Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2688

1       2       3              2688      
       2690              4323       4324       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2645

Until 90-89 BC Pompeii was a Samnite city allied to Rome, but rebelled against her mighty ally and, as a consequence, the city was besieged by general Sulla during the so called "Social War". Even today it can be seen deep holes made by the stone projectiles launched by Roman's military machine against the northern walls of Pompeii. Eventually Pompeii surrended to the Romans at 89 BC, and became a fully Roman town until the eruption in 79AD.

Some views of the wall and a tower remain between the "Herculaneum" and "Vesuvius" gates, particularly showing the stone projectiles marks at the walls, supposedly from the siege at 89 BC:

Tower remains near the Vesuvius Gate by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 250, f/5.6 at 1/250s. ~20% cropped.
Defensive tower remnants near Vesuvius Gate at Pompeii northern Wall.

_D7K_20130217_1140_01-WEB-near-Vesuvius-Gate by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 250, f/8 at 1/60s. ~10% cropped.
Holes of ballista (or other Roman artillery machine) projectiles near Vesuvius Gate at Pompeii northern Wall.

Roman projectile holes in the wall near Herculaneum Gate by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/5.6 at 1/400s.
Holes of Roman artillery projectiles near Herculaneum Gate at Pompeii northern Wall.

_D7K_20130217_1256-WEB by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/5.6 at 1/500s.
Closer view of the holes left at the wall by Roman artillery projectiles near Herculaneum Gate.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3006

CGrindahl wrote:
I just received a PM from Tony alerting me to the fact Nikki was shipped today and is on the way to me. Amazing to realize this adventure is drawing to a close. I was a little less than a year ago that Leighton and I had a conversation about trying something like this. And now I'll be the last person to entertain our fair lady before sending her home to Ben who so graciously gave us this opportunity to play. Thanks again Ben.

It is remarkable to realize what this adventure has wrought. Quite a few of the folks who shot with Nikki proceeded to buy a copy of the lens for themselves. And, of course, a few of us became enamored with these old pre-AI lenses with their scalloped focusing rings. I'm still looking at them, which is patently absurd because I already have WAY TOO MANY lenses. Four of them are sitting on the table in front of me, five or six are in my camera bag and the cabinet behind me has so many packed on the shelves there isn't room for me. Of course, I do have a couple of empty camera bags I could press into service...

So by this weekend I expect I'll have a new playmate. I'll put her through her paces as i introduce her to northern California. Who knows, she might like it so much she won't want to got to Australia...

Will be in San Francisco with the family and in-laws next Friday. If you happen to be near the city...let me know!

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1100

Wonderful shots the past few days!

Ronny, you're doing some really nice work with the 180mm.

Mike, gorgeous shots of the aurora!

Curtis, love the poppies and other flowers.

Paul, very nice pano of the band.

Ray, the D600 is really suiting you. Great garden and St. Patty shots.

Jose, your photos and stories of Pompeii would make a great article.

Sam, really nice comet images, especially the 3rd.

Alan, congrats! Great shots of the kids.

Tony, really fine set from Venice!

Chin, the dogs on the red chair is an excellent photo.

John, I really like the mountains from the beach. Great sky.

Kevin, very nice flowers and I like the look of the b&w car shot.

Laura, thanks for making me laugh when you chided Curtis for owning too many lenses!

Foggy14

Here are a couple with the 180mm 2.8. I should use this lens more.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7758

Jeff, , it was funny up till I counted my own. Tonight, I'm one lighter, but that hole will be filled within a week..

Foggy14 wrote:

Laura, thanks for making me laugh when you chided Curtis for owning too many lenses!

And yes, you definitely should!!

Foggy14 wrote:

mp356
Total Posts: 4358

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Tonight, I'm one lighter, but that hole will be filled within a week..

Can't imagine what you are refering too.

mp356
Total Posts: 4358

kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I just received a PM from Tony alerting me to the fact Nikki was shipped today and is on the way to me. Amazing to realize this adventure is drawing to a close. I was a little less than a year ago that Leighton and I had a conversation about trying something like this. And now I'll be the last person to entertain our fair lady before sending her home to Ben who so graciously gave us this opportunity to play. Thanks again Ben.

It is remarkable to realize what this adventure has wrought. Quite a few of the folks who shot with Nikki proceeded to buy a copy of the lens for themselves. And, of course, a few of us became enamored with these old pre-AI lenses with their scalloped focusing rings. I'm still looking at them, which is patently absurd because I already have WAY TOO MANY lenses. Four of them are sitting on the table in front of me, five or six are in my camera bag and the cabinet behind me has so many packed on the shelves there isn't room for me. Of course, I do have a couple of empty camera bags I could press into service...

So by this weekend I expect I'll have a new playmate. I'll put her through her paces as i introduce her to northern California. Who knows, she might like it so much she won't want to got to Australia...

Will be in San Francisco with the family and in-laws next Friday. If you happen to be near the city...let me know!

Careful Kevin, you might end up catching a case of NMFAS.

NightOwl Cat

From the master of NMFAS himself, no less

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

NightOwl Cat

snicker. it'll be fun!

mp356 wrote:NightOwl Cat wrote:
Tonight, I'm one lighter, but that hole will be filled within a week..

Can't imagine what you are refering too.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1488

kwoodard wrote:

A bonus shot from the Series E 50mm... Played around with this one. I like how it turned out, what do you all think?

DSC_7044 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Masterful!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3006

NightOwl Cat wrote:

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

I am immune simply because of economics. My spirit and desire are already dreadfully afflicted.

kings_freak
Total Posts: 930

kwoodard wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

I am immune simply because of economics. My spirit and desire are already dreadfully afflicted.

You and me both Kevin!

Tony

Oosty
Total Posts: 4043

Foggy14 wrote:

Really nice Jeff - looks like we lent you one of our road painters

Oosty

Jose - what a holiday you must have had. I feel as if I've revisited Pompeii - keep 'em coming.

Oosty

kings_freak wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

You and me both Kevin!

Tony

+1 although wnen I see the prices in the US I'd probably never have bought any. Here at least, though they're pretty hard to find prices are not often higher than a couple of hundred dollars.

Oosty

Zichar wrote:
When the wife reached for the box of treats...

This is so good.

Foggy14

Oosty wrote:Really nice Jeff - looks like we lent you one of our road painters

Thanks Peter. Yeah, I didn't notice it at the time, but that line painting is pretty shoddy.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9494

CGrindahl wrote:

Hard to believe it's almost over, what a ride!

leighton w

Oosty wrote:
Jose - what a holiday you must have had. I feel as if I've revisited Pompeii - keep 'em coming.

+1

leighton w

Foggy14 wrote:

Jeff, When I first saw this I thought you had the horizon off level. Then I saw the road at it's furthest point. Nice shot.

1       2       3              2688      
       2690              4323       4324       end