kwoodard
Total Posts: 2981

Girls are out of school for the holiday, decided to do some chemistry

Series E 50mm f/1.8

The Mad Scientist!

Mad Scientist by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

What's cooking?!

Screeech! by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Muahahaha! With my brew I will take over the world!

Muahahahaha by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

The brew! It's ready... (no post on this, this is the color of the brew)

Glowing brew by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Side shot. The bright green reflection is from the glowing soap dispenser my daughters have in their bathroom.

Spooky by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

The experiment creates glowing crystals... Will probably take a few weeks to finish. Will post pics of those when done.

Emma and I hope you enjoy!

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1094

leighton w wrote:Hi Jeff, nice to see you. GOOD GRIEF!!! Looks like you had a LOT of catching up.

You're right Leighton, and I got five pages behind while I was typing that!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

What fun Kevin. Those are precious times, so glad you recording them

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13177

Georg gives us another master class in composition and conversion with the 55. Great set. Certainly inspiring, demonstrating how important framing of a photo is, whether gained in camera or post.

Great portrait Ian and yes, it is nice to know that you're capable of taking color photos as well...

Congratulations on your new lens Ray. I KNOW you'll do great things with it. Interesting that Philippe added a 50 f/1.8, which is a big step for someone wedded to the 28 and 180; and Monty who seems transfixed by the 85 f/1.4 has now added the 55 f/1.2 AI: and you've added the 85. I love the work each of you does, so it is a delight to see what you'll do with your new lenses. Philippe has brought his great skill to bear on the 50 and is producing some great work. Now its your turn. Have fun Ray!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13177

I processed some photos I took recently for my friend who has a shop in Mill Valley featuring wares from India that she imported. I shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I really love how this sweet old lens performs.

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 2128

Kevin that looks scary. Are they glowing completely on their own? What makes them do that?

I only had 1 year of chemistry I'm afraid.

montym
Total Posts: 4711

New lens, new t shirt

kwoodard

Ian Boys wrote:
Kevin that looks scary. Are they glowing completely on their own? What makes them do that?

I only had 1 year of chemistry I'm afraid.

Its the phosphorescent alum that does it. It is mixed in with water and regular alum. Eventually it will start to grow crystals and it will trap the glowing stuff. I had it under a daylight bulb for a while to get it all nice and "glowy" before I turned off the lights and took the pic. Did them at ISO200 and f/11, 13 second exposure.

James Markus
Total Posts: 4444

Ray, I'm just trying to be practical. I have big eyes for gear, but can not afford my own desires. :-)

pbraymond wrote:

James, great logic on the lens choices. I tell myself I can analyze like that, but in reality I do love "limiting" myself to MF prime lenses occasionally, thus owning the 180 and 200. We won't discuss the 20MF/24AF/28MF, 50AF/55MF, 85AF/100MF combinations I also own but at one time or another I had some kind of logic in the acquisistions. Does not hurt that the MF lenses are relatively affordable, and that the've been acquired over a spanof 15 years or so.

Ray

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Curtis. I don't have any budget for gear since losing my newspaper job due to the economic crisis, and the culture shift concerning print media. I could write an incredibly boring post on how I sold and acquired gear over the last year with no out of pocket costs. I'm happy with how it is working out, but I need to justify all my equipment's existence by using it.

CGrindahl wrote:
I appreciate James, that as a pro, you need to make your decisions exactly as you explain them to us. Were I in your situation I'd certainly be doing exactly the same. In that world, as pros say, you look for the best tool for the job, regardless the label on the outside of the camera or lens. I'm more a fan, though I believe I have some capacity for judging the capability of the gear I use. Since I shoot for pleasure, of course, I can tolerate some of the aberrations found in some of these lenses.

I'm glad you've shared your work with us and have included this thread in your consideration of how to build and maintain your kit. It is a bit like a wine tasting that met every week in Berkeley in the basement of an Episcopal church. I was simply a lover of fine wines, but others in our group of perhaps forty tasters, worked for wine shops around the Bay and were tasting wine to determine what they would buy for their shop. A couple of fellows were very serious amateurs who were considering wines to add to their personal seller. This was in the 1970's and one fellow had a personal budget of $10,000 each year. I got to taste the wine and enjoyed the experience. But I was neither a pro nor a high budget connoisseur.

Good luck finding your next ideal lens...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Georg, strong compostion on all of these!

georgms wrote:
I've spend a little extra-time at the local city-harbor. Here are some shots taken with the 55/1.2 Ai, all wide open and on the D700.

Heimat XXXVIII von georgsfoto auf Flickr

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I don't like to shoot ships laying dockside, never know how to deal with the quay...

Heimat XXXVI von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a young seagull was wondering about my choice of framing

Heimat XXXVII von georgsfoto auf Flickr
unusual shape: bow of an icebreaker - I like this shot, I'm just not sure about it's processing

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a beauty, Peter.
Oosty wrote:

Hi Jim

This was taken with the 80-200 f4 Ais on my D70 back in 2009 - at that stage verything I shot was jpeg (ignorance!!)

Peter

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Jeff!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I like this composition,Philippe.

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Thank you leighton.

The quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Excellent, Ian. The eyes are incredible.

Ian Boys wrote:
A rare colour one from me - 50mm f1.2 @f2:

Early Morning Light by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Ian Boys

50mm f1.2 ai-s @f2

Same light as the chap in the previous shot but obviously processed a little differently!

A. by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

CGrindahl wrote:
I processed some photos I took recently for my friend who has a shop in Mill Valley featuring wares from India that she imported. I shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I really love how this sweet old lens performs.

What a wonderful shot. A Very rich flavor to this one and razor sharp!!

James Markus
Total Posts: 4444

Monty, I know I am late to this one, but the photo really tells the story very well.

montym wrote:
My Aunt Bun, 94 years old. Advanced Alzheimer's. SHe hasn't communicated in years. SHe is staying at a first rate care center. Hardly living though...

clouseau
Total Posts: 42

Ian Boys wrote:
50mm f1.2 ai-s @f2

Same light as the chap in the previous shot but obviously processed a little differently!

A. by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

I really like your work , when i saw the first one i was completly blown away , and the hits just keep coming !
Thank you !

Mvh Claus

Ian Boys

Thank you Claus!

Jammyn
Total Posts: 183

The following image was captured with a Nikon D700 and 200 f4 lens. It was my first full day with the lens, and in less than 24 hours managed to shot one of my all time favorite images. I will count the minutes until the 105 f2.5 is in my hands

pink flowers by Macrudite, on Flickr

I have followed this thread for about a week, and it is awesome to finally be able to participate, and thanks for the warm welcome!

saph
Total Posts: 2346

Welcome Jammy! Good to see another recent convert. I started with DSLR photography about 6 years ago. I have been shooting almost exclusively with manual lenses the last few months, they are too much fun and unfortunately there's too many of them still floating around for acquisition

The 200 f4 is a very portable package for such a long focal length. The 105 is a stellar lens, there's too many great pics with that lens from a bunch of the thread participants.

Thanks,
Samy

Jammyn wrote:
The following image was captured with a Nikon D700 and 200 f4 lens. It was my first full day with the lens, and in less than 24 hours managed to shot one of my all time favorite images. I will count the minutes until the 105 f2.5 is in my hands

I have followed this thread for about a week, and it is awesome to finally be able to participate, and thanks for the warm welcome!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6038

Ian Boys wrote:

Another great one from Ian.

For those of you who have not visited Ian's Flickr page - you really ought to.

I did and had to stop after 50 pages because I realized I'd be up all night. Just a lot of excellent shots in there.
Not only the subject matter, framing, etc, but the post processing is really really good.

Very very instructional, inspirational, conversational, and interesting stuff.

John

kwoodard

jhinkey wrote:
Ian Boys wrote:

Another great one from Ian.

For those of you who have not visited Ian's Flickr page - you really ought to.

I did and had to stop after 50 pages because I realized I'd be up all night. Just a lot of excellent shots in there.
Not only the subject matter, framing, etc, but the post processing is really really good.

Very very instructional, inspirational, conversational, and interesting stuff.

John

+1... I actually made it through the entire portfolio online. Impressive. I wish I could sit behind him for a day as he does his post work...the images are all spot on and appear effortless.

georgms
Total Posts: 3457

Peter, awesome portrait of the crowned crane! The backlight works great. One of these birds actually pecked a small spot in my old Sigma 14/2.8 - about 12 years back I was shooting curious cranes at the local zoo and was getting very close to the fence. Too close, a "plock" and that lens had a scar. After looking at your wonderful picture I took the battered lens out of the cabinet and tried to take a picture of the "scar":

scarface Sigma von georgsfoto auf Flickr
the spot about 2/3 high on the left side was caused by a crowned crane - D700, 55/1.2 on tubes

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

Georg, great lines on the unusual bow.

Jeff, your patience and focus (no pun intended) on commenting is great, thanks for the comment.

Ian, the rare color shot is incredible, what eyes!

and finally welcome Jammy.

Ray

1       2       3              2244      
       2246              4307       4308       end