Talking of weather - A couple of captures in Brittany, France

The storm that never was.
(NIK Silver Efex)

Sea mist through the trees - Early morning
(NIK Silver Efex)

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

This one was on the Guernsey Island (Channel Islands) August 2015

1926 Bugatti with the registration plate to match.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Donald Gray wrote:

That is some "positive camber" on the Bugatti front end!

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 3766

Memophis Belle / Sally B - the last flying B-17 in Europe.

Memphis Belle / Sally B by Ian Boys, on Flickr

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Stuck here in the Atlanta airport, so a quick bad laptop edit from yesterday. I have always said I love shooting in the rain, but three straight days of it was a bit much.

far148
Total Posts: 127

Less politics and more Corsairs!!!
Always...Always Sexy in Blues

Steven L

Wrei

Well, excuse me far148.

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Tim Adams wrote:
Stuck here in the Atlanta airport, so a quick bad laptop edit from yesterday. I have always said I love shooting in the rain, but three straight days of it was a bit much.

Tim,
nice shot and nice quick bad laptop edit What Chevy is that - is it based on the Corvette?

Gero

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Welcome Ian nice details on Sally B always love too see her flying...

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2453

Had a glorious day with weather to match at Shuttleworth today Apart from the "Edwardians" which flew at the end and the first outing for the Bristol Scout of Great War vintage (at least the joystick, magneto and one other small part are original) the highpoint was the last ever flying appearance of the mighty Vulcan So here are a couple for Zimm

Tim Adams

In no way at all is it based on a Corvette. Just crap body work over a crap chassis that thankfully will no longer exist after next season. The real Corvette based cars are the two yellow Vettes that run in GTLM, or GT Le Mans. In fact Corvette won the GT Pro class at Le Mans this year.

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Thanks Tim.

Tim Adams

Another quick one from the crazy Thursday night practice. Shooting a 500mm in the dark is very interesting.

Donald Gray

Wrei wrote:
Donald Gray wrote:

I am not an auto mechanic, so don't understand the mechanics behind positive camber - summut to do with road holding, I guess... However , look at that paraplegic sportsmen/women - their racing/sports wheel chair has negative camber for supreme 'road holding'''

Wrei

Donald Gray wrote:
Wrei wrote:
Donald Gray wrote:

I am not an auto mechanic, so don't understand the mechanics behind positive camber - summut to do with road holding, I guess... However , look at that paraplegic sportsmen/women - their racing/sports wheel chair has negative camber for supreme 'road holding'''

Positive Camber:

Off-road vehicles such as agricultural tractors generally use positive camber. In such vehicles, the positive camber angle helps to achieve a lower steering effort. Also, some single-engined general aviation aircraft that are primarily meant to operate from unimproved surfaces, such as bush planes and cropdusters, have their taildragger gear's main wheels equipped with positive-cambered main wheels to better handle the deflection of the landing gear, as the aircraft settles on rough, unpaved airstrips.

Negative Camber:

Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a better angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. The inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground if the tire had zero camber, reducing the area of the contact patch. This effect is compensated for by applying negative camber, maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber.

Zero Camber:

On the other hand, for maximum straight-line acceleration, the greatest traction will be attained when the camber angle is zero and the tread is flat on the road.

Donald Gray

nrferguson wrote:
Had a glorious day with weather to match at Shuttleworth today Apart from the "Edwardians" which flew at the end and the first outing for the Bristol Scout of Great War vintage (at least the joystick, magneto and one other small part are original) the highpoint was the last ever flying appearance of the mighty Vulcan So here are a couple for Zimm

The grand old girl has given good service. Then thrilled many hundreds of thousands of aviation enthusiasts at air shows over the years...

It is with real sadness to know that after this show season she will fly no longer. The old girls is closing down her engines and going into retirement as an exhibit.

Thank you Mighty Vulcan - I will miss you at the shows. You were always at the top of my wanted list. Happy memories.

Donald Gray

Wrei wrote:
Donald Gray wrote:
Wrei wrote:
Donald Gray wrote:

Positive Camber:

Off-road vehicles such as agricultural tractors generally use positive camber. In such vehicles, the positive camber angle helps to achieve a lower steering effort. Also, some single-engined general aviation aircraft that are primarily meant to operate from unimproved surfaces, such as bush planes and cropdusters, have their taildragger gear's main wheels equipped with positive-cambered main wheels to better handle the deflection of the landing gear, as the aircraft settles on rough, unpaved airstrips.

Negative Camber:

Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a better angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. The inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground if the tire had zero camber, reducing the area of the contact patch. This effect is compensated for by applying negative camber, maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber.

Zero Camber:

On the other hand, for maximum straight-line acceleration, the greatest traction will be attained when the camber angle is zero and the tread is flat on the road.

Thanks for the tutorial - I have often wondered ... Then there is the question of toe in & toe out...

Wrei

And castor! Don't forget castor!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Great short Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=92&v=xfKdi0svp9g
To bad only music no spoken words but it made me smile so that's always a good thing...

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4122

And camber !

1       2       3              4261      
       4263              4533       4534       end