Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4216

1       2       3              4216      
       4218              4530       4531       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19259

Right you are Jan Arie! I'm thinking that budget shouldn't be a consideration given the opportunity.. What I'd spend on updated Nikon glass would be pretty minimal (relatively speaking) when compared to the scope of the shoot. I would certainly kick myself for a long, long time if I found myself in a situation where I lacked the right equipment. I would guess that the imagery will adorn some fairly significant walls after the fact, so that's another consideration.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19259

Something for the brain trust........I run into this fairly often and wonder if there is some way, in post, to minimize the effect. When shooting interiors during daylight hours you get a bit of a color cast from whatever the sunlight is bouncing off of outside. In most cases, as you see here, it's grass or landscape of some sort. Does anyone know of a technique in post that could gently coax some of the green out of those sections of the image? It would have to be a very subtle brush or something, other wise you would just exacerbate the situation. None of my clients have commented, but I'd like it not to be there.

rkelley
Total Posts: 554

rkelley

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

Good stuff randy. The Breitling team put on a nice show hey?

rkelley

Thanks Steve, total agreement on he Brietling team, I'd like to see them again.

RK

rkelley

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Something for the brain trust........I run into this fairly often and wonder if there is some way, in post, to minimize the effect. When shooting interiors during daylight hours you get a bit of a color cast from whatever the sunlight is bouncing off of outside. In most cases, as you see here, it's grass or landscape of some sort. Does anyone know of a technique in post that could gently coax some of the green out of those sections of the image? It would have to be a very subtle brush or something, other wise you would just exacerbate the situation. None of my clients have commented, but I'd like it not to be there.

When I have something similar and I want to do a quick-and-dirty cleanup (avoiding PS is a life goal of mine), I use the adjustment brush tool in LR with auto-masking turned on. Color adjustments? No problem. Is it perfect? Not usually; but often, 'good' is good enough.

stevezzzz

Go4Long wrote:
Then yes, while the 200-400 is quite good, the 300mm and 400mm Nikon primes are really in a class of their own.

And as all of us photographers know...it's hard to beat free.

Jim, not that you'll be looking to save space/weight, but I'm really impressed with the new Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF ED VR. It's not even as big or heavy as the 24-70 f/2.8 II, but it does a great job without breaking the bank or overloading the carry-on. I've used it with the 1.7x TC, too; the focus performance at f/7.6 (that's wide open) is a trifle spotty, but when it hits, it's pretty spectacular for 500mm from such a small piece of kit.

KJindaUK
Total Posts: 646

The longer reach the better with wildlife, and a fast camera with a big buffer to shoot every nuance of an animals movement. I think you already have all you need Jim, the 1DX and the 800mm.

Kev

KJindaUK

I had the privilege of flying a 45 minute photoshoot with the Vulcan yesterday (longest airborne shoot since she returned to flight) over the Isle of Wight and along the south coast. Truly awesome experience and with time fast running out for the Vulcan something I never thought would happen. Images are for the VTTS so I can't share any until next year unfortunately, but I will eventually.

Kev

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Kev,

Was anyone else on the photoship with you?

Mark

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

KJindaUK wrote:
The longer reach the better with wildlife, and a fast camera with a big buffer to shoot every nuance of an animals movement. I think you already have all you need Jim, the 1DX and the 800mm.

Kev

Spot on. 1DX plus 800 for your wildlife shots Jim, with the D810 and some smaller lenses for landscape.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

We're Head to Head by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Popo and Paco by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

stevezzzz

KJindaUK wrote:
I had the privilege of flying a 45 minute photoshoot with the Vulcan yesterday (longest airborne shoot since she returned to flight) over the Isle of Wight and along the south coast. Truly awesome experience and with time fast running out for the Vulcan something I never thought would happen. Images are for the VTTS so I can't share any until next year unfortunately, but I will eventually.

Kev

Kev, you lucky dog! Were you aloft in a camera ship during the Beachy Head demo? That video you shared on FB is something else.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

A few from the 'Spirit of 45' event at San Marcos yesterday. The various birds did a flypast around local towns and downtown Austin, before returning to the field. I caught them taxiing in, but didn't stay too long after that.

stevezzzz

Since Kevin can't post any of his Vulcan images, let me fill the gap...

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

KJindaUK wrote:

Kev

Presumably that was for Eastbourne. I was there today (but of course the Vulcan wasn't) However, saw the Mig-15 for the first time and had fun experimenting with the 100-400 plus 1.4ext on the 1DX and the 500 F4 on my 7D2 (which I'm not totally happy about - but maybe it will grow on me)
Niall

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

My wife and I took a trip in the way-back machine today. We were looking at old photos and saw many were beginning to deteriorate. Today I ordered a new Epson photo/film scanner and a 2 TB hard drive. 2 TB may not be enough, but it will be a start!

Our first date, October, 1966

KJindaUK

MMcGrath wrote:
Kev,

Was anyone else on the photoship with you?

Mark

Yes Mark, there were six shooters altogether, we had the use of a Beech 99 normally used for para drops.

Kev

1       2       3              4216      
       4218              4530       4531       end