Many thanks
Niall

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

stevez wrote:
Wrei wrote:
stevez wrote:
Glenn Watson wrote:
Closeup of the Gen III helmet....$350k i think?

But what's with the huge font for the pilot and crew chief? And I've never seen a "Mr." On the side of a gray jet before...

Mr. would designate Hemo as a civilian. Since it is flown by LM test pilot, they may still designate the font size.

To find out what impresses fighter pilots about the F-35, DefenceToday asked Lockheed Martin test pilot, Elliot ‘Hemo’ Clemence, to explain what it’s like to fly the F-35, and compare its capability with legacy fighter aircraft. ‘Hemo’ is well qualified to comment, even though he wears a Lockheed Martin flying suit, having spent most of his flying career as a US Navy test pilot flying F/A-18 Hornets, including missions off aircraft carriers in combat operations over Iraq and Afghanistan, and as a aggressor pilot for the US Air Force. He has also flown Super Hornets, and was one of the first pilots to fly Australia’s Super Hornets off the production line.

Thanks for the info, Wrei. And what did Hemo have to say about the F-35?

"‘Hemo’ regards the F-35 as a cut above the rest of 4th Generation aircraft, and he contends that if Australia wants to maintain interoperability with 5th Generation aircraft such as F-22 ‘Raptor’, and other nations’ F-35s, then it needs to “step up to the next level with its own F-35s.”"

(I couldn't load the full article.)

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

futurshox wrote:
Well, he posted 335mph in that race! So; probably... Says the gear doors pop open above 250 (he's on that case), and apparently he can't use all the power in his engine or the blade tips will cavitate... so there's probably more in the hat, but how much is anyone's guess.

Nice carrier shots! Got more? I bet you do...

That may seem fast, but the naturally aspirated good old fashioned piston engine Lancairs, with twin turbos are much faster at Reno.

It does look very cool though.

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1262

Weri,

‘Hemo’ regards the F-35 as a cut above the rest of 4th Generation aircraft, and he contends that if Australia wants to maintain interoperability with 5th Generation aircraft such as F-22 ‘Raptor’, and other nations’ F-35s, then it needs to “step up to the next level with its own F-35s.”"

(I couldn't load the full article.)

must be an old article
This is from the RAAF website..

Australia has committed to 72 F-35A aircraft for three operational squadrons at RAAF Base Williamtown and RAAF Base Tindal, and a training squadron at RAAF Base Williamtown.

In the future, a fourth operational squadron will be considered for RAAF Base Amberley, for a total of 100 F-35As.

regards

Wrei

^^^That is great...and good for my Lockheed Martin retirement and stocks!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4094

This is a photo from the guy who cleaned and calibrated my gear .
Sometimes he share's photo's from sensors that were cleaned by customers and didn't succeed so there last resort is to come to him and let it get cleaned professionally.
Most of time he is successful in cleaning the camera.
But this time there was nothing more to save for the customer so it is going to be a very expensive day for the customer..

Camera in question is a Nikon D3 which is no longer in production so I hope for the customer that there are still some sensors left in stock

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Wow, J-A if he prints that on a big canvas, I bet someone will buy it and hang it in their living room.

Mark

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Jim,
any news on that Vette in LA?

Gero

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

Glenn Watson wrote:Loaded up onto a Cod with about 20 other media folks and launched outta Norfolk NAS about 100 miles off coast picked up the IKE and made a arrested landing. Pretty cool.....

Understatement?

Then we loaded back on the COD for a catapult off the ship and THAT was awesome. 0-149 knots in 3 seconds - very violent and kickass! I have GoPro of all of it to share soon. What a rush!

Glenn

There it is...lol

Awesome stuff Glenn! I'd love to see the shipboard action one day...must be amazing.

Zane Adams

Living and working in the Fort Worth area, I've been fortunate to see quite a few F-35's.

I think it's a cool looking airplane.

Spotted this one today.... Norway's first jet, followed by the company plane.

Zane Adams

Also...went to the Great State Fair of Texas last Friday night on a rare outing with the boy (he's got a decent job and his own place now...love/hate relationship with that situation... ) and my tripod.

Fun to walk the midway on a cool evening.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Goofing off in Photoshop. I wish I could create this kind of thing with a real brush and canvas.

Erich

johnahill
Total Posts: 3390

Niall I'll happily recommend Feisol.
They have some great tripods.

I've been carting one of their smaller tripods around for a few yars now, I managed to take a big chunk out of the casting that forms the top of the legs and broke the leg angle selector.
I contacted Feisol and even though the tripod was many years old they fixed it for free.

Personally I'd buy directly from Feisol.com as the uk site adds on their cut plus EU taxes.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

Hi Gero,

Yes, I'm trying to get out there to look at it in person. Thought that I might have a day this week but so far it's been three days shooting with an ad agency, and two days of annual report work, aerials Saturday followed by 6 days of architectural work, followed by a 7 am flight to SC for an assignment, then back to Dallas for a three day shoot........whew!

Wrei

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Gero,

Yes, I'm trying to get out there to look at it in person. Thought that I might have a day this week but so far it's been three days shooting with an ad agency, and two days of annual report work, aerials Saturday followed by 6 days of architectural work, followed by a 7 am flight to SC for an assignment, then back to Dallas for a three day shoot........whew!

Remember when men worked in that environment without the protective gear, only goggles and gloves?

JWilsonphoto

My tripod was so hot that I couldn't pick it up and move it from that location without wrapping it.

JWilsonphoto

Deb Hale sent me this shot yesterday, which reminded me I have five hours of video to edit

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Gero,

Jim,
sounds like a walk in the park for you

You might want to buy a one way ticket to LA and have a nice drive home

Gero

JWilsonphoto

That might be just what I need Gero! I'm used to a pretty rigorous schedule but 2014/2015 have been far beyond anything I have experienced in my career, both in terms of existing client assignments and new clients brought aboard.

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 3766

Spit MkXVIII and Guard

Spitfire Guard by Ian Boys, on Flickr

1       2       3              4269      
       4271              4531       4532       end