Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4249

1       2       3              4249      
       4251              4344       4345       end

futurshox
Total Posts: 2415

Pipistrel seem to be asking for trouble; naming their aeroplanes 'virus' and 'sinus'; just asking for their pilots to come down with a cold if you ask me...

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

It is an odd marketing strategy for sure. I'm holding out for the "Hemorrhoid" ..........................

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

Those wacky Slovenians...

JWilsonphoto

Their naming abilities appear a bit challenged, but it seems like they know how to put out some cool aircraft!

JWilsonphoto

Chandler and I put yet another residential project behind us today. Had a short meeting with an existing client who told me to expect another 30 projects to be added to my schedule between now and the close of 2014. Oh to be 25 again!

JWilsonphoto

Wow! Just read through my email from today and it looks like I have two new projects in Houston, three in Austin, a hush hush commercial project and four projects in northern Florida. Sheesh! If Chandler didn't have to go back to school in the fall, he'd be in the chips!

I'm going to hate that for a number of reasons, but one of them is the sweet sound of all my gear being put into it's proper place.......by someone else! My assistant had everything packed up and at the curb while I was meeting with my client getting 30 more projects. He earned a bonus today!

USM IS
Total Posts: 1249

A Sea Fury powered by a Yamaha moped engine

JETS- ever since I got buzzed by the RC F-15 at a actual 182mph, I can't track them anymore!

Looks like the real thing heading over the English fields to see Adolf! To get four of those motors to pull evenly..........pure artistry' And I even managed discs!

Mike

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3068

Pretty cool looking airplanes those are Steve. Pipestrel could definitely stand to upgrade their website photo gallery!

Too bad we dont know anybody with a Pipestrel, a Bonanza, and one of the really good cameras to help them out!

Glenn
ps - did you sell your Remos?

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1726

JWilsonphoto wrote:
It is an odd marketing strategy for sure. I'm holding out for the "Hemorrhoid" ..........................

They may well sell piles of them!
Niall

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1726

Going back over some old images with Silver EfexPro and quite liked this:

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

My first attempt at shooting air-to-air from the Pipistrel Virus SWiS. I removed the door for this mission; the subject is the Pipistrel Sinus Flex in which I have a partnership interest. The subject pilot was a high-time ATP but has no formation experience, so he gamely tried a loose echelon for me. I had 20 seconds on target, shooting backwards over my shoulder with the GH4's view screen flipped around so I could frame the shot. It's a start...

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 73

Any of you Nikon shooters have any experience with the 16-35 f4 VR? I understand the distortion can be tough below 20mm but is otherwise a sharp lens (according to all those online reviewers). I am looking at this for interior architecture. The 24 PC-E is on the wish list as well but I am not sure I am ready for that one just yet

ELinder
Total Posts: 511

I'm trying to decide myself between that one and the 14-24mm f/2.8G. By all accounts it's sharp everywhere, but costs a lot more. I thought about the PC-E, but either one of the zooms would be much more versatile.

Erich

JWilsonphoto

Hi Billy (the artist formerly known as Geaux....,

I have read that it's the sharpest wide angle zoom in existence, but have no first hand knowledge. I'm not a big fan of architectural shooting with non/TS/PC lenses, but fully realize that I am spoiled beyond repair by my gear bag. The problem with using a wide to wider zoom to shoot architecture, particularly interior architecture, is that they stretch elements in the composition. The 17 T/S stretches and and has a tiny bit of barrel distortion, but lenses like the 16-35, in my opinion exacerbate those tendencies because they are not designed specifically for architecture. Even the 24 PC/E will stretch and keystone if the photographer isn't very sensitive to camera positioning relative to the interior elements.

So, you now have my excruciatingly picky opinion on glass for architecture and we will re-enter the world of financially reality. Some of what I alluded to above can be corrected in post using tools in LR, Photoshop and, if you have it, DXO Pro. Peripheral sharpness weaknesses really can't, but it doesn't appear that this lens suffers from that. The challenge that everyone faces, and I did way back when I didn't have a pot............, or a window to throw it out of, is that you only get one opportunity to impress a client with your work. Architects and designers are the most exacting clients on earth. If you want to build a client base in those fields, they'll spot the work of a compromise lens in a heartbeat.

It occurs to me that I may have just bored you to tears with this analysis, because all you want to do is have a nice wide/wider zoom that you can bang around with and shoot an interior now and then. If that is the case, please forgive me and carry on with your plan

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 774

I now realise that the original text posted here was inappropriate and insensitive. Please accept my humble apologies. Picking up on the contemporary architecture theme – here is a sample from Scotland. Well, it was contemporary in about 1200 – according to the plaque.

The wooden stair is a “latter addition”.

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 73

Erich,
I have looked at the 14-24 as well and it is defiantly tough to decide between that and the 16-35!

Jim,
You can add prophet to your business card (just use small font)!
I am trying to rationalize away the thought that I should bite the bullet and get the purpose built architecture lens and you are not helping . I am not a professional photographer (unlike you and others in this thread) but like have designs to move that way in the near future. The fiscally responsible side says get something that can be used for multiple purposes and sold rather easily if need be. The aggressive, quit leaving yourself an escape route, don't ever compromise your integrity, perfectionist side says bite the bullet and buy the $2,000 PC-E lens or you will always wonder if it mattered!

Well this turned into a psychology lesson rather quickly! I guess if it were easy everyone would do it and be good at it. Your answer was immensely useful and not boring at all - the bad thing is I had a good idea what your answer would be and I asked anyway...

Thanks all.

JWilsonphoto

My able assistant got a short course in photographic diplomacy today. We were on a project that required the utmost in discretion, and some stealthy dancing around any semblance of cold hard facts. Many times in the commercial real estate market, a photographer will find themselves in a situation where they are asked to photograph a project that is changing hands, but none of the existing players know that it is changing hands, nor do any of the potential suiters want anyone to know what is in the works. So, what the photographer is faced with is showing up at a project to shoot it inside and out, without being able to tell anyone who they are shooting for, why they are shooting, what will be done with the shots, or an other salient facts that the existing players naturally would like to know before they grant anyone access. Re-read that last sentence and feel my pain. Especially in this day of heightened security, Geraldo style news gathering, and rampant litigiousness, you can just imagine the creative dance that is required. Makes getting across the snow fence at a major air show a walk in the park.

The nice thing is, there's only a handful of people who can pull all that off, every time, and get the shots they want after all the BS has been applied, so a covert surcharge applies

JWilsonphoto

Beautiful image and background Zim.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

Billy, here is how you justify it. Every job I have had required me to invest $$$ and time in learning new elements for my career field. 99% of this was self induced because I wanted my company to perceive that I was the best they could get, and I believe they did. If you have those same values, you could purchase the lens, justifying the purchase as an investment in training and upgrading your skills, giving you the capability to compete with the best when you are ready, vs. beginning at the bottom.

ps: Hey! You know you want it, you just need a little push, right?

JWilsonphoto

Dear Billy,

Those decisions are second nature to me now, but they were tough when the choice was house payment/TS lens. I rationalized my way through it by concluding that, with a little patience and hard work, the house payment would be no problem if I bought the T/S. Well, convoluted as that thought process might have been.................by the Good Lord's Grace, it seems to have worked.

1       2       3              4249      
       4251              4344       4345       end