ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)
/forum/topic/860134/853

1       2       3              853      
       855              978       979       end

Greggf
Total Posts: 1571

I was in between doctor appointments for my thumb yesterday, and brought the 50MP out for a little jaunt near the beach. A few taken in bright sunlight around midday.
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1583

darbo, below are some more samples. From most images posted on this and previous pages I have shoot also other apertures. If you wish to see other apertures or bigger size just let me know via PM or this thread (I read this thread usually daily) - and I mean what I say, I have got so much from this forum that I'm very willing to help others if I can.

It's way too early to make any final conclusions, but if comparing to Makro-Planar T* 2/100, which I have shoot as my main tele lens since ZF series 2/100 came available in 2008, later upgrading to ZE. I would say these are main differences I have noticed this far:
1. APO-Sonnar (AS) has always smooth bokeh, where Makro-Planar (MP) bokeh can be very nervous and edgy at widest apertures
1.1 Partly caused by the light distribution in the bokeh highlight "balls" - MP has more light concentrated to edges of the "balls", where AS has even light concentration and softer edges of the "balls"
1.2 MP has huge vignetting at large distances wide open, making effective aperture at corners of the image to be smaller than in the middle = uneven bokeh over the frame. AS seems to have less vignetting (but the price of that is that it's HUGE and weights more).
2. MP has very strong tendency to create bokeh CA, green/magenta in both sides of focus plane. This is very annoying when for example photographing car on top of wet asphalt; there typically is green and magenta "tint" before and after the focus plane. With AS I have not even seen hint of bokeh CA OR CA in focus plane.
3. AS has better contrast and micro contrast wide open than MP. Most of the time when I focus with live view (I have JPG settings so that the sharpening is to the maximum, don't affect to RAW file what I shoot but makes focusing much easier) the image jumps to focus with AS and I have nailed focus in whole frame view about 7 out 10 times = 3 of 10 I needed to focus on 10x magnification view.
4. DOF is much more shorter in AS than focal length difference would make me to believe. With AS I can separate subject from the background very clearly even the subject would be 20meters (~60feet) away and the background is 25meters (~75feet)
5. MP needs to be closed down to f/2.5-3.5 to get the best subject to background separation (contrast plays role as well, not just DOF). While AS gets maximum separation wide open. I don't see much improvement in contrast or micro contrast when closing down the lens.
6. AS seems to have tendency to create "swirly bokeh" from texture/feature rich background - see the 3 last samples below. This may happen with MP, but it's quite rare and I haven't seen it happening many times. Personally I like this kind of bokeh, but I guess it's question of one's preferences again.

For me as "forest photographer" bokeh is one of the most important factors in lenses, this far I see only improvements in AS compared to MP.

Reading above please take into account:
a) I haven't shot any close-ups yet (largest magnification maybe 1:6 in few photos), mostly just the kind of photos you have seen me post here
b) I haven't shot any human made stuff/"urban" stuff, just my usual nature stuff
c) I have shoot the way I shoot; using live view and LCDVF to shoot camera normally despite using live view, haven't used optical viewfinder even once with the lens
d) I haven't and will not shoot any side by side stuff, short spring and summer has begin in Finland and it's priority for me to use all the shooting time for the real stuff, not "lens review/comparison"

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/400s, 5DmkII@ISO100

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/1000s, 5DmkII@ISO100 - larger

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/1250s, 5DmkII@ISO100

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/1000s, 5DmkII@ISO100

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/800s, 5DmkII@ISO100 - larger

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/1000s, 5DmkII@ISO100 - larger

Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/2.0, 1/60s, 5DmkII@ISO100

Tomorrow hopefully it will be OK weather and we may have more samples...

Samuli

EDIT corrected about 20 typos, so 50 more remaining...
EDIT2 added EXIF data (forgot the shutter speeds from original post)

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1583

Greggf wrote:
I was in between doctor appointments for my thumb yesterday, and brought the 50MP out for a little jaunt near the beach. A few taken in bright sunlight around midday.
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Liked the last one. Very good work to hide the 50MP field curvature, only little too sharp bottom corners give it away this time.

Samuli

darbo
Total Posts: 173

Thank you much for the excellent summary review on the 2/135 Samuli. And you latest photos are beautiful and quite arresting: Excellent subject-isolation with those. The f/2 shots are exactly the aperture I would have asked to see.

Greggf

Thank you Samuli...
The last pic in the series above does it for me!! Incredible separation between subject and background!! Very crisp! And I do like the swirly bokeh, too.
Gregg

Greggf

A recent shot of our dog, Rajah! 50MP
Gregg

nibutto
Total Posts: 181

Rodluvan wrote:
nibutto the 5th (green door) one I like particularly much. Where in italy are those taken?

The lovely place is Isola d'Elba in Italy (Tuscany)
I enjoied going there by bike (950Km trip) (the DSLR and the 21 Zeiss)

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

^ Great shots! Have you considered a Moto Guzzi Norge instead?

uscmatt99
Total Posts: 330

Samuli, that was an excellent summary of your findings, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and images. Really helpful for those of us who own the 100MP and are on the fence regarding the 135/2.

Rodluvan
Total Posts: 668

Yeah, thanks Samuli, I will think of some particular questions to ask you I'm sure.

two with 1.4/35 during Walpurgis

the downsize sharpening is a little intrusive here, I may have to reconfigure it, but for now it'll have to do.

Diploneis
Total Posts: 300

Great images everybody!!!

Here is one from Ålesund with ZE 2/35

Fverburg
Total Posts: 52

Diploneis

This is OUTSTANDING!

Great work

Regards

Frank

wiseguy010
Total Posts: 701

Fverburg wrote:
Diploneis

This is OUTSTANDING!

Great work

Regards

Frank

Yes, really fantastic.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2715

Dipoloneis, The sharpness looks not neutral but stunning image nevertheless you have such great photographer's eyes.

Is 1600 become FM standard now?

photoe
Total Posts: 45

Rodluvan - Thanks, aberrations are not totally absent, you can provoke minor aberrations at f2 in extreme light situations.
Greggf - Thank you.
darbo - Samuli has summed up the 2/135 characteristics very well. I have to add that I took all my pictures with 5DMKII EG-S screen and OVF. In that respect is the 2/135 for me the best Zeiss lens. I get more keepers than from any other Zeiss lens I own.
Samuli - Thank you for your excellent AS MP comparison. It is always very helpful and enlightening for me reading your posts.

Grenache
Total Posts: 1869

Samuli, great shots with AS. Background bokeh and subject isolation incredible, much more reminicent of a 200 or 300mm lens.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2372

Samuli: Great shot .. and congratulations to zeiss 135
Martynas : Outstanding !

Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Rodluvan
Total Posts: 668

Oh, hi Ronny, I think I ran past your daughter going to work this Friday.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2372

Rodluvan wrote:
Oh, hi Ronny, I think I ran past your daughter going to work this Friday.

hope not that you did it Daniel I have been a Stockholm last week
concert with her ... I live in Johannishus in blekinge county and not in Stockholm

Diploneis
Total Posts: 300

Atlanterhavsveien or The Atlantic Ocean Road is a two-lane highway in Norway, which connects the island and municipality of Averøy with the mainland at Eide. It has been declared one of the world’s best road trips. Enjoy your ride!

Ze 2/35

1       2       3              853      
       855              978       979       end