^ Nice!

Some shots with the 15mm Distagon.

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1929

ZF50..

Frogfish
Total Posts: 2960

designdog wrote:
OK, here is a quandary. If you look at my humble profile, you will see that I have a small but very choice selection of lenses. Did not happen overnight, I assure you!

The Nikon 85 1.5G is the newest. As in brand new. It was a choice between the Zeiss 2.8/21 and that one. My reason for going with the Nikon: I already have the 24 1.4, and I am not that comfortable with wide angle lenses. Most of the on line shots from that lens seem to be (exquisite) vistas of places I will never visit.

On the other hand, my first shots with the 1.4/85 demonstrated my need for a long learning curve. I enjoy the 85mm focal, length, and the Nikon is a classic, so I went in that direction.

Now I wonder. First shots with the Nikon 1.4 don't look appreciably different than the 1.8G, which I was planning to sell. I could simply return the Nikon 85 1.4 for the Zeiss 2.8/21. But that leaves me with my original fear of wide angle.

Silly, I know. Any thoughts?

The 21mm is a simply magical piece of glass with Pixie Dust liberally sprinkled all over it

I had the 85/1.8g and sold it. It is a lovely lens when you have time to construct your image, however I once used it for a boxing match gig and had to bin it after 5 mins (and switch to the Sigma 50/1.4 which did a great job) - low light and fast action it is surely not designed for !

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4648

Picturethis - Love the look of that 50!

A few B&W conversions from the 15/2.8 ZE

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Frogfish wrote:
designdog wrote:
OK, here is a quandary. If you look at my humble profile, you will see that I have a small but very choice selection of lenses. Did not happen overnight, I assure you!

The Nikon 85 1.5G is the newest. As in brand new. It was a choice between the Zeiss 2.8/21 and that one. My reason for going with the Nikon: I already have the 24 1.4, and I am not that comfortable with wide angle lenses. Most of the on line shots from that lens seem to be (exquisite) vistas of places I will never visit.

On the other hand, my first shots with the 1.4/85 demonstrated my need for a long learning curve. I enjoy the 85mm focal, length, and the Nikon is a classic, so I went in that direction.

Now I wonder. First shots with the Nikon 1.4 don't look appreciably different than the 1.8G, which I was planning to sell. I could simply return the Nikon 85 1.4 for the Zeiss 2.8/21. But that leaves me with my original fear of wide angle.

Silly, I know. Any thoughts?

The 21mm is a simply magical piece of glass with Pixie Dust liberally sprinkled all over it

I !

I know it is, based upon all of the response and the great photos on line. Just wish I was more comfortable with wide angle or travelled a lot more.

I knew what I was getting with the 1.4/85 going in. but some of the shots I have seen were magic, and at a focal length that I am happy with. Don't do sports or action shots. For a MF bag, I am trying the 2/35 and the 1.4/85 for a while. See how that works.

Meanwhile I am going out with just the Nikon 24mm 1.3G to negate my wide angle apprehension...

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1929

Thanks Bob. Nice work with the 15 !

ZF50

tzic
Total Posts: 78

Amazing, superb images.

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
tivv - I try to avoid commenting portraits OR processed photos - however I liked what you had done on post processing to enhance the skin texture on this one, great work!
Ronny - enjoyed the two dragonflies picture (on large size in Flickr, on forum the wing patterns weren't at their best)

JaKo wrote:
Now, with Samuli back on FM trees are back in fashion

thanks

Talking about trees - few "cheat" photos (took 3-6 frame panoramas to "enlarge sensor"):

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2, 2.5 seconds, ISO 100

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2, 2.5 seconds, ISO 100

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2, 15 seconds, ISO 100

--
Samuli

darbo
Total Posts: 178

^Excellent interior architecture and captures Bob!

JaKo
Total Posts: 1010

darbo wrote:
^Excellent interior architecture and captures Bob!

+1

Especially 1st and 3rd shots - my faves.
Good choice to convert them to BW.

JaKo
Total Posts: 1010

Both shots taken WO.

rodizzle33
Total Posts: 378

D800 + 100MP

Lily's Photoshoot by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1584

JaKo, great looking matte black car. I have found them always hard to capture well - thou I have had to shoot them usually indoors, which makes it harder.

Reminder why I like to shoot 1-2 stops down, the bokeh in corners is just ugly. The C/Y version definitely has nicer wide open bokeh - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/1.4:

Not wide open, but bokeh can be really ugly @ f/2.2 as well:

Last two wide open as well but didn't put anything distracting to corners:

--
Samuli

nibutto
Total Posts: 185

rodizzle33 wrote:
D800 + 100MP

Very good!
I'm curious to know if you focused through the viewfinder or magnified live view.

nibutto
Total Posts: 185

35/1,4
"Daisy"

"Grass"

rodizzle33

I had a focusingscreen.com split screen, while it helped a little but it was slightly off. I used the focus confirm dot most of the time. I went back to the OEM focusing screen.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15689

Hmm, I have been considering one of those screens. In what way was it off? Did it come with shims?

Mirza Ahmad
Total Posts: 1240

Some lovely images, especially the trees with the 35mm. Thanks for sharing.

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 1129

Samuli - I have to say, I love all those not-stopped-down shots. Though the last two are my favorites. I like short-DOF landscapes when used that way - there's still plenty of detail in the overall image, and you get a great sense of depth.

rodizzle33

They did come with the shims, but nothing fixed it. So I decided to just take it off. I didn't like how it messed up the metering also.

1       2       3              906      
       908              981       982       end