Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4261

1       2       3              4261      
       4263              4345       4346       end

KJindaUK
Total Posts: 613

Love my 80-400, such a versatile lens and superb quality for a long zoom. Fitted everything I needed for two weeks in Hawaii into a TT Urban Disguise. Pretty much the perfect travelling lens alongside the 24-120! This was shot on the Reagan using the 80-400 about two weeks ago.

Cheers,
Kev

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

Well Kevin! You've been holding out on us!! Nicely done! What bodies are you shooting these days?

KJindaUK
Total Posts: 613

Thanks Jim, the light sucked that day, high overcast, so flat as a pancake! Main camera bod is the D800, I've learnt to live without the speed of the D3/D4 now in favour of having those huge RAW files to play with. The 80-400 isn't perfect but it does a good job.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

JWilsonphoto wrote:
So you guys are pleased with the 80-400 performance? If it's as good as a good copy of the Canon 100-400, it would certainly be worth the investment.

Put the Upstrap on the D810 yesterday, so I'm getting close. Really Right Stuff has just released the adapter plate, with the right angle adapter to follow soon.

Zim, I haven't really followed it, but apparently there has been an ongoing conversation re: the D800 clunky mirror and slight unsharp condition due to vibration. I guess that's exactly what we chased around early in the game. Apparently they sought to address that in the D810.

Yes, Jim, I've read all that stuff recently and thought of the phone conversation you and I had a couple of years ago, puzzling over the subtle sharpness issues you were seeing early on with the D800. The D810's mirror/shutter noise is markedly different and quieter than the D800's. Plus it's got an electronic first-curtain shutter setting you can use, with mirror lockup, to completely eliminate internal vibrations for the most finicky shooting scenarios.

I've been playing with the D810's area autofocus (spot on!) and the Auto-ISO feature as it relates to airshow photography. In manual mode, for instance, you can set both shutter speed and aperture, and then let Auto-ISO pick your sensitivity in changeable lighting conditions. With the D810's native minimum ISO of 64, it's now possible to use, say, 1/200sec at f/8 or f/11 and avoid the really tiny apertures without resorting to ND filters. You can also set the D810 to invoke the 1/focal length rule for minimum shutter speed. That doesn't sound very useful for shooting props at 500mm (who shoots props at 1/500 sec?), but you can also bias the rule a full two stops plus or minus, so that you can use shutter speeds down to 1/125 sec with a 500mm lens, turn on Auto-ISO, and still be protected if the light gets so bad that the camera can't maintain the desired EV at the max selected ISO, at which point it will bump the shutter speed up as necessary.

Lots to play with...

stevezzzz

KJindaUK wrote:
Thanks Jim, the light sucked that day, high overcast, so flat as a pancake! Main camera bod is the D800, I've learnt to live without the speed of the D3/D4 now in favour of having those huge RAW files to play with. The 80-400 isn't perfect but it does a good job.

Man, that's a great result under marginal lighting, Kev. I hope you get a chance to upgrade to the D810 at some point. The D800 is already an amazing studio/landscape/architectural camera, but with the better AF, bigger buffer and higher frame rate, plus DX mode (and RAWs), the D810 is also a pretty fair sports/action body. When you need studio quality you just go with FF and RAW; but with a fast CF card you can shoot DX RAW frames at 4800x3200 at 6fps, for as long as you care to hold down the shutter button (I think there's a 100-frame limit). Sports/action chops and studio quality in the same camera: quite an achievement.

dtw757
Total Posts: 112

305 by stuart.mike, on Flickr]Another 810/80-400 combo from our cloudy morning[/url]

JWilsonphoto

Doesn't get much sharper than that!

Razor17
Total Posts: 336

Not so Brilliant...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/drone-goes-down-into-famed-yellowstone-national-park-hot-spring/

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4547

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Jay, what did you use to capture that head on perspective?

EF 300mm f/2.8L IS @ f/3.5

stevezzzz

I just uploaded a video-stabilized version of last week's motorglider video to my website. It's a lot easier to watch: the airplane bounces around in the frame instead of the scenery...

http://www.stevezphoto.us/aerial/h12dc75fd#h12dc75fd

JWilsonphoto

Razor17 wrote:
Not so Brilliant...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/drone-goes-down-into-famed-yellowstone-national-park-hot-spring/

You just can't fix stupid can you?

JWilsonphoto

First D810 capture ...............

JWilsonphoto

Second D810 capture............

JWilsonphoto

As the guys have mentioned, it's a much smoother piece of equipment. Looking forward to getting to know it. Tip of the hat to Nikon..........again.

USM IS
Total Posts: 1249

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Man Jim, that is NICE!

Mike

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Mike! I was setting a few more parameters in the 810 at HQ, and Charlie was sitting on the couch looking out the door. You know, Old Masters north light kind of thing Then I left and that pop up t-storm was brewing and I kinda liked it, so I hopped out and grabbed a couple of frames. I think I'm going to like the 810's and I know my clients will. I can't believe Nikon hasn't got this priced higher, but I'm not tellin'!

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2105

I imagine that most of us here have seen the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute's Shark Cam footage, but for those who haven't, here it is.

http://www.viralnova.com/great-white-shark-attack/

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

You guys posting those D810 photos make me want to go out and get one and a couple of the lenses...then I come to my sense and remember you guys also have a lot of skill, technique and experience...Oh well!

(Just because I haven't posted a photo in a long time.)

JWilsonphoto

I've decided to sell my Canon XHA1 video camera in case anyone would like to have a great HD/mini DV format camcorder. My guess is I'll end up sending it to B&H for their used dept. It's in good shape, low use, and is still a respected video tool in the industry, just doesn't fit my current needs and will sit on a shelf if I don't do something with it. Looks like B&H will come in around $600, then sell it for $1,000.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 774

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Jim, very nice . that new cam looks to have it's feet under the table in short order. Oh, and what breed is Charlie, please?

1       2       3              4261      
       4263              4345       4346       end