---

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7717

++

NightOwl Cat

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4524

Our local fireworks lack any interesting foreground, so I go for the abstract closeups...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3387

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Sing well, Steve, as you always do, for those who are and those who are no more. Have a great time, as I'm sure you do, and may Sound of the Rockies conquer the desert!

Thanks, Rodolfo. It was a barn burner of a contest, with all five medalist choruses scoring 92 and above. Happy and proud to report that we gave a great performance and are one of those five: fourth place in the world ain't chopped liver in this company.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16136

Congratulations Zim! We need to gather up a bunch of us and come hear you "live and in person".

JWilsonphoto

You all are not unfamiliar with my opinion on government efficiency and competency, so, in the interest of fairness, I thought I would share what was a most unexpected series of events. Yesterday, for reasons that will remain undisclosed, I was granted a fast track into a Homeland Security program that allows one to, in most cases, bypass customs delays during international travel, and security checkpoints while traveling domestically.

First, to be granted access to the program was a privilege, second, the manner in which it was handled, the speed, efficiency and respect with which I was treated, was nothing short of astonishing. As you might expect, the background vetting is substantial, but it was smooth, seamless and handled impressively. Oddly, this all took place on a national holiday! Hats off to the folks at Homeland Security! I will continue to appreciate them on every trip!

JWilsonphoto

Got a call this morning confirming D810 Arrival in 12 days. Hoping they get here before my next A330 project in a couple of weeks!

Chandler put another Cub hour in his logbook this week. We had some unusual skies with lower broken ceilings, so for the first time, I took him "on top" in the Cub. Quite an experience in the Cub because you can feel the moisture, and smell the the clouds as you pass through the wisps. He was reaching out with both hands and grabbing handfuls of cloud, fun time!

JWilsonphoto

Sad news re: the Mustang in Durango yesterday. That was an incredible aircraft, one of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen. The loss of a piece of history pales in comparison to two lives, obviously. Funny, now that I'm in a position to own a Mustang, I find my desire waning with each one of these occurrences. The state of denial that these are all isolated situations that I could avoid were I to acquire a Mustang, or two, is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain. Never thought I'd pass if the opportunity arose, but I'm leaning more in that direction with every passing loss.

JR and I were having dinner last night, we were discussing business aircraft and mulling over the mission capabilities vs. our needs. He suggested that we get a couple of Mustangs just to have them, even if they never flew. I know myself all too well to think that I could stand that scenario. I asked that he not "surprise" me with a Mustang, much as I hated to verbalize it. If one showed up, there's no way I could stand to enjoy it as a display piece, so it would set whatever was to happen down the line in motion, because I'd sure as heck never let the front seat cool off. Weebeesee.

Had an opportunity to shoot Glenn's MiG 17 air to air late yesterday, from my favorite perch. After some soul searching, for a couple of reasons, I stood down. Those of you who are on the perpetual B25 mission list, would have had the opportunity to do that shoot in October of 2012 with me, but that wasn't in the plan as it turns out. Would have been a much happier scenario.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Congratulations Zim! We need to gather up a bunch of us and come hear you "live and in person".

I'd like that! We would not disappoint, I promise you...

NightOwl Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwuUza_aBY

Boston Pops Esplanade Fourth of July concert, first time they've ever streamed it. One snag this year is that Hurricane Arthur/Thunderstorms put a crimp in the schedule, so they did the fireworks live, but at the end, they put in last year's performance of the 1812 Overture for everyone that was streaming or watching on TV. For me, it's not the Fourth without the 1812 Overture and live howitzers

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2158

Little experiment with the Go-pro mounted on a pole, and using the iphone app and wi-fi to trigger it.

Does anyone know if Go-pro images are better when taken from a video clip rather than when shooting in stills mode?

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2158

Not sure if I've posted this before.
Flight from London to Frankfurt onboard the A380.

http://vimeo.com/98286348

All editing done within Photoshop CC.

RobMoser
Total Posts: 831

Well, sorry to hear we won't be seeing Jan at air shows anymore

Rob

JWilsonphoto

Re: GoPro's, Mark, I don't know. I think the screen captures from video are fine for web use, but I'd guess the higher res stills would print better. Wonderful as GoPro's are, still a major compromise compared to anything we normally shoot with. Hope the 4 narrows that a little.

It will be interesting to see where the ipo goes. I got an invitation to participate at 24 bucks, didn't do it, so expect it to close at 100 by the end of the first day.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1535

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Got a call this morning confirming D810 Arrival in 12 days. Hoping they get here before my next A330 project in a couple of weeks!

Nice, I'm being told 17th of July also, I'll be in the middle of moving and won't be able to pick it up until after the 22ndish, but that's still plenty of time for me to figure out how to work it before Abbotsford.

I look forward to seeing what you create with it JW.

ELinder
Total Posts: 494

The D810 has me very tempted to sell all my DX gear and switch completely to full frame. Use the D4s whenever I need the frame rate or crazy high ISO and the D810 for everything else.

Jim, I can certainly understand your evolving viewpoint about the Mustang. As beautiful as they are if ever, lotto willing, I were in the position to own one I'd probably go for something like a Tucano for similar reasons.

Erich

JWilsonphoto

HI Steven. I'm looking forward to an additional bump in quality, but from what they tell us, the buffer and autofocus upgrades might make it a viable choice for some of our faster moving subjects.

A couple of things happened this week that have me thinking more about Phase One as well. Still want to explore that system when I have time to take a breath. I'm thinking fall and a little landscape tour, Colorado, the Redwoods in Northern CA, and Big Sur, AZ if there's time. There's a ton to accomplish between now and September, might set that junket as a carrot for myself as 2014 slips into the final quarter.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Erich,

I think that's a great camera strategy. Since I acquired the D800's, I shoot them 80%+ of the time. Still not satisfied with the system if something is booking it, but any other time, it's my choice. Pretty sure the D810 will only reinforce that.

On the Mustang subject, thanks, it's very easy to let a lifelong dream and emotion cloud that decision, but the background reality exists. My friend and client in East Texas, who can afford to buy every significant warbird in the world (I mean all of them!) told me not too long ago that he was really tempted to buy a 51, but he was scared to death it would kill him. He dropped 1.2 on a beautiful Tucano. It's odds, all odds, I'm not worried about mastering a 51, the T-6 removed that doubt a long time (and several seat cushions) ago. The problems come in with an unforgiving wing, and a 70 year old airframe/engine. If it quits on you, although some have survived the scenario, you are in a tough spot that is likely to be your demise. Just tossing a dart at the wall, that could very well have been what took place in Durango yesterday. I don't care if I've got someone as seasoned as Gunny in the second seat, when that happens, it's going to be very dicey and people are likely to get hurt. Bottom line, I think I'd like to fly something a little less stellar, for a much longer time. 45 years of shooting and being friends with some of the best sticks that will ever live, has taught me some irrefutable lessons, paid for with a number of their lives.

stevezzzz

Jim, I can't fault your logic. But a Mustang is a temptress...

What if you were to extend that argument to Mitchells? Is the twin-engine safety margin really that great?

1       2       3              4215      
       4217              4319       4320       end