Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2244

1       2       3              2244      
       2246              5889       5890       end

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

georgms wrote:
Ray, I like them too - esp. the fruits and the last shot (great framing - love the reflection and the "curve" of the trench).

Mark, great set! The Italian lady is beautifully captured and the "snaps" of your son really show the fun he had in the tub

Thanks Georg,

I have to say this is what I love about these lenses and this thread. This sort of style of photo I wouldn't have really tried before (I really was only sports and birds (the feathered type) before), but the wide range of characteristics of these lenses encourages it and the work on this thread inspires it.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Mark what a great capture of the boy in the bath!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

Chris, Does that mean you're going to be a daddy in a few months?

Chris Dees wrote:
Congratulations Paul, that's one heck of a subject for the Noct!
I have to wait a few months.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

rafaelcasd wrote:

We had a rainy day and it cleared by sunset, nothing fancy - just the 16mm 3.5

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 8 D800 Rainy day by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 8 D800 Rainy day is over by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael, these are very nice.
Scott

mp356

rafaelcasd wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Ray and Reagan for the comments.

I don't recall if one or more of these were already posted here, but anyway another set of old slides duped with the 55mm/2.8 micro:

Juvenile South American coati:
Old slide (Fujichrome Provia RDPIII ISO 100) from July 2002.
F90x + Nikkor 200mm f/4 micro, < 5m fill flash (SB-28).
Dupe: D3 + PN-11 ext. tube + 55mm f/2.8 micro @f/8 +ES-1 slide copying adapter, flash bounced on a white wall behind slide. ISO 200. Around 15% crop from original slide.

Blue fruits :

Blue fruits with a Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 micro (slide dupe) by labecoaves, on Flickr

The original image is an old one (March 1998) from a grassland savannah preserve. FM2 + 55mm f/2.8 micro. Kodak Ektachrome EBII ISO 100.
Dupe: D3 + PN-11 tube + 55mm f/2.8 micro + ES-1 Slide copying adapter, flash bounce on the wall, ISO 200.

Great Dupes Jose. I have tried to dupe with the D3, PB6 and 60mm 2.8 AF with limited success on getting the full slide frame. Will try again today wi th the D800, PB6 and 55mm 3.5. I also want to dupe negs with the camera, as the Nikon LS scanner is so slow.
Rafael

+1 Jose. Great dupes and image. Nice colors.

Question: Can slide dupes be done with the 105 2.8 AIS? If so, on a DX sensor would you need any tubes?
Thanks
Scott

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are the first film scans from my new Nikon FA.

Nikkor 35mm 1.4

Nikkor 16mm 3.5

Ray, these are great! The first of the berries has a very nice background. The second has wonderful clarity.
Scott

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

I like the last one a lot Ray; I imagine a square crop for a symmetrical view of the house and reflection may work

MDoc9523

Thank you Scott and Chin. I discovered that film photography is more difficult than I first imagined.

MDoc9523

mp356 wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Ray and Reagan for the comments.

I don't recall if one or more of these were already posted here, but anyway another set of old slides duped with the 55mm/2.8 micro:

Juvenile South American coati:
Old slide (Fujichrome Provia RDPIII ISO 100) from July 2002.
F90x + Nikkor 200mm f/4 micro, < 5m fill flash (SB-28).
Dupe: D3 + PN-11 ext. tube + 55mm f/2.8 micro @f/8 +ES-1 slide copying adapter, flash bounced on a white wall behind slide. ISO 200. Around 15% crop from original slide.

Blue fruits :

The original image is an old one (March 1998) from a grassland savannah preserve. FM2 + 55mm f/2.8 micro. Kodak Ektachrome EBII ISO 100.
Dupe: D3 + PN-11 tube + 55mm f/2.8 micro + ES-1 Slide copying adapter, flash bounce on the wall, ISO 200.

Great Dupes Jose. I have tried to dupe with the D3, PB6 and 60mm 2.8 AF with limited success on getting the full slide frame. Will try again today wi th the D800, PB6 and 55mm 3.5. I also want to dupe negs with the camera, as the Nikon LS scanner is so slow.
Rafael

+1 Jose. Great dupes and image. Nice colors.

Question: Can slide dupes be done with the 105 2.8 AIS? If so, on a DX sensor would you need any tubes?
Thanks
Scott

I agree this is a wonderful shot. I can only aspire to this!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4210

georgms wrote:
Jose, beautiful images and absolutely great dupes! Excellent mini-series from the Cock-tailes Tyrant!

Rafael, I like especially the first shot of your driveway!

Chuong, congrats to your fantastic D2h-deal! I prefer my old 55/1.2 over the 50/1.2 too.

Leighton, thanks for sharing your view on your beautiful part of the world!

Philippe, it's always a pleasure to look at your street-scenes.

Reagan, I like especially the 1st and last surfer-shot from your first set. Very well done!

Chin - okay, got it. Btw, I vaguely remember from school that „Chai” ("чай") is tea in Russia.

Kevin, beautiful set - like fellow contributors here I I like the last two shots best.

Jeff, your sculptures-series is very, very nicely done! Personal fav is the last shot - great!

Paul - wow, focus-stacking on a portrait of a newborn ;-) I learn something new everyday here.
I really like the result and it's for sure well worth the effort! The colors are very nice and the diagonal framing as well.

Georg, thank you for saying this on my behalf too + + +

Oosty

Ray - I think you're overly critical of your 1st efforts but we know you as a perfectionist (not a bad thing in a doctor! )

I loved film but found it very demanding.

Correct exposure is critical in each of the areas that affect the final result - making the image and exposing the negative during printing. The first you can control but as far as the second is concerned you're in the hands of the lab which processes the film and a bunch of new factors come into play - time in process, the condition of chemicals, the "automatic" evaluation of an optimum result and finally the printing of the results to a file to be saved to CD.

I think the reason so many professional and serious amateurs used colour slide film was that professional labs seemed to process it better but I'm not really sure about that.

Digital cameras seem to be much more forgiving in addition to which we have the luxury of immediate feedback and pp manipulation.

I doubt very much that I would take more than 1 roll of film a year if digital hadn't reignited what used to be a passion when I was 40 years younger!

Oosty

Scott - in response to Jose's great slide images I googled DIY slide copiers and found a whole bunch of ideas which can be put together for very little. I'm sure tubes would be necessary on the 105 due to the realtively long MFD.

Oosty

Chris Dees wrote:
Paul Gabel wrote:
This is Flynn, my second grandson, born two days ago.

Congratulations Paul, that's one heck of a subject for the Noct!
I have to wait a few months.

For the noct or a grandson?

Oosty

MarkdV wrote:
Well, a quick one from a work event for you all to be envious of a beautiful Italian lady I work with, married to a charming Italian Gent who's one lucky guy. Taken with the 50mm f1.2

Then there is a lens that gets far too little love from me, the 75-150mm Series E lens. I stuck it on today and really glad I did, here's bath time looking great, the lens did the subject and mood justice. I hope you guys & ladies like the result.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Mark, I'm envious of the Italian lady's husband!

Very nice series.

MarkdV

MDoc9523 wrote:
Mark what a great capture of the boy in the bath!

Thanks Ray.

Because it was a slow day on the forum I have had the luxery of being able to go back and again enjoy your film shots, as you know it's normally so hectic just trying to keep up.

The first time around I was caught by your shot of the green fruits (and I still like it) but when I went back I really was drawn into your shot of the house and the reflection, so much that I had to dig out some of my old magazines to some pictures I had seen before. I don't know if you are familiar with a photographer called Paul Graham but he did a trilogy on America with 3 very different styles. Your shot really reminded me of his second book, 'A shimmer of posibility' (which was my favourite of the 3). It's a really good use of the 16mm and I'm glad I got a chance to get back to it.

Mark.

MarkdV

Oosty wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Well, a quick one from a work event for you all to be envious of a beautiful Italian lady I work with, married to a charming Italian Gent who's one lucky guy. Taken with the 50mm f1.2

Then there is a lens that gets far too little love from me, the 75-150mm Series E lens. I stuck it on today and really glad I did, here's bath time looking great, the lens did the subject and mood justice. I hope you guys & ladies like the result.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Mark, I'm envious of the Italian lady's husband!

Very nice series.

Thank you very much Peter.

charles sharpe
Total Posts: 123

Hello.

Would any of you have some shots taken with a Nikon 600mm 5.6 lens hand held. I bought it in the summer and I don't it is as it should be. The images just not sharp, I have tried it on my D3 and on the D3s and the is no difference between the two.

Charles.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Thank you Leighton, Rafael, Mark, John, georg, Scott, Peter and Ray for the very kind words.

Rafael, please, let us know how the D800 pixel density delivers slide dupes;

Ray, gorgeous first shots with the FA; I liked the grain on the first one, but the 16/3.5 images are beautiful too.

asiostygius

Scott, as Peter pointed out, you will need a 52.5 (PN-11) tube on the 105/2.8 micro ais to reach a 1:1 (FX) and a ~ 20mm tube to reach the same with a DX body.

This link gives a setup for a 105/2.8 micro (the AF lens, but same focal):
http://www.lagunabeachbikini.com/index.php/2012/03/04/how-to-digitize-35mm-slides-using-your-dslr/

I have used a similar setup dispayed on this link:
http://www.throughthefmount.com/articles_tips_digitise.html

asiostygius

charles sharpe wrote:
Hello.

Would any of you have some shots taken with a Nikon 600mm 5.6 lens hand held. I bought it in the summer and I don't it is as it should be. The images just not sharp, I have tried it on my D3 and on the D3s and the is no difference between the two.

Charles.

Hi Charles.

I bought this lens more than 3 years ago and never used it hand held. I think you have to use it at least with a monopod or a beanbag as support. Though hand held shots are not impossible, you will need at least 1/800s (I would say 1/1000s) shutter speed to get decent images.

Another very important thing to check is the focusing of your body and lens comibination:

My 600/5.6 is perfectly focused on the (O) focus confirmation dot in the D3, but on the other hand, in my D7000 I have found that I need a (>O) blinking for perfect focused images (!)
So, this is a kind of focus tunning for each lens + body combo.

The 600/5.6 telephot by itself is very sharp, but needs at least a beanbag:

Burrowing Owl with a 600mm f/5.6 ais by labecoaves, on Flickr
Burrowing Owl
Nikkor AI-S 600mm f/5.6 EDIF, support was a beanbag on the car window sill
D300 1/100s f/8 ISO 200 at ~8m

But I often use a tripod:

Thraupis sayaca with a Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 AIS EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr
Sayaca Tanager
D7000 + 600mm ais f/5.6 MF EDIF + tripod.
Tanager at 5m, the MFD of the lens, no crop needed!
Even using f/11 the DOF is very limited.

_D3C1514 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Palm Tanager
Nikkor AI-S 600mm f/5.6 ED-IF at minimum focus distance (5m), tripod + flash
D3 1/250 f/11 ISO 500

A vigilant Cock-tailed Tyrant female above her nest by labecoaves, on Flickr

A vigilant Cock-tailed Tyrant female above her nest
D300 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 AIS EDIF+ tripod, ISO 250, f/8 at 1/200s, ~40% crop.

1       2       3              2244      
       2246              5889       5890       end