philber wrote:
Great stuff, Craig!

+1

canerino
Total Posts: 10797

Lee Saxon wrote:
That's some pretty bad Photoshop :/

Wonder why he lied about it.

A friend of mine directed me to this thread. Here I am...feel free to ask me any questions. No lies ever necessary on my end.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2590

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

canerino

AlexDROP wrote:
The plane of focus must be reflected on the ground showing a narrow sharp line that is absent on the shot. Moreover the foreground is heavily patched and has some evident areas of recurring textures/patterns. And it's a little bit more than "blah,blah, blah... just levels honestly". No doubt he is lying. Though I don't have enough facts to state that the background picture and the boy shot were taken separately.

A friend directed me to this thread. Nice to meet you Alex. Sorry to say that you are wrong and I dont appreciate being called a liar. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

canerino

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Unless the guy is lying, its not a PS job... (but I agree, looks too good to be true)

He is lying, the kid has too big DOF. Dodging and burning explains why kid's shoes don't have vignetting as much as background. The amount of background blur doesn't look weird to me (before moving to Zeiss I shot a lot with 85/1.2mkII), but it won't make the image great - typical 85/1.2L image; cardboard people on blurry background - people don't have clear shape and volume, just damn flat cardboard figures - definitely not even slightest hint of 3D in these.

Samuli

Pleasure to meet you, Samuli. I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong and that I am not lying. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

canerino

carstenw wrote:

If you read the thread to the end, he added that he had forgotten that he extended the foreground via cloning. This is why the ground looks so weird. There was originally too little foreground under the kid's feet.

I am not sure that it is fake beyond that. The depth of field is a bit odd, but so is the dof of the 50MP, and I don't know this lens. I don't like the look particularly though. As Samuli says, it looks like a cardboard person in front of a blurry backdrop, nothing inspiring there, and the colours look fake or wrong. I have never been that impressed with the photos I have seen from the 85L, but I am careful about saying that, since it has so many fans.

Thank you Carstenw. You got it exactly right. I am not concerned about people liking the image or not (that's the fun part about photography), but I do not appreciate being called a liar as others have done.

It's a weird thing. I'm a long standing member here with a long history of posting, helping, and sharing. Why wouldnt someone just hit the PM button before calling me a liar?

canerino

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
bushwacker wrote:

Hello Zeiss people,

Just one question is this the proper way to bokeh? or a 3D? seems like the Kid been copy and pasted. Don't you think? it looks unatural.

here it is:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2035384

Not sure are you seriously asking... Quite obvious that it's PhotoShop result not real photo, would require lobotomy to believe this is real image;
1) kid has DOF worth of f/2.8-3.5 (the left arm in focus, which is 20-30cm further away compared to right side of face) while background has ultra shallow DOF
2) vignetting only occurs in background - real vignetting would also affect to kid's legs

Samuli

Sorry Sam, wrong again. Ask any questions you'd like. I'm here to answer them.

darbo
Total Posts: 211

Craig and Ronny,

The flowers and bugs look amazing; great work witht the 100MP!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3135

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Awesome!

Ronny _Olsson

Thanks Jim,Darbo and Kevin

user222
Total Posts: 794

thanks guys!

JaKo
Total Posts: 1095

Ronny, are you swinging towards 'Naked Lunch' world with your recent shots?

JaKo

Maktenian take

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1596

canerino wrote:
I'm a long standing member here with a long history of posting, helping, and sharing. Why wouldnt someone just hit the PM button before calling me a liar?

Well, people hiding behind nicknames... How in earth anybody could have known that you are same nickname xyz here and same xyz in some other forum? And why to bother even check since the nickname doesn't sound unique? Sorry, don't trust even a drop to people with just nicknames unless they have been posting long time to threads I have been following up. I don't recall ever seen your posts of Fred Miranda, so you must be posting to other forums/threads what I'm following.

canerino wrote:
Sorry Sam, wrong again. Ask any questions you'd like. I'm here to answer them.

Considering that we don't really know how image is processed could you please provide dropbox (or similar) link to the RAW via PM or to temporary email address I created for this case: fredmiranda.canerino85l@vahonen.com

Originally it was claimed to be non processed. Then it came out that the foreground was photoshopped to the photo (photo was artificially extended by cloning) and dodging and burning, and then also "sponging" whatever that is. So there really is no way of knowing what has been done to the photo - also I don't expect you or anybody to remember how they processed some photo ages ago. Now I'm reading dpreview thread for first time and you had posted real image there, but it's no longer available, just a question mark icon indicating URL not available, so there is also no reference to non-photoshopped image.

I have shoot thousands of frames with 85/1.2LmkII, thou mostly nature, not so much people. And with web resizing processes I'm familiar * it would never be possible to have both arms in focus @ f/1.2 at that size web presentation with processing claimed to be done to photo (extending foreground, dodging burning, sponge to shoe of which none affects apparent DOF). As the photo is presented it looks result of focus stacking since the subject has long DOF but background is blurred - in small websize image this can be done without focus stacking via sharpening (either purposely in PS or using weird resizing method).

* from standard bicubic in PS to all kind of advanced step sharpenings and processes based to advanced resizing algorithm like Lanczos - but outside few tests I have never outputted webresized output from Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture since both produce results I can't personally accept, so I'm not familiar if their resizing algorithm affects to apparent DOF in the websized output.

Apologies about off-topic...
Ronny, have been enjoying your makro images in last pages. I can't get that close to animals without scaring them away - or then I just don't have the patience.
Manu, liked your ZF21 beach landscape few pages ago.
Grenache, your "Whisk" (personally I would have preferred straightened horizon and non tilting trees) and "Two is a crowd" IR images were very nice. Nice to see that 15mm works so well in IR.
JaKo, 50MP rendering is very flat - the woman in 2nd photo looks like cardboard and very flat and 2D

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 @ f/11, 3.2s, 5DmkII@ISO100, Polarizer

Samuli

JaKo

Samuli Vahonen wrote: JaKo, 50MP rendering is very flat - the woman in 2nd photo looks like cardboard and very flat and 2D

You're right! She must be on some fiber diet or I used Leica instead of Zeiss lens

Ronny _Olsson

Thanks

Great set Jako
Samuli: Is a mystery to me how you get out all the details in your tree pictures
And then such pressure in the picture. Great work!

philber
Total Posts: 7651

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks

Great set Jako
Samuli: Is a mystery to me how you get out all the details in your tree pictures
And then such pressure in the picture. Great work!

+1!!!

JaKo

Thank you Ronny. It's nice to see you go back to your 100MP once i a while

Couple more from 'Power Generators' series:

1       2       3              863      
       865              998       999       end