Leica M/X/T Picture Thread
/forum/topic/920070/672

1       2       3              672      
       674              1049       1050       end

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2808

rscheffler wrote:

Anyway, kind of boring stuff - guys in suits - but at the same time was a fun event with interesting people (not uncommon in a university environment). It pays the bills and is an excuse to use the M9 some more.

Not at all, Ron, that is awesome post. the results are very professional. I enjoy the photos very much. Lighting setup is field I know nothing, I am sure I will revisit your thread to pay more attention to your description again.

I am surprised to hear that about less than 11 bit dynamic range with Sony sensor. I get the impression from DXO rating that DR is more than that. I have good understanding about fundamental of this SNR, DR thing since a lot of them are related to my field but I think there must be fundamental difference of definition between sensor DR and DXO's capture photo DR, I don't know.

Two random 50lux, M9

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7503

Can't remember if it was the 35 or the 50

M9 Biogon 35 ZM by edward karaa, on Flickr

edwardkaraa

One more:

L1003128 by edward karaa, on Flickr

edwardkaraa

L1003160 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1003129 by edward karaa, on Flickr

edwardkaraa

Last one for tonight

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4930

Thanks Edward! Very nice series of images. Again, the last one in particular looks like it was shot on transparency film!

The great thing about the 21 is I can crop it to taste. Framing is not usually that critical for this kind of work. I think the ones I posted here were all uncropped, but in the final edit, there were many images where I cropped the 21 to probably closer to 28 and the 28 to 35, and the 50 to 75... At least for this kind of work, where the client is not expecting 20" print resolution, 18MP offers a good file size to support such cropping. I don't really miss not having the zooms I would otherwise have used on my DSLR prior to the M9.

I also had to do an impromptu group photo with about 30 people during this event... I shot it with the 21 SEM. The final crop is probably closer to about 24mm, but what I want to mention is with the lighting I had set up, the exposure on the M9 was f/4.5 @ ISO 640 and the shot was sharp across the frame. Granted, I could have shot it on the DSLR at ISO 1600 and got closer to f/8, but even at f/8, there would have been noticeable sharpness falloff towards the edges. In the past I always felt the 16-35 was a pretty significant compromise for such a shot, but now I can confidently do such a shot at a moderate aperture value and not need to worry about across frame sharpness. While that's not to say other WA primes for DLSRs couldn't also do this, such as perhaps the ZE/ZF 21/2.8... for me at least, it's great to have this fabulous sharpness in such a compact package.

rscheffler wrote:

Anyway, kind of boring stuff - guys in suits - but at the same time was a fun event with interesting people (not uncommon in a university environment). It pays the bills and is an excuse to use the M9 some more.

zhangyue wrote:
Not at all, Ron, that is awesome post. the results are very professional. I enjoy the photos very much. Lighting setup is field I know nothing, I am sure I will revisit your thread to pay more attention to your description again.

I am surprised to hear that about less than 11 bit dynamic range with Sony sensor. I get the impression from DXO rating that DR is more than that. I have good understanding about fundamental of this SNR, DR thing since a lot of them are related to my field but I think there must be fundamental difference of definition between sensor DR and DXO's capture photo DR, I don't know.

Well, I also don't know! I can only assume theSuede is correct since he seems to have a reputable following here... But then I've also read this blog post by Jim Kasson, who concludes the RX1 is 13 bit... So who to believe?

My impression is it's not as important as many make it out to be. Is it visually noticeable? Probably not. I can recall a long-running discussion on the Canon board about whether or not 14 bits was a noticeable improvement over 12. There are probably many other factors in the imaging chain that have a greater influence over final image quality.

Having used the RX1 for about a week and a few hundred images, its image quality sure seemed impressive to me.

Having played around with M files from others, my gut feeling is the M sits somewhere between the RX1 and the M9 in terms of file malleability. Probably closer to the RX1. But what I've also found, when examining M9 and M files shot side by side, is it's pretty easy to match the two quite closely.

Earlier in the day last week on Good Friday - Grand Bend at Lake Huron:

21 SEM:

M9 vs. Google Nexus 4 (FWIW, the Nexus's camera flares badly when shot into the sun like this):

28 Cron:

90 Summarit:

airfrogusmc
Total Posts: 3103

Nice use of light and the M9 in those corporate event shots.

Ed great job with the color in those last two.

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 5061

Nice set Ron and Ed! Ron - you really make that 21SEM sing. Such a great performing lens..

Jabberwockt
Total Posts: 557

Been away, sorry to hear about your loss edward. Cathing up on the thread, love using the new like button.

denoir
Total Posts: 4211

After what seems like an endless winter, we finally got some sun here in Stockholm these past days, so I took the camera out for a spin

carstenw
Total Posts: 15769

#2 and #4 are great! Nice to see you back!

denoir
Total Posts: 4211

Thanks Carsten, hopefully the coming of better weather will motivate me to go out and shoot more. Previous winters I found my motivation mostly by buying new gear

airfrogusmc
Total Posts: 3103

I really like the last one...

edwardkaraa

Thank you Ron, Allen, Jabber

Justin, nice shots but I really dislike flash in general.
Zhangyue, I like the 1st one.
Ron, nice electric blue skies and compositions. The last 2 shots are fantastic!
Luka, good to see you here I also like the last two shots. Beautiful work.

Gary Clennan

Luka - Great to see you back! I really like #2 and #5. Great textures...

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2808

Ron, I like #3,4,7.
Luka, Great set, #1&2 for me.

More 50lux
f5.6?

WO

edwardkaraa

Beautiful colors, Zhangyue.

Gary Clennan

Love that last one Michael!

rscheffler

I also love that last one Michael!
Luka - welcome back from hibernation Great set and really like the last two, in particular.

rscheffler

The colour on the beach was very drab, so figured B&W would be better...

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH except second to last with the 28 Cron and the last with the 90 Summarit.

And just to wrap up this outing, a few stragglers...

21 SEM:

28 Cron:

1       2       3              672      
       674              1049       1050       end