/forum/topic/600984/4216

1       2       3              4216      
       4218              4836       4837       end

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4039

Dutch Apache Demo

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 18832

Just spent a few minutes going back to the 2006 Time Machine of our initial thread. Fun, what a journey we have had together.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 958

Dear Jim, may I say how relieved I am to read your recent words re acquiring / flying a '51?

High quality decision making is at a premium when things go bad as the incident with Gunny illustrates. Better yet, make those good decisions on the ground. Now don't get me wrong, I marvel at the incredible serviceability that the warbird maintainers achieve but the fact is, none of these wonderful aircraft where ever designed or built with any kind of long term serviceability in mind. It's not just the '51 that can bite as far as I can see they all do. Fact is a piston single fighter is a hot ship and the passage of time does not alter that.

On the other hand, a Tucano sounds almost sensible. A modern turbine motor removes a huge amount of uncertainty and a modern airframe with a design life in the thousands of hours removes most of the rest. BTW can one get a live seat from MB for those ex RAF Tucanos or are they still giving it the Teflon shoulders.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8807

Interesting little tidbit about Tesla I found today while surfing news:

http://gas2.org/2014/07/05/tesla-motors-makes-hiring-vets-priority/

Jan-Arie

Pffft what a match !!!

Jan-Arie

F16
B52

JWilsonphoto

Hi Nick,

Right you are, if I can mute the "yeah, but it's not a Mustang" voice in my head. I'm guessing that sitting in a pristine Tucano spooling up the Pratt, might drown some of that out.

JWilsonphoto

Yup, I think it'd be fine........................

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4056

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Zim, did you fly your new bird, or take commercial?

This was shot from seat 4A on UA1072. I performed with the chorus in Vegas on Friday night and needed to be at my daughter's Colorado wedding reception this afternoon. Otherwise I'd have been tempted to fly the Pipistrel down through Utah, shooting all the way.

stevezzzz

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Interesting little tidbit about Tesla I found today while surfing news:

http://gas2.org/2014/07/05/tesla-motors-makes-hiring-vets-priority/

Tesla seems bound and determined to do the right thing on more than just the technical front.

ELinder
Total Posts: 957

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Yup, I think it'd be fine........................

Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

Erich

JWilsonphoto

Would be fun on HQ Thursday, wouldn't it!

ELinder
Total Posts: 957

A GoPro, a laser connected to a simple sight, a couple receivers that trigger a buzzer... Yeah, that'd work!

Erich

stevezzzz

How I spent my Fourth of July...

http://youtu.be/OBguShgJzYA

...competing in Vegas with Sound of the Rockies.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8807

Ahoy matey, looked pretty good there

stevez wrote:
How I spent my Fourth of July...

http://youtu.be/OBguShgJzYA

...competing in Vegas with Sound of the Rockies.

Edit to add TOPP

JWilsonphoto

Just in case anyone wants to burn bunches of JetA, a buddy of mine is selling his A4........................

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9901

I'm with Jim on the risk/return analysis. I've given up several things that I enjoyed immensely -- motorcycles and skydiving are good examples -- because I looked at the statistics and I simply don't believe I can have a reasonable expectation of doing them for a lifetime without a significant probability of death or life-changing injuries.

Simply put, grandchildren and old age next to my bride trump everything else.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2906

Tell ya what. At 63, with 5 grands and a bride of 40+ years, I need a little stimulation to continue making life fun. Sure, having fun with the grands will always be fun. I have always popped up with something to stimulate my need for exhilaration. Today, while finishing the farm house stimulates my creative half of the brain, I need something to take my breath away. Fortunately, my buddy Glenn has been able to provide a burst at the right time.

Writing about the farm house, the wainscot I fabricated, installed and painted the last couple of days. Like they say, 'if you want something done right..."

JWilsonphoto

Beautiful Wrei! I am a believer in your quote, do it yourself and avoid the disappointment. That being said, on the way home from church a little while ago Sheila and I were discussing building a new home, and where we would build it. I did say that I would have a professional landscape plan drawn and implemented by one of my landscape architect/clients, and then would contract to have it impeccably maintained, and seasonally refreshed. Just once I would like to pull into my driveway without seeing something I need to plant, replant, replace, trim, mow, edge, weed whack.

We know the design we would build, all on one level, between five and six thousand sq. ft. My biggest client would build it. Ross Jr. owns the land we'd put it on, in a gated community about a half mile from where we currently live, so it would all be in the family.

JWilsonphoto

If you would like to kit build your new BBJ, I think I know where you can buy cheap fuselages.................

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/07/05/train-derailment-spills-boeing-737-fueslages-into-river/12258639/

1       2       3              4216      
       4218              4836       4837       end