to add sharpening to my workflow. Simply crop for composition, resize and save as a JPG file.

h

I used noise reduction with the second image that had such a bright window that the rest of the image was deep in shadow. I was able to pull up a great deal of detail but at the expense of a bit of noise that LR handled quite well. One of these days I'll do some tutorials with the Nik tools. Should be fun...

very nice - haven't seen shop windows in a long time - the weather's obviously forcing you to get creative.

ben

CGrindahl

Thanks Ben. In fact, I was just posting a photo on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World and the thought crossed my mind that I haven't used an extension tube with Nikki yet. I don't think she would be offended...

Getting close is always a good antidote to lousy weather for a photographer... though I just saw a ray of sunlight through the clouds, so I believe it is time to hit the road.

Later folks...

MarkdV

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Mark, you certainly did! There's nothing like raising pigs, my favorites. We haven't had pigs for a long time, I miss them.

Glad to make your day Leighton. I agree with you, pigs are my favorite farmyard animal as well (I know, I should say sheep, but pigs have the edge I think).

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2703

MarkdV wrote:
jbailey930 wrote:
Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks for the nice comments on my dog. She is actually 12 y/o and may have cataracts but she is still a pup to us.

I hope to post more as I have a decent collection of MF Nikkors - 20 3.5, 28 2.0, 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and 1.4, 55 3.5 and the great 105 2.5

With a collection like that you have no excuse not to be posting more! But be careful, showing everyone your lineup like this only invites some members to helpfully suggest where some gaps could be filled.

(cough - 85mm - cough)

cough, cough, what about a 180/200mm and a 300mm for some reach when needed...
Some birding... at least a 400mm is higly recommended
cough, cough

asiostygius

Thanks Ray and Mark for the comments.

Chin, Kevin, Jim S, Peter, Curtis and Mark, loved the excellent shots from you.

Curtis, I don't specifically asked you to perform a formal test on the 24/2.8 ais vs. N.C 24/2.8 (though that will be great ), just your general feelings and impressions, including handling. I suppose scalloped focusing ring is a joy to use as I am experimenting with the 35/2 O and 105/2.5 P (Sonnar)

digitalthump
Total Posts: 202

Here are a couple images from a quick getaway with my wife in Estes Park. No kids!! Shot with a newly acquired 85 1.4. Thoroughly enjoying all of the spectacular images being posted! A couple new additions arrived via the postman today, a 50/1.2 (thanks Chuong!) and a 28/2. It's been confirmed, definitely have a case of NMFAS

asiostygius

Craig, great shots with the 85/1.4, loved the bokeh.
And welcome to the NMFAS club

MarkdV

digitalthump wrote:
Here are a couple images from a quick getaway with my wife in Estes Park. No kids!! Shot with a newly acquired 85 1.4. Thoroughly enjoying all of the spectacular images being posted! A couple new additions arrived via the postman today, a 50/1.2 (thanks Chuong!) and a 28/2. It's been confirmed, definitely have a case of NMFAS

Nice shots Craig. No kids getaway and a new 85/1.4 - enjoy you lucky man!

MarkdV

A last one from me before bed from last weekend's trip to the mountains. Oh to fly…

Shot with the 180mm. I may or may not have mentioned my love of this lens. If you don't have one, remedy that!

asiostygius

Nice and evocative.
Mark, is that a hawk?

1       2       3              2714      
       2716              4430       4431       end