Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2659

1       2       3              2659      
       2661              5892       5893       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Thanks Georg. Always a delight to ramble through a nursery filled with flowers.

Love your photo with the underlying story of an arts organization "under the gun..." to use one phrase for describing their situation. I've no idea what it is like to be a photographer given assignments and then needing to consider how best to tell a story through images. Obviously, you're very skilled at producing well crafted images, but you also have a knack for finding a captivating point of view. You say you may at times try to hard to be creative, but that is much better than getting lazy about such things. I'm not certain what I'd be shooting if I expected of myself that I would always be looking for something fresh to shoot. Often, what could become boring is refreshed by a new lens with which to play. That was surely what the arrival of Nikki meant. The same happens with each lens added to my kit. It also helps to visit new environs since as wonderful as home is, finding a fresh perspective is always a challenge. Sunday I'll join a friend at a baseball game her nine year old son will be playing in. I'll try my hand and a bit of sports photography... something you know a bit about as well. I'll resist the temptation to bring an AF lens to see how well I can handle zone focusing... I learn by doing.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

As you could tell the 45/2.8P was a hit while on vacation. It's optical shortcomings, though not that significant, are more than made up by it's portability. Nothing like being able to throw your D800 over your torso and not have the lens constantly banging into your arm.

A few more . . .

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

Car show friday, cruising grand. 55 1.2 sc and 85 2 ais

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 Minnequa water bag by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 no rust by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 like rust by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 at 1.2 D4 red trike by Rafael CA, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

CGrindahl wrote:
saph wrote:
Curtis, I was about to ask if the 105 2.5 PC version had a significant advantage over the P version, and looking at your second flower shot, I think its not going to be much better!

Samy

I bought the 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd because it offers a different physical design than either the P or the later K, AI and AI-s versions of the lens. It appears from photosynthesis that the first Gauss deign came in the last version of the P which has the widened metal focusing ring found in the P.C. I honestly have no complaint about any of the 105mm lenses I own. I guess part of my reaction to the P comes from the fact Bjorn rates it a bit less highly that the Gauss versions. I was surprised from the beginning how well the P performs. And it is my favorite lens to look at as well as a delight to use.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Did I miss the news on how this lens got AI'D? Last I heard you were going to swap the aperture ring from your previous version. Did you end up doing this yourself? inquiring minds want to know.

You missed my post Ray telling the story of having both sets of lenses I'd set up for conversion done by my local camera technician. I dropped the four lenses off at noon and picked them up at five. The fact I'd procrastinated on the 50 S and 50 S.C. was a clear indication of my reluctance to tackle the job. In the end I decided I'd rather tackle installing a new battery in a 3Gs iPhone I was given than in wrestling with removing the back of four lenses. The technician said one of the screws was very difficult to remove. I'm glad he took it out rather than me. He's done conversions over the years and knew how much pressure he could apply without snapping a screw off. He did a fine job.

Curtis, good call, I ruined two good lenses trying to remove stubborn back screws.

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 442

A beautiful blue still life, John, very cool indeed.

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2444

rafaelcasd wrote:
Car show friday, cruising grand. 55 1.2 sc and 85 2 ais

nikon nikkor 85mm 2 ais at 2.0 D800 Minnequa water bag by Rafael CA, on Flickr

All are nice but this is very cool Rafael!

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1472

Mihai, Georg, Jose, Ray and Samy, thanks for the comments!

Thanks Curtis! You were spot on when you recommended the 180mm 2.8 with the PK-13 tube. It's really a fun combination. Beautiful flowers with the 105mm.

Thanks Mark for your comment and for showing that temporary pirates can take good pictures. Your bubbles arrrrrr great!

Scott, belated congrats on your WA win. Well done!

Kevin, beautiful flower shots. I love the first one taken with the 135mm.

Ray, I really like the brick alley shot.

Samy, gorgeous blossom!

Georg, love the cannon image taken with the PC lens.

John, the blue glass still life is beautiful and "Low Tide" is a very cool shot.

Rafael, wonderful car and bike shots. Great vette!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4684

My first focus stack! 7 images. Series E 28/2.8 @ f/5.6 in front of a PK13 (27.5mm) extension tube which yields a magnification of 2.6:1. This is a vertical crop of a horizontal image, about 30%

Daddy long legs...

Daddy Long Legs by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

jhinkey

The girls have been wanting to go out to breakfast at a local place that opened up about 6 months ago - mainly because they specialize in crepes, some of the savory variety and some of the sweet variety. You can guess which type they wanted . . .

Slung the D800 + 45/2.8P around my shoulder and we walked the 5 blocks. My crepe was of the savory variety (due to my severe sugar incompatibilities) and hence was much less photographic than my latte or their berry + whip creme-filled breakfasts. Their eyes were much larger than their stomachs so next time they will have to split one.

John

jhinkey

kwoodard wrote:
My first focus stack! 7 images. Series E 28/2.8 @ f/5.6 in front of a PK13 (27.5mm) extension tube which yields a magnification of 2.6:1. This is a vertical crop of a horizontal image, about 30%

Daddy long legs...

Daddy Long Legs by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Great image Kevin! So that's what those critters look like up close . . .

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

kwoodard wrote:

Daddy long legs...

A face only a mother could love. Amazing work Kevin.

jhinkey

MarkdV wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Daddy long legs...

+1

And it appears they only have two eyes - don't most spiders have many eyes?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Here are a few shots from the John Ringling Mansion in Sarasota, Florida The opulence of this home is something you really need to see to believe. It is very ornate and the attention to detail is amazing. This home was built on the premiss that there is a sucker born every minute. The first shot is using the 16mm 3.5 and the next two are the 35mm1.4.

MarkdV

jhinkey wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Daddy long legs...

+1

I don't think that Daddy Longlegs are spiders. I have the feeling they are a different order that has 8 legs but only 1 pair of eyes and cannot produce silk.

MarkdV

One from this morning, 180mm+TC201 just under 10 meters and about 50% crop of the image. Yes, late April and yet more snow. Helps with the birds though since they come where the food is.

kwoodard

MarkdV wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Daddy long legs...

+1

I don't think that Daddy Longlegs are spiders. I have the feeling they are a different order that has 8 legs but only 1 pair of eyes and cannot produce silk.

You are correct, they are not spiders...just insects that look like a spider.

kwoodard

So following Curtis' urging, I took the 80-200/4.5 out with the PK13. Very fun combo, brings the lens more into what I would use it for! Not selling it now...

This was previously posted, now edited a tad.

_DSC7848 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

A pretty weed...

_DSC7864 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

These were popular with bees, just this flower wasn't up to snuff for them.

_DSC7878 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Similar to a previous posting, but a different exposure. Like this one a lot better.

_DSC7880 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

kwoodard

continued...

_DSC7901 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I think this is a favorite of mine.

_DSC7896 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Oh, hi! (no tube on this one)

_DSC7892 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

MDoc9523

Nice shots Kevin looks like you have been a busy boy
Great shot Mark good detail in the feathers - Nicely captured and the snow sets it off!

MDoc9523

Rafael what a terrific set of photos especially this one

John I love the light on this shot

1       2       3              2659      
       2661              5892       5893       end