Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2651

1       2       3              2651      
       2653              4425       4426       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3046

Thanks everyone for comments on my previous pics and kind words much appreciated

Jose : keep coming the shots from Pompéi
Chin : very interesting images
Tony : beautiful series with Nikki

Lieutenant Z

B&W -)

Oosty
Total Posts: 4051

Hi all - somehow I've got out of sequence on my posts so I'm just going to say "thanks" to those who commented on my latest efforts - appreciated.

Ray - enjoy the D600 and please give us a couple of like for like crops.

Jose - you keep saving the best for last!

Sam - wow!!

Jeff - that's rust!

Lrighton - A farmers' version of an abstract! - that's bull!

Tony - I can't believe that we have seen so little theme or style duplication with Nikki. Just terrific.

Curtis - very nice withy the 85

Chuong - two beauts

Phillippe - very subtle. I hope you got her phone number - tres jolie!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9763

CGrindahl wrote:
Enjoying the BW shots Chin... street photography at its best. That is especially noteworthy when the photos depict another culture. This is what your world is Chin. As with the photos you produced with Nikki, this is a great delight to see. This is an interesting juxtaposition... a produce market inside a recent building with fluorescent lights. Not exactly how we experience what are called "farmer's markets" here. Right Leighton?

Well done.

That's right Curtis. But the one thing I've noticed with farmers' markets in this country is that they're so worried about germs. There's NO way you could have fresh meat hanging at your stall, or fresh fish sitting on your table. To bad in a way.

leighton w

raboof wrote:
That is really sharp with the H Ai'd, Curtis.
I got nothing. Didn't manage to get out while the snow was here.

All melted - 20mm 3.5

Oh...I wouldn't say nothing... Nice. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the D600.

EDIT: Sorry Chuong, I must of been thinking about Ray when I commented on your image. Brain fart!

leighton w

Thanks all for the comments!

Philippe - I love it, but that's nothing new when it comes to your photos.

Peter -

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6216

raboof wrote:
That is really sharp with the H Ai'd, Curtis.
I got nothing. Didn't manage to get out while the snow was here.

All melted - 20mm 3.5

Nice.

Tell me about the 20/3.5 - how do you like it? Is it sharp enough for a wide angle? This is one of those lenses I've been thinking of trying out due to the flare/ghost resistance and great sun stars it's supposedly capable of.

- John

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

CGrindahl wrote:
Philippe, you could always add a 105 f/2.5 to your kit to cover that focal length at a considerably reduced price. It is always a pleasure to see your work on this thread and every new MF Nikkor added to your kit increases the likelihood you'll join us.

I don't believe you were here when a former member of FM, Todd Adamson, was sharing a comparison he did between the Zeiss 100 and the Nikon 105 f/2.5. The Nikkor didn't do too badly. It was a bit like the 1973 Stag's Leap cabernet sauvignon that turned a few heads in Paris so many years ago...

He did a first comparison and then after receiving comments did a bit more elaborate comparison adding the Nikon 70-200 to the second part. Just for fun...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/940602/0?keyword=useless,exercise#8885589

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/940944

oh Curtis, Curtis - you love linking this but you've gotta stop it.....I love the nikon 105 - I've even got 4 different versions of it (one of which you forced me to buy) - but it's not the zeiss 100MP.

I'm not going get into whether one is better than the other - but they are VERY different. That's what I find so puzzling about his tests. Try as I might - I would find it very difficult to get the 100MP to look like the 105 - again not better or worse - but they render very differently, colour is the most obvious difference. Yet somehow he makes them all look the same. How does he do that? Hell, I reckon the different versions of the 105 render differently much less the zeiss.

But the main reason why I'm surprised you keep citing these tests is - they sort of defeat the purpose of this thread. He's making the 105 look just like the 70 - 200mm V1 - and I would have thought that, if there was any raison d'etre for this thread, it's that the manual focus nikons have a quality all their own, in particular the 105 - yet according to him it's indistinguishable from a modern (superseded) zoom.

I don't know what he's doing - but there ain't no way my 100MP looks just like my 105 - and if it really looked just like the 70 - 200 mm - well then, I could get rid of most of my lenses across that range and just shoot the zoom. We could all join a 70- 200mm thread and be done with it.

ben

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

Phillippe - the museum shots are wonderful - great fun playing around with frames within frames. I've hardly used the 85P since you forced me to buy it - can't get used it - but it's early days. Sorry to hear you sold the 100MP (saving up for the new 55mm?)

Leighton - love those snowscapes. beautiful - almost abstract compositions

ben

raboof
Total Posts: 1561

Thanks Leighton and John.

Leighton - I am sticking with the D700 for now

John - I went with this one because I thought it does a better job with the flare than the f4. This shot was directly into the sun at noon with no filter. I cannot tell the sharpness difference between the f4 and this one. It's a keeper for me.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 861

The 28-400 Zooms. And I still wouldn't trade any of them for the one I took the picture with the 28 2.8. Always will be my favorite lens.

Lieutenant Z

Ben, Sorry to hear you don't like the 85P. Personally, it is the only lens I really love : it suits my style much better than the 100MP. The 100 MP is perhaps a technically perfect lens but I prefer the very special rendering of the 85P (have a look on Ronny's 85 P shots in his Flickr page).

I'm trying to sell my 2/35 too. I'm not interested - a priori - on the new Zeiss 55, not in my league, but maybe the little and quite nice 1.4/50 P or the fantastic 2.8/21...

pburke
Total Posts: 2151

jhinkey wrote:
Tell me about the 20/3.5 - how do you like it? Is it sharp enough for a wide angle? This is one of those lenses I've been thinking of trying out due to the flare/ghost resistance and great sun stars it's supposedly capable of.

It's great for its size/weight, but sharpness near infinity could be better, even at f8. But whenever I put together camera gear for a hiking or a ski tour, I like it for its size and the ability to use filters. I haven't really done any sun star test with it, but now that you mention it, I'll have to give it a go.

The 20mm f3.5 output is "good enough" for my needs, and I am just tickled tht I can shoot this wide after my DX body days. Wide angles that beat it in sharpness, field of view, and wide open performance (night sky) are usually much heavier and can't take filters (Rokinon 14mm, Nikon 14-24mm). And it is cheap - I found mine for $100, so, hey, I can't even rent a 14-24mm for my next trip under $250...

Secretly, I am really looking for an old Tokina 17mm f3.5, as that would be my ideal hiking ultra-wide lens.

raboof

pburke wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

It's great for its size/weight, but sharpness near infinity could be better, even at f8. But whenever I put together camera gear for a hiking or a ski tour, I like it for its size and the ability to use filters. I haven't really done any sun star test with it, but now that you mention it, I'll have to give it a go.

The 20mm f3.5 output is "good enough" for my needs, and I am just tickled tht I can shoot this wide after my DX body days. Wide angles that beat it in sharpness, field of view, and wide open performance (night sky) are usually much heavier and can't take filters (Rokinon 14mm, Nikon 14-24mm). And it is cheap - I found mine for $100, so, hey, I can't even rent a 14-24mm for my next trip under $250...

Secretly, I am really looking for an old Tokina 17mm f3.5, as that would be my ideal hiking ultra-wide lens.

I had the Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC II. I didn't like the corner sharpness on FX but It might be my copy.

leighton w

raboof wrote:
Thanks Leighton and John.

Leighton - I am sticking with the D700 for now

John - I went with this one because I thought it does a better job with the flare than the f4. This shot was directly into the sun at noon with no filter. I cannot tell the sharpness difference between the f4 and this one. It's a keeper for me.

I'm glad you were able to keep your D700.

leighton w

rankamateur wrote:
The 28-400 Zooms. And I still wouldn't trade any of them for the one I took the picture with the 28 2.8. Always will be my favorite lens.

Gosh Ron, that 200-400 is a monster!

leighton w

Hey Ray, great minds think alike!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Phillippe what a great shot!
Ron what a nice collection of zooms - beautiful!
Leighton love the winding road!

raboof

leighton w wrote:
Hey Ray, great minds think alike!

OK, Leighton. I also took a cemetery picture yesterday. Not as good as yours so I didn't post. But here it is since we seem to targeting the same subjects

16mm

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6216

pburke wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

Thanks!

I owned the 17/3.5 Tokina (AF model) when I had my D700 and I found it to be OK - the far corners never got sharp even stopped down and it had a slightly different color cast than my 20/2.8D Nikon. Though a good lens I decided to sell it and keep the smaller/lighter/slightly better IQ Nikon.

1       2       3              2651      
       2653              4425       4426       end