40D & Sandisk ExtremeIII problems?
/forum/topic/649236/0

2       3       end

DaveWatts
Total Posts: 32

New 40D and Sandisk Extreme III 4GB card, formatted in the camera. Firmware 1.0.8 (newest). The file system on the camera is set to Continuous.

I get this error message upon start...

"! Cannot create folder" on the rear LCD and "Full" blinking on the top LCD status panel.

Shoot some shots (less than 90). Turn camera off. Replace the battery. Turn camera back on. Then the above message occurs. Defective camera? Defective card? 40D can't work well with Sandisk ExtremeIII cards?

A 4 year old 512MB Ultra II card doesn't produce the problem.

Anyone else have this issue or can re-create it? Thanks!

k1n3t1k
Total Posts: 952

Where did you purchase your Extreme III card? Is it authentic? Have you tried formatting the card in your computer first?

I have 42GB of SD EXT3 media and have not experienced any problems in my 30D and 1DMK3.

I must say, I did have some problems with a 4GB Ultra II once upon a time. It was a version that had a switch to go between a full 4GB partition or 2x2GB 'sides'. My 300D and 30D just did not like the card so I got a EXT3 edition. Problem went away.

Best of luck,
~Travis

DaveWatts

B&H on both. I don't format cards in my computer - always in the camera, as suggested by Canon. I also tried re-formatting the same card again. No joy. But Ultra II's (2GB) seem to work OK.

Rockies Photo
Total Posts: 872

I know you said you don't do it, but try formatting your card in the computer. It does not hurt anything. I have 24GB of E3 Media, and format all of them both on the computer and the bodies. Formatting on your computer will not hurt the media or your camera.

dagr
Total Posts: 78

I use Extreme III cards in my 40D. No problems. Formatting and checking the card in a computer is a good suggestion. You can always reformat the card in the camera afterward.

Andy Witkowski
Total Posts: 164

I use a Sandisk extremem III 16GB card in the 40D with no problems, format both in camera and in computer. I would send it back.

Thats Fresh
Total Posts: 2607

yea same here. i shoot with plenty of 4gb X III in my 40D's, 20D's. no error. id definitely send it back before its too late..

Esquire08
Total Posts: 625

Send it back and don't overpay--get Transcend with a lifetime warranty.

jchin
Total Posts: 2696

I have several SanDisk Extreme III cards (4GB and 8GB) and use them in my 40D without any problems. I do, however, format them on my Windows XP computer in a Command Prompt window. I use the following command:
FORMAT x: /A:32K
where "x:" is the drive letter of the CF card.

You may want to try and reformat the card on the computer using this command:
FORMAT x: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /U

yauyi
Total Posts: 786

I have 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB Extreme III all work fine on my 40D.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11506

If there's an issue with one card, and not another I'm inclined to believe the card is toast.

I suggest returning it and getting a new one. I don't know that a defective card could mess up something in a camera, but if it was my luck somehow my card would manage to format my camera, my computer, and my phone.

DaveWatts

OK, thanks for all the suggestions. While computer reformat might just make it work, that won't help me in the field. I will call B&H tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'm inclined to believe there's something fishy with the card.

silverh
Total Posts: 110

I have 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB Extreme III all work fine on my 40D.

Me too...

DaveWatts

RA# given today at B&H. While their phone menu is annoying, I got great help and fast with no questions asked. New card on the way immediately (no shipping) and the fubar card is going back with free return shipping.

I'm hoping this solves it. Again, thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

DaveWatts

Called B&H after the new card came today, since another new Extreme III still didn't work properly. B&H said it wan't their problem and to send the camera in to Canon Service. They didn't want to try to recreate the situation. That's thew first bad B&H experience I've ever had with them.

Instead of immediately sending the camera back or arranging a service with Canon, I called Canon in NY. We tried to do a hard reset, but the CR2012 battery holder wouldn't budge and is frozen in place. That would be another 40D problem down the road for me.... Hmmmmm.

Tried changing the 40D file numbering from continuous to automatic/manual. Didn't fix it. Also tried formating the cards in the 20D. Nope.

Now it works.
It wasn't the card after all.

So it seems that my Tamron lens causes this. My 2 Canon lenses work fine with the Extreme III and 40D. Canon blames the lens - and my tests with changing cards, lenses, reformatting, etc., seem to back that up.

Lesson.... Tamron 28-75 is not compatible with the 40D and Extreme III cards in combination.

There is another workaround I figured out by accident; to change out the camera battery while the camera is turned on - not the best plan.

Edited by DaveWatts on May 30, 2008 at 05:38 PM GMT

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11506

I use the Sandisk Extreme III cards, and Ultra II, 2-4Gb in both my 30D and 40D, and they work fine.

Sucks that it won't work with the Tamron lens. Just lets you know how finicky electronics can be.

wing tong
Total Posts: 3986

You're probably right in your findings...but I think Canon's knee-jerk reaction is always to blame the lens if it is not one of theirs. As someone who plays in the tech-world alot I also have a difficult time visualizing how a lens can affect how a card is read or not read. At worst, an incompatible lens should just not work. But glad to hear you got this resolved...or did you?

DaveWatts

wing tong wrote:
You're probably right in your findings...but I think Canon's knee-jerk reaction is always to blame the lens if it is not one of theirs. As someone who plays in the tech-world alot I also have a difficult time visualizing how a lens can affect how a card is read or not read. At worst, an incompatible lens should just not work. But glad to hear you got this resolved...or did you?

I can shoot now after I change a battery. I just can't turn the camera off first unless I use one of my old Ultra II cards or shoot with a Canon lens.

And for the life of me I can't figure why the Tammy affects file folders on a card or card access. Just doesn't make sense. But that is the way it is.

PetKal
Total Posts: 24075

I've had "Cannot create folder" message on my 40D only once so far, using the Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb card. Turned the camera off, removed the card, reinserted it and then it was OK.
Initially I had formatted the card on camera only.
The card has worked OK on my 1DMkIIN.

thehawkins
Total Posts: 550

I had a Sandisk 8gb Extreme III die on me in Egypt - I only lost 4 photos out of 400, which still pissed me off.

Maybe there's some quality control issues on Sandisk's end (was yours a brand new one?)

2       3       end