Total Posts: 476

Guitar pic bokeh with 50P.

2013_04_06_0156_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.
Dave

Rodluvan
Total Posts: 713

wfrank wrote:
Rödluvan, sweet. I did not see any Nikon cam guy but here's a shot from the very same place at noon today (as your #1). Distagon 35/1.4:

That's because I'm not vulgar, but more akin to The Wind :P

More from yesterday with the 2.8/21 which I'm growing more and more fond of

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 4920

Thanks Wilhelm
Love your shot !!

Carl zeiss distagon T* 2/35 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Rodluvan

Today (april, ey) 50P

Ronny Olsson

Great set Daniel ! Especially #2

Rodluvan

Thank Ronny!

Reagan
Total Posts: 4534

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks Wilhelm
Love your shot !!

Carl zeiss distagon T* 2/35 ZF

I feel like I can reach out and touch this one Ronny

Reagan

dthrog00
Total Posts: 476

There are some great shots on this page.

Here's one of mine from today with the 50mm Planar at f/2.8. I think the transition of in focus to out of focus gives the cherub some 3D pop.

2013_04_07_0231_upd_bw by dthrog00, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.
Dave

Johnny B Goode
Total Posts: 447

Ronny _Olsson: #1 on this page is gorgeous. Gotta say the 35/2 boat shot catches my attention as well

dthrog00 & Rodluvan: very nice work with the 50mm planar.

wfrank: love the 35/1.4 portrait. the shadows are perfectly exposed without blowing out the highlights.

I was asked to photograph a family today. It was a great day to do so and came away with some fun pictures. As I pulled into my driveway I reached for my camera and bag only to find that I had left the bag at the park. My head began to flood with thoughts of stupidity. Not wasting a moment I threw the truck into gear, dumped the clutch and raced back to the park. An hour and 15 minutes after I had left the park I was fortunate to find my camera bag sitting under the park bench where I had left it. However the jarring trip (I FLEW over bumps, pot holes, and any terrain in my way) had dislodged the intake tube under the hood and my truck and my truck was running rough. Leaving the park I drove a block before needing to stop and refasten the tube. As I went to turn around and get back on the road I came upon a couple rusted gems hidden from the public's view. I stopped, met the owner and was able to snap a few shots before heading back on my way.

with the 50P

IMG_0870 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_0875 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_0883 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_0881 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

Grenache
Total Posts: 2174

Thank you Ronny and Samuli.

Samuli, I wanted to retain the awakening of the day by leaving the foreground darker. The foreground values are 1/3 to 1/2 those of the sky. I did not seek those values numerically but arrived at them for what looked good to me. While I did sample a range of brightness of the foregound, making it brighter substantially changed the mood of the image from serene to Martian.

carstenw
Total Posts: 16162

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I was asked to photograph a family today. It was a great day to do so and came away with some fun pictures. As I pulled into my driveway I reached for my camera and bag only to find that I had left the bag at the park. My head began to flood with thoughts of stupidity. Not wasting a moment I threw the truck into gear, dumped the clutch and raced back to the park. An hour and 15 minutes after I had left the park I was fortunate to find my camera bag sitting under the park bench where I had left it. However the jarring trip (I FLEW over bumps, pot holes, and any terrain in my way) had dislodged the intake tube under the hood and my truck and my truck was running rough. Leaving the park I drove a block before needing to stop and refasten the tube. As I went to turn around and get back on the road I came upon a couple rusted gems hidden from the public's view. I stopped, met the owner and was able to snap a few shots before heading back on my way.

Sounds like you had an exciting day

Nice car (maybe).

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1892

Jim, thanks for explanation - artistic preferences are rather subjective and most of us here would shoot same subject completely differently.

Lots of great images on last page - spring is clearly coming
- Wilhelm 35mm renders the old guy very well, loving also the background
- Phil, unluckily you had pretty poor lightning in Venetsia, nice to see 2/35 still managed to bring life to the pictures
- Ronny, the boat shot is really nice, showing 2/35 at it's best
- Johnny, the frontal shot of the rusty firebird is nice - thou I would have shoot it with f/2.2-2.5 range to increase contrast on target and smoothen background (and most likely exposed ~1/3 stop less, at least in post process)

28mm Distagon doesn't seem to be very popular lens. Also I have to admit I don't shoot it very often. It's otherwise nice but due to too small lens barrel (corners too dark and have too much DOF) I can't use it for bokeh shots with larger aperture than f/4. At f/4 bokeh is rather good, but I would hope to be able to use f/2.0-2.8 with this wide lens. Another issue is that this lens makes sensor to do magenta blooming very easily and has quite big CA. But when I manage to go around these issues I really like it's rendering.

At end of March I went out just with 2/28 and 2/35 (I almost always shoot two camera bodies), since during 2013 I want to learn to be better wide angle photographer. This forced me to shoot wide angle (these are wide to me), not sure do I like compositions that much, but hopefully I'm able to improve on those during 2013. At least I have found out that I personally don't like wide angle images, in which camera is tilted to get something into picture. Due to this I try to keep camera on level so that the vertical objects (e.g. trees) in the edges are not leaning towards the center of the image.

#1 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/4, 1/640s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

#2 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/8, 1/160s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

#3 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/4, 1/1250s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

#4 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/2.5, 1/4000s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

#5 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/2.2, 1/4000s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

#6 Carl Zeiss T* 2/28 @ f/4, 1/400s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

Samuli

Jochenb
Total Posts: 2069

Johnny, you got lucky! Seeing the bag still standing there must have been such a relief.

Some of you might remember me selling a lot of my Zeiss ZE lenses? Well, I've only got the 21 and 50P left and was thinking to just quit using a DSLR.
I recently bought the Fuji 14mm (which is great), but it soon reminded me how much I've always loved my 21mm distagon.
Because of this I've decided sell the Fuji kit and don't abandon the DSLR just yet.

21ZE:

Under the pink clouds by Jochen-B, on Flickr

carstenw
Total Posts: 16162

Very nice shot, Jochen. What was it that you prefer about the Zeiss than the Fuji 14? Did you do some comparison photos?

Great results, Samuli. I like this lens very much, and just try not to put anything in the corners which would look bad if a bit dark and unsharp

Ronny Olsson

Thanks !
Great shot Samuli
Great shot Jochen

Rodluvan

50P

1       2       3              840