4219              4855       4856       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 18961

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Ahoy matey, looked pretty good there

stevez wrote:
How I spent my Fourth of July...

http://youtu.be/OBguShgJzYA

...competing in Vegas with Sound of the Rockies.

Edit to add TOPP

Now why didn't we think of that.................................?

JWilsonphoto

Something that I know most of us, if not all of us struggle with, is that tugging when we feel like photographic excellence is close at hand, but time, obligations, schedules make it impossible to stay and go after what our instincts are telling us is just around the bend.

I have seen thousands of places over the last 32 years, through one eye, as I performed the commercial photography duties placed before me. Many of them I made mental notes about, hoping to return at a less harried time in my life. There will likely never be a time when something isn't pulling on us, but I'm beginning to feel like the time is drawing near to go back after some of the things that time wouldn't previously allow.

I'm sorting through some imagery from a recent trip and it has reinforced my desire to take the knowledge and the gear I have been blessed with, and really go after a myriad of subjects that are out there waiting. How wonderful is it that we have this passion, that never gets old , whose subjects are limitless, and that we have been given the drive that no matter how great our imagery is from today, tomorrow is a new day and we know it can be better.

JWilsonphoto

Hey, did you all see the video from a Phantom II that the guy launched into a fireworks show? Not saying that was the brightest thing to do, but the video is amazing and it didn't get shot down. JR showed it to me and told me that if I had done that and it got disintegrated, he'd have replaced it just because it was such a cool idea. I'd have to give that some thought. I must be missing something, how do you fly the quad when you can't see it? I know you can monitor what it's seeing on the Black Pearl HD monitor, but how do you launch it into a fireworks show at night, hover it between 400 and 1,000' and bring it back to you safely? I start breathing hard when it gets a few hundred feet away from me.

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

Or this one over Scotland...

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2621

Razor17 wrote:
Or this one over Scotland...

Most of that is within about a 3-5 hour drive of me. The steam train going over the viaduct is the same viaduct as in the Harry Potter movie.

At some stage I will make the time to go shoot some of the fantastic landscapes that are on my door step.

If you guys want to bring some warbirds & photo platforms over, then I can guarantee the scenery.

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 698

Executive Power - Spartan Executive head-on. Christopher Buff, www.Aviationbuff.com

futurshox
Total Posts: 2751

The lights on the DJI quads are pretty bright at night. I don't think he'd have any trouble following it. And you've always got the 'bring me home' button.

But yeah; I'm not sure I'd be sending my quad into a barrage of anti-aircraft fire, myself...

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

A little test shot for an upcoming project which will not be at this airport or include this plane.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4053

Shame nice Pilatus

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

I know he owner of the plane so hoping to turn it into a project too. Really want to do A2A with it!!

Jan-Arie wrote:
Shame nice Pilatus

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2621

Marine Nationale Rafale M at the Nato Tiger Meet.

Just above the forward slime strip, this aircraft carries mission markings.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2913

Haven't heard the 'tape lights' called 'slime strips' before. Funny.

JWilsonphoto

I'll bet you do have some beautiful compositions at your fingertips Mark. Who knows, we just might be able to put together a B25 tour in your neck of the woods. Certainly no shortage of historic subjects and beautiful canvases. The question would be, would I fly the 25 over with Gunny, or go by more civilized livery? Hard decision. Maybe do a leg or two in the 25 and have the jet meet us. I know that I wouldn't have to suggest the trip twice to Gunny, he'd be all over it!

JWilsonphoto

Hi Rob,

Is your production still or video? Those darn sodium vapor security lights are tough to deal with. I have a brainstorming session coming up on my T-38 film. When I know a little more about the direction it's going to take, I'll give you a call. Thanks again for your kind offer.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4061

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, did you all see the video from a Phantom II that the guy launched into a fireworks show? Not saying that was the brightest thing to do, but the video is amazing and it didn't get shot down. JR showed it to me and told me that if I had done that and it got disintegrated, he'd have replaced it just because it was such a cool idea. I'd have to give that some thought. I must be missing something, how do you fly the quad when you can't see it? I know you can monitor what it's seeing on the Black Pearl HD monitor, but how do you launch it into a fireworks show at night, hover it between 400 and 1,000' and bring it back to you safely? I start breathing hard when it gets a few hundred feet away from me.

Here's the link. it's some pretty tasty and unique footage.

I'd treat this as strictly POV flying: head down on the monitor with a safety observer to keep eyes on the drone. The flying isn't difficult, though the possibility of being shot down is not insignificant. At least he was flying it over water and not a crowd of people, so if it did get hit he'd be out some $$$ but nobody would get hurt.

http://youtu.be/a9KZ3jgbbmI

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8886

Lots of couldas shouldas wouldas there, Jim.

I say you need to carve that time out for yourself now, rather than "later". I say this after something that happened recently. A well loved professor at school who was teaching the "Enterprise Desktop Technician" class I am in died on the 27 of Jun. He missed the first two weeks of school, and the official word was that he hurt his back. When he returned, he did not have the walk of someone who was still going through PT for that sort of severe back trouble. I got to having a long chat with him on the 26th as I was waiting for Windows to do its updates so I could shut down my machine, and discovered that he probably fibbed about what really put him in the hospital. Needless to say, that conversation made me realize that our time here is too short, and putting things off till later oftentimes mean it won't get done at all.

I thought briefly about putting off the entry to the nursing program after I received that letter, but decided that there is a reason the opportunity was presented, and I best take advantage of that opportunity, even though I'm probably going to kick myself for that decision over this next semester .

The weekend before my life turned upside down, my husband asked me to look up the cost for a trip to Ireland for the two of us. Sadly, I still haven't made that trip yet.

Go take those photos Jim, the "less harried time" of your life may not allow you the opportunities.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Something that I know most of us, if not all of us struggle with, is that tugging when we feel like photographic excellence is close at hand, but time, obligations, schedules make it impossible to stay and go after what our instincts are telling us is just around the bend.

I have seen thousands of places over the last 32 years, through one eye, as I performed the commercial photography duties placed before me. Many of them I made mental notes about, hoping to return at a less harried time in my life. There will likely never be a time when something isn't pulling on us, but I'm beginning to feel like the time is drawing near to go back after some of the things that time wouldn't previously allow.

I'm sorting through some imagery from a recent trip and it has reinforced my desire to take the knowledge and the gear I have been blessed with, and really go after a myriad of subjects that are out there waiting. How wonderful is it that we have this passion, that never gets old , whose subjects are limitless, and that we have been given the drive that no matter how great our imagery is from today, tomorrow is a new day and we know it can be better.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8886

This one?

http://www.wimp.com/fireworksdrone/

JWilsonphoto wrote:

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Ok, I'll get hammered for this I'm sure, but...

I wish people would stop praising the person who flew their UAV through the fireworks.

Do we not understand that a 6" firework is akin to a 152mm mortar?

What if that UAV re-directed a shell toward something flammable or toward people or made it detonate prematurely? What if the UAV were knocked out of the air and injured someone on the ground?

Stupid. Arrogant. Ignorant and it should NOT be called "cool" or "impressive"

Any of the above happens and you can kiss any type of UAV use goodbye...

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 307

Lovely Message Laura,

Yes Jim and all of us we need to always work for that balance between life's demands and smelling the roses. I look back on my life and hope that I am making the right choices between work/life. It's important to work/save/plan for retirement or tomorrow, but we also need to make sure we make enough good memories along the way that our loved ones have enjoyed our time here, only one knows when we will be called home for the last time.

Dan

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Lots of couldas shouldas wouldas there, Jim.

Go take those photos Jim, the "less harried time" of your life may not allow you the opportunities.

JWilsonphoto wrote:

futurshox
Total Posts: 2751

I haven't seen anything that says if he had permission for it, either. That was a big, professional display that you can bet was being watched by several thousand people. So either he had permission and all was peachy, or several thousand people were wondering what those little floaty lights were, wandering around the firework area.

1       2       3              4217      
       4219              4855       4856       end