/forum/topic/860134/942

1       2       3              942      
       944              1019       1020       end

webmstrk9
Total Posts: 497

I feel the need to run barefoot through that grass

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 8754

D800e with ZF 25/2.8. First HDR with the new Lightroom CC 2015 -- I like it a lot better than the other brands -- less carnival colors.

Gunzorro

tzic wrote:
25mm suits me better. And 67mm filter thread is a plus. But rendering quality, micro contrast etc how do they compare to the magic 21 zf?

Ripolini wrote:

Both are excellent.
It depends on lenses you already have and on your shooting style/preferences.

I prefer the angle of view of the ZF 25/2.8 (actually, it is closer to 26mm than 25mm). This fits me best for general wide angle photos. Wider than that, I prefer TSE lenses from Canon in 17 and 24, and wider still, the Samyang 14.

There is a trade off in the tolerable aberrations between the 21 (I owned the ZE version and got rid of it) and the 25.

The greatest irritation to me with the 21 is the terrible and intense vignetting and resulting central hot spot, even stopped down to shooting apertures. This was exceptionally hard to deal with for many landscapes, and particularly architecture. This lens has higher contrast than the 25, but I find the 25 to have more pleasing contrast for outdoor work.

The ZF 25/2.8 (never used the newer, better 25/2 ZF.2) has some CA to deal with, but this is not intense, reduces with smaller apertures, and is easy to clean up in PP. It is also smaller, lighter and using smaller 58mm filters.

Given the choice, my #1 pick is the older ZF version, next would be the newer heavier f/2 ZF.2 version, and lastly, I'd burden myself with the 21/2.8 model. Since you seem to be considering the 25/2 ZF.2 with its 67mm filter, I'd say go with your gut on this.

All are great lenses. Just pick your weight and price preferences! (For $500, a used ZF 25/2.8 is hard to beat! )

Ray S.
Total Posts: 331

Gunzorro wrote:
tzic wrote:
25mm suits me better. And 67mm filter thread is a plus. But rendering quality, micro contrast etc how do they compare to the magic 21 zf?

Ripolini wrote:

Both are excellent.
It depends on lenses you already have and on your shooting style/preferences.

I prefer the angle of view of the ZF 25/2.8 (actually, it is closer to 26mm than 25mm). This fits me best for general wide angle photos. Wider than that, I prefer TSE lenses from Canon in 17 and 24, and wider still, the Samyang 14.

There is a trade off in the tolerable aberrations between the 21 (I owned the ZE version and got rid of it) and the 25.

The greatest irritation to me with the 21 is the terrible and intense vignetting and resulting central hot spot, even stopped down to shooting apertures. This was exceptionally hard to deal with for many landscapes, and particularly architecture. This lens has higher contrast than the 25, but I find the 25 to have more pleasing contrast for outdoor work.

The ZF 25/2.8 (never used the newer, better 25/2 ZF.2) has some CA to deal with, but this is not intense, reduces with smaller apertures, and is easy to clean up in PP. It is also smaller, lighter and using smaller 58mm filters.

Given the choice, my #1 pick is the older ZF version, next would be the newer heavier f/2 ZF.2 version, and lastly, I'd burden myself with the 21/2.8 model. Since you seem to be considering the 25/2 ZF.2 with its 67mm filter, I'd say go with your gut on this.

All are great lenses. Just pick your weight and price preferences! (For $500, a used ZF 25/2.8 is hard to beat! )

I'm not all that great at teasing out all of the detailed plusses and minuses of particular lenses, but I develop a feel for a lens and a confidence level with it (or not) pretty quickly. And the Zeiss 25 f2.8 and 21 f2.8 are my two favorite and most used lenses by quite a lot.

I can't say I have a preference for one over the other. I know the 21 tests a lot better and the testers usually have some pretty negative things to say about the 25 f2.8, but I love the 25 too. To me, the 25 is more of an every day type of lens - it's kind of a sweet spot focal length for me and I can comfortably shoot almost anything I shoot with that lens, other than portraits and other longer lens type of stuff. That it's actually almost a 26 also eliminates the need to choose between a 24 and 28 for a day of shooting, being roughly in the middle. The 21 is a bit more of a specialty focal length, but I love that lens so much I end up using it nearly as much as the 25. They both have that classic Zeiss rendering with tons of micro-contrast and incredible colors. I guess they behave somewhat differently in terms of stuff like vignetting and field curvature, but I think I subconsciously adapt to those kinds of things pretty quickly and either come to really love a lens or not. These two lenses I love and use constantly.

I'll sometimes bring a Voigtlander 40 or a Nikon 50 along in case I want a middle focal length, but I very rarely end up using them. That used to be the case with the Zeiss 35, so I recently sold it because If figured I didn't need to keep a lens with that much cost in it and carry that much bulk and weight for a lens I was using so little. I very often go out for a days shooting with the Zeiss 21/25 combo and the old Nikon 75-150 and I'm covered for almost anything I'm inclined to shoot.

-Ray

Ray S.
Total Posts: 331

webmstrk9 wrote:
I feel the need to run barefoot through that grass

It's not nearly as smooth or soft as it looks - you'd cut up your feet and probably break an ankle!

-Ray

m.sommers00
Total Posts: 2042

D810 + 35/2 ZF.2

Main Dish by msommers00, on Flickr

Wire Lighting by msommers00, on Flickr

Diploneis
Total Posts: 369

Great images everybody! It is always a pleasure to see images here!

Here are couple more from Iceland with ZE21

Cheers,
Martynas

webmstrk9
Total Posts: 497

Diploneis wrote:
Great images everybody! It is always a pleasure to see images here!

Here are couple more from Iceland with ZE21

Cheers,
Martynas

Beautifully done!

OneAnt
Total Posts: 691

--

—-oooO—-
—-(—)—-
—–\–(–
——\_)-
———–Oooo—
———–(—-)—
————)–/—-
———-(_/-
Ant.
ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

OneAnt
Total Posts: 691

--

—-oooO—-
—-(—)—-
—–\–(–
——\_)-
———–Oooo—
———–(—-)—
————)–/—-
———-(_/-
Ant.
ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

Gunzorro

OneAnt wrote:

unReGiSTerEd
--
Street(sooc) D700 50/2Makro)

—-oooO—-
—-(—)—-
—–\–(–
——\_)-
———–Oooo—
———–(—-)—
————)–/—-
———-(_/-
Ant.
ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

Is it "interestingly weird", or is it "weirdly interesting"?

m.sommers00
Total Posts: 2042

A friend of mine playing at a local cafe tonight.

Gravity Espresso and Wine Bar by msommers00, on Flickr

Rob at Gravity by msommers00, on Flickr

DaveFP
Total Posts: 77

Amazing images Ronny.

Every time I see your work I get a hankering to try the 100MP.

(Not that I'll get pics like yours; )

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Thanks David.. appreciated

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Nice to see you post Ant.. Great work !

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1892

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 ZE, CZ Circ-Pol filter, A7

f/4

f/5.6

f/4

f/5.6

f/4

Samuli

recordproducti
Total Posts: 332

^^^ Number 2 looks great

Ulff
Total Posts: 1128

stone age...

(a composite of an ZE 21 and ZE 100 image)

fsiagian
Total Posts: 2349

Wow, where is that? Are those houses? Where are the doors and how do they get in/out?

akul
Total Posts: 2699

ZF.2 21

1       2       3              942      
       944              1019       1020       end