Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4260

1       2       3              4260      
       4262              4533       4534       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19270

So many memories Donald! I had forgotten my first 4x5 architectural shoot, the one where I seemed to mis-interpret the orientation of the film notch, thereby shooting the entire assignment through the back of the emulsion! Dust, static discharge exposing the film during the winter, numbering the holders, the corresponding job bags at the lab, adding a cooler to all the gear I had to haul during the warm months. No telling how many Coleman coolers I left around the country as I headed for my flight home.

The thought of going thousands of miles to shoot an assignment, shooting for a week and relying on gut feel and crummy Polaroid facsimilies as exposure guides, sends chills up my spine, but we did it thousands of times. And Donald, how about working with media that had an exposure latitude of a half a stop?! All of this plus the rigors of walking two miles to school, uphill both ways! That's when men were men..................

Occasionally, late at night when I have fallen asleep Photoshopping and my twitching hand has opened a dozen windows on my screen, I long for the night film drop at the lab, but then I recall what we're talking about here. "The good old days........" in most cases, are a figment of ones imagination.

JWilsonphoto

I wouldn't trade my D810's for anything, well maybe the D810 MK II , but it eats memory cards and batteries like there's no tomorrow. Connect the CamRanger to it and it's like the gas gauge on a 427 Corvette, you can watch the needle drop. Oh the rigors of modern day photography............NOT!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Zim,

Chili has a number of pairs of state of the art shades, just didn't have them for that pic. The answer on the Batmobile is "No!" we need a vehicle that has zero safety features, tops out at 130 and does the benchmark 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, like we need a hole in the head. JR and Chandler voted against me, but much like Washington, I chose to ignore the will of the people...............

I have diverted those funds toward the sales tax on my Aston and We'll get an expanded capacity tug of some sort that has the capability of pulling a PC12/Phenom 300 out of it's nest.

Good call on the Batmobile, Jim, unpopular though the decision may have been. Chandler's descendants thank you in advance.

So, when do you make the trip to KBJC to visit the completion center? We're ready and willing to roll out the red carpet...

stevezzzz

Jan-Arie wrote:
Wrei wrote:
Wait, they are making improvements at Mildenhall? I can assure you that is a sure sign the US DoD will move out. We were always afraid when new construction happened on our base. It was a sure sign we were losing a mission...and we would!

Maybe your quite right there Ray don't know if Mildenhall stays an airfield if they go away shame really because you had some great viewing points

Osprey in the Rain

Ooh, the rain adds a beautiful texture to that first one, J-A!

And your Hurricane shot is gorgeous...

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Donald Gray wrote:

How would you cope with: no computers, no digital databases (only pens & paper) No CF/SD cards. No Hard drives. No internet. No cloud storage. No high def monitors other than the Mk1 eyeball.... and NO PHOTOSHOP! Photoshop was not even a wink in Adobe's father!

No thank you! When I look at older photos I am amazed at what people were able to capture. Then again, I suspect in 30 years they'll be saying the same thing about us now.

Erich

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Very cool stuff, especially for space photography and Hasselblad fans.

NASA press release: "Space fans, rejoice: today, just about every image captured by Apollo astronauts on lunar missions is now on - www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/. There are some 8,400 photographs in all at a resolution of 1800 dpi, and they're sorted by the roll of film they were on".

EDIT FOR TOPP:

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 723

Returning to Base - 2015 Christopher Buff, www.Aviationbuff.com. Had a great media ride with the Geico Skytypers. The weather was pretty lousy but the SNJ flight was awesome!

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

A wet and dull day at Agusta-Westlands in Yeovil, Somerset, England

As the grain shows, I pushed the post hard to get anything out of the poor conditions - (plus I under exposed them but what the heck, I like 'em!)

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Bristol Blenheim

Donald Gray

The old 'String Bag'.
We salute you!

(Silver Efex & colour popped.)

Donald Gray

Sorry for the huge size - the originals are 2048 px wide. URL copied from my facebook pages I Dunno why the appear huge. Even on my UHD monitor!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Hurricane LF363 (Mk IIc)
Spitfire Mk IIa The Eagle Squadron

JWilsonphoto

Hope all of our Texas family got to enjoy this incredible day! Chandler and I began it with a Cub mission and a few grass take offs and landings out at Stewart Dawson's idyllic little spot.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hope all of our Texas family got to enjoy this incredible day! Chandler and I began it with a Cub mission and a few grass take offs and landings out at Stewart Dawson's idyllic little spot.

No flying for me: upslope had us socked in most of the day, but I'll take the cool fall weather.

Here's the end of another day recently...

JWilsonphoto

The composition and post processing is simply wonderful!

JWilsonphoto

My new Colorado client is working on a shot list, but at this rate the dominant color will be white before they get it to me.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

Glenn Watson wrote:
600 images on a 32 gig card - are you running compression? I have my D810 set for 14 bit uncompressed files and I get ~380 images on 32gb. Is the lossless compression worth turning on?

Yes. It won't hurt your frame rate, "lossless" means the compression is mathematically perfect and your image quality is identical, and the file size gets cut down by a little over a third. I think I used to get about 550-580 14-bit lossless-compressed shots onto a 32GB card.

Rodolfo Paiz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Well Ray, we're probably closing up shop there because Putin is taking the lead around the world while the US displays an ever strengthening image of weakness. It's no coincidence that the world is coming unglued with all these bad actors,. When the US is perceived as a paper tiger, and these days that would be an improvement, there's no shortage of despots that are just itching to poke the corpse.

It's nowhere near as bad as that, Jim. The United States still spends more on their armed forces than the next five countries combined, based on the last data I saw. I'll note that its armed forces are still better suited to fighting Iraq's army, or the Soviets, than they are to fighting counterinsurgency or counterterrorism mission profiles... but there is nothing toothless or paper-like about the U.S. armed forces. Nor, overall, is the United States as a country / military leadership any less respected around the world.

Note: the following is entirely my own opinion and interpretation of world geopolitics, and I'm entirely happy to entertain different viewpoints if someone has them. Feel free to disagree and let's have a conversation about it. No political slant is perceived or intended in any of this, I just find geopolitical diplomacy (verbal or military) fascinating.

There are two caveats to that first paragraph above:

First, I do believe that significant mistakes have been made in the command of those forces, and in the decisions to use them or not, during the past 10-15 years that have weakened your country's standing. Going into Iraq was a Republican mistake, especially since it was done for all the wrong reasons and based on bad intel. Getting out of Iraq was a Democratic mistake, because it made no military sense whatsoever. And not making sure that he had the political consensus to follow through on the chemical-weapons ultimatum Obama issued to Assad was a personal screwup that echoed far and wide, because his failure to follow through on that threat really did destabilize the region a little bit more.

But second, and this is the important part, I think the biggest pressure felt in Washington is that of most of the country's voters, who simply do not want to see more bodies coming home. They don't understand the importance of a functioning, semi-stable Middle East to the overall world order, and they want to get out of Iraq/Afghanistan just as badly as they want to stay out of Libya, Syria, Ukraine, and others. Most of what you're seeing is, I think, really a function of that voter perception. Regardless of who wins the 2016 election, or even in the hypothetical case that the Republican party had been in power at this time, neither one would have, nor will, go into Ukraine... they'd get skewered by their own people at home.

The USA needs (IMHO) to bolster NATO and be more active in world leadership. It needs to strike a better balance: to provide more leadership and more force than the Democrats have been willing to put forth, but with less of the aggressiveness and reckless disregard for the opinions of other allied countries than the Republicans showed. The US needs to continue being a leader, but without trying to be the only leader or acting unilaterally. In fact, the decisions made about how to throw around the still-world's-best might of the U.S. military machine need to show less polarization and less extreme behavior: the same thing I'd say about most of the U.S. political decisions today.

The ever-growing left-right polarization of both your people and your government is your biggest, most dangerous enemy, bar none.

Rodolfo Paiz

JWilsonphoto wrote:

I'm getting all different kinds of weather these days. Florida was hot, humid, and getting heavily rained on. Then I had a couple of days in Washington D.C. and Virginia, which were coldish (50F) and with constant light rain. Today I have a gorgeous cool (65F) day in London, but the next few days are supposed to get colder and rainier. Then on Friday I'll be back in Miami.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

The United States still spends more on their armed forces than the next five countries combined, based on the last data I saw.

Does this analysis take into account over 25% of the DoD budget is for pay and benefits for personnel and retirees? Veterans health benefits have risen over 55% since 9-11. The concern for the military is not always "how much" is spent on the military, moreover, it is "how" that money is spent. Military grunts know most of the military dollars are assigned to congressional wants, not what the military wants. During the Carter years, I saw aircraft sitting on the 'back row' being canabilized for parts because we couldn't get them from the normal logistic supply process; they were underfunded. I read where, during the Bosnian/Croatia conflict, we had to send more aircraft to the region...to be used for parts because they were not available. I have read where some units have to stop flying and training because their unit has exhausted their sortie/flying hour allotment.

Bottom line, you can have a trillion dollar defense budget, but if it is being spent in the wrong place, you have a poorly funded defense. That is what is happening now. The serious outcome is a military that is no longer motivated or feels the support for their mission.

Because of my retirement, I read articles every day where the current administration is trying to cut my benefits and have successfully raised my cost of healthcare. They continue to try to increase my cost as we speak.

Ray

1       2       3              4260      
       4262              4533       4534       end