C/y 35-70 thread
/forum/topic/862783/51

1       2       3              51      
       53       end

lumis beans
Total Posts: 214

Anyone using an aftermarket lens hood that does not vignette @ 35mm. If so, which one.

Thanks.

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1595

lumis beans wrote:
Anyone using an aftermarket lens hood that does not vignette @ 35mm. If so, which one.

Thanks.

I prefer Contax Metal hood, but it would not exists; Hama rubber hood works well. In tele end it can be extended fully and protects very well, really good when shooting in rain (in tele end...).

Samuli

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

Mamiya 645 55-110mm zoom hood - all metal and very effective.
(h/t mawz)

sculptormic
Total Posts: 1403

I use the C/Y 67/86 ring. It should may be used in combination with the Contax metal Hood 1 but i don't have that one.

cams884
Total Posts: 63

Bringing this thread back as it was from here that I learned of this lens back towards the start of the year. I've just picked one up for myself. It looks to be in immaculate condition externally and the glass is in very good nick.

I haven't had a chance to get it out shooting yet to see how it performs, but I just wondered if anyone has had a bit of a rattle sort of noise coming from inside theirs? It is made when I move it back and forth sideways (rather than forward and back along its length).

The focus ring turns like butter, and the aperture ring snaps like the day it was made. However, the zoom movement is a bit uneven throughout the range if this gives any clue to someone as to what the rattle might be?

thanks.

leo11877
Total Posts: 335

cams884 wrote:
Bringing this thread back as it was from here that I learned of this lens back towards the start of the year. I've just picked one up for myself. It looks to be in immaculate condition externally and the glass is in very good nick.

I haven't had a chance to get it out shooting yet to see how it performs, but I just wondered if anyone has had a bit of a rattle sort of noise coming from inside theirs? It is made when I move it back and forth sideways (rather than forward and back along its length).

The focus ring turns like butter, and the aperture ring snaps like the day it was made. However, the zoom movement is a bit uneven throughout the range if this gives any clue to someone as to what the rattle might be?

thanks.

Looking forward to this. What body are you using it on?

cams884

Body is an A7.

Greggf
Total Posts: 1680

The Contax 35-70 was made for the A7! Been using my together for months! Great combination!
Here is a shot I took last night while on vacation in Hawaii...the image looks not sharp, and that's cause I transferred the original image from my A7 to my iPhone 5s(pretty small file size) then pp'd in Snapseed
Gregg

Abuttolph
Total Posts: 132

Seeing all of the terrific images in this thread inspired me to get out with my C/Y 35-70mm this morning. Below is a shot, hand held, and wind was blowing. The focus was not nailed perfectly, but well enough for just a walk-around shot. I love the color rendering with this lens.

cams884

Gave mine a good workout over the last couple of weeks. Here is one of the first that I'm happy with.

This is taken near Marysville, Victoria (Australia). In 2009 devastating bushfires ripped through this area. They nearly completely destroyed the town of Marysville as well as other nearby towns. Many lives were lost.

It was positive seeing how much has been rebuilt in this time and the regrowth in the bush was beautiful. All the while there was a sombre feeling though.

wfrank
Total Posts: 2968

I wasnt aware of this thread - or - had deliberately forgotten about it since getting the CY28-85 a couple of years ago. This shot ought to be taken with the very same copy that the original TS (Anden/Andreas) was awaiting when starting this thread in 2010.

A7 + CY35-70 and ... a shot of an old car

cams884

A few more:

Close up capabilities (this is cropped as well):

cams884

And more...

Panorama from Carr's Lookout (Queensland, Aust). This view looks out over the Condamine valley towards Wilsons Peak and in the distance Mt. Barney. Wasn't a very clear day, but I think the foreground makes up for it.

Queen Mary Falls.

Minto Crags

Anden
Total Posts: 6512

wfrank wrote:
I wasnt aware of this thread - or - had deliberately forgotten about it since getting the CY28-85 a couple of years ago. This shot ought to be taken with the very same copy that the original TS (Anden/Andreas) was awaiting when starting this thread in 2010.

You put it to good use.

plasticmotif
Total Posts: 876

wfrank wrote:

That shot is so sharp I need a band-aid from viewing it.

Sjredo
Total Posts: 26

Why can't the SEL2470Z be like this?

arduluth
Total Posts: 224

Sjredo wrote:

I'm sure there are other reasons, but a few reasons come to mind: weight, range and Sony rather than Zeiss?

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1526

arduluth wrote:
Sjredo wrote:

I'm sure there are other reasons, but a few reasons come to mind: weight, range and Sony rather than Zeiss?

Sony expecting very high margins on their lenses?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

Sjredo wrote:

3x zoom vs 2x zoom, AF vs MF, OS versus nothing, price point.

arduluth
Total Posts: 224

Phillip Reeve wrote:
arduluth wrote:
Sjredo wrote:

Sony expecting very high margins on their lenses?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it, but I don't have any idea of what margins Sony has on the SEL2470Z vs Contax's margins on the 35-70/3.5. I was mostly thinking of Sony vs Zeiss designers and the requirements Sony would place on the design of such a lens, like AF, OSS, and a size/weight limit.

1       2       3              51      
       53       end