so waiting for new canon sensor

6D+N50/1.4

nalahm
Total Posts: 247

sharp very nice color and contrast
pure JPG from 6D & TAT 400b

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4698

Nalahm, good to see you still shooting Contax N lenses!
I am hopting to shoot my N85/1.4 on a 5DS R soon!

nalahm

thank you so much wayne seltzer , I tried to sell my contax N many time but I can't when I found nothing to compare with .

Here is 85/1.4 @f/2.8 with 6D tiffen soft filter applied too.

nalahm

red is red
70-200 & 6D

nalahm

so sweet

nehemiahphoto
Total Posts: 589

Hoping someone can help me with some info on the Contax n 85 1.4--I think I came to the right place : )

I am considering picking one up, but I am having a hard time finding info on it. I would be shooting the lens on a a7 and a7rII. Can anyone tell me about fringing, WO sharpness, MFD performance and stopped down, bokeh, color rendinging, etc. I have shot lots of fast portrait lenses, but the Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 85L, Sony Carl Zeiss 85 1.4, or Leica 80 R 1.4 might be a good reference point.

I appreciate the info, I am very curious about this lens!

masimo
Total Posts: 500

I don't have one and haven't shot any of the zeiss 85s but I did read, here I believe, that it is optically the same as the C/Y version(s). They are quite pricy for an orphaned lens.

What would you be shooting it on? There are those converted to canon via Conurus and there is the fringer sony adapter which I just acquired myself and another adapter that supports aperture control only for the sony e mount. Other than that I think you need to use a contax N body. I'm finding the Fringer adapter quite nice on the 50 planar, 100 macro and 400 apo teletessar.

Mike

nehemiahphoto

masimo wrote:
I don't have one and haven't shot any of the zeiss 85s but I did read, here I believe, that it is optically the same as the C/Y version(s). They are quite pricy for an orphaned lens.

What would you be shooting it on? There are those converted to canon via Conurus and there is the fringer sony adapter which I just acquired myself and another adapter that supports aperture control only for the sony e mount. Other than that I think you need to use a contax N body. I'm finding the Fringer adapter quite nice on the 50 planar, 100 macro and 400 apo teletessar.

Mike

Yes, I would be using it on e-mount. I am pretty it's not the same as the CY mount planar--check out the difference in optical formula's of these two sheets:

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/planar1-4_85mm_yashica_e.pdf

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_n/planar1-4_85mm_e.pdf

wayne seltzer

I love my N85/1.4 and I still think it was the best Zeiss 85/1.4 till now the Otus came along. It is totally different design than C/Y 85/1.4 and ZA85/1.4.
It had excellent combination of smooth dreamy bokeh and good sharpness wide open. It is an excellent portrait lens which it is optimised for as it sharpness is better at closer distances rather than infinity and it falls off in the corners. Been very busy lately but hope to shoot it some on my new 5DsR! I used it before on 1ds3.

masimo

Glad you checked my statement. They are very different indeed.

Mike

nalahm

From my little experience, zeiss N85/1.4 has it own character and total difference character from C/Y , ZA and Otus too , due to difference design. At wide open It gives sharp image at center and soft smooth swirling in corner that is what they design for "portrait lens" (look like biotar design upgrade). Yes, it has fringing at wide open please remind that it's not Apo lens.

nehemiahphoto

Can someone direct me to the Kipon adapter I need for electron aperture control on an a7? They don't have it on amazon or eBay, or there website it seems...

masimo

Here's another one with af as well. Looks like Fringer now has competition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-Lens-Adapter-Contax-N-mount-lens-to-Sony-NEX-7-A7-A7r-A7II-A7S-AF-AE-/271941267887?hash=item3f50f671af

I'm pretty sure I saw the kipon listed this morning but it's not there now.

Mike

masimo

Looks like I did see it this morning but the seller took it down:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Electronic-adapter-Control-aperture-for-Contax-N1-lens-to-Sony-NEX-/281745971831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41995e5a77

You can search for sold or completed items which is how I found this.

Mike

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1930

I recently tried shooting RAW video via Magic Lantern with my N85/1.4.
I got wonky results, and errors, I will have to check again, but I hope mine isn't going to start acting up.

nehemiahphoto

I got my Contax N 85--it's absoultey fabulous. More than I was anticipating. However, I am using the Kipon adapter, and it freezes my camera but I don't know why. Happens at all ISO, shutter speeds, aparture--I am going to exchange it and see if I have a defective unit or if it's the adapter. I am just shooting on an A7.

I am finding the color palate to be rich and contrasty, the files very dimensional and smooth. I find the tonal retention ins shadows and highlight tremendous. I was worried about the lens' sharpness, but absolutely no issues at all (for me). To me the only 85 that really compares is the Leica R 80 1.4 I owned.

Here's a couple...just waiting for my new adapter so I can shoot it for more than a day.

wayne seltzer

Looking good Nehemiah!
Hope you get your new adapter soon!

sculptormic
Total Posts: 2351

Some withe Contax N 70-200 and 24-85 ( x post from A7 thread )

1       2       3              71      
       73       74       end