Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4202

1       2       3              4202      
       4204              4530       4531       end

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

JayDavis wrote:
I don't think I will ever get tired of that feeling.

It is a most excellent feeling ;-) Nice one!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Go4Long wrote:
Here's the thing with the F-35 in my opinion. Every new fighter has had it's supporters and it's haters. F-4 pilots hated the F-16 at one point too, and look at where it sits now.

Most F-4 guys didn't like it because it had a fixed stick on the console that used pressure, not movement to fly the jet. Many older pilots would over G the aircraft because they tried to move the stick, thus, too much pressure. The other reason, two engines. In a dogfight, an extra engine is always nice. Plus...well...the F-4 is just awesomeness!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

johnahill wrote:
I'm still getting through my images from Duxford legends.
Spitfire Mk xiv

I know the engineers must have had their reasons, but it's always jarring to see a clipped-wing Spit. How could you mess with the perfection of that beautiful, elliptical wing?

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

Wrei wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
Here's the thing with the F-35 in my opinion. Every new fighter has had it's supporters and it's haters. F-4 pilots hated the F-16 at one point too, and look at where it sits now.

Most F-4 guys didn't like it because it had a fixed stick on the console that used pressure, not movement to fly the jet. Many older pilots would over G the aircraft because they tried to move the stick, thus, too much pressure. The other reason, two engines. In a dogfight, an extra engine is always nice. Plus...well...the F-4 is just awesomeness!

That's my point though. People needed to learn how to fly it the way it was meant to be flown, if you try to fly it like an F-4, it doesn't do that. Same thing with the F-35...most people are stepping in to them from F-16s, and if you try to fly it like an F-16...it doesn't do that. The F-16 does things that no other fighter can do, the F-35 does things that no other fighter can do...to expect it to do the same different things that an F-16 does is pretty much the same as expecting an F-16 to suddenly do all of the things an F-35 can do, neither one is a reasonable expectation.

It's still a few months from its IOC. Give it a few years and who knows where it'll be. Maybe people will still hate it...maybe they'll love it. Let's get some people with REAL seat time in the jet and then let them say if they like it or hate it, since most of the critics are still arm chair warrioring a jet that they've only seen in pictures or from across the apron.

Wrei

We are not in disagreement.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

F-100 go around from Friday.

johnahill
Total Posts: 3389

stevez wrote:
johnahill wrote:
I'm still getting through my images from Duxford legends.
Spitfire Mk xiv

I know the engineers must have had their reasons, but it's always jarring to see a clipped-wing Spit. How could you mess with the perfection of that beautiful, elliptical wing?

Yeah but its got a cool 5 bladed prop

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

On sale in the used dept today, only $180,000.00 OMG !

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801201815-USE/canon_2527a001_super_telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6l.html

Canon Super Telephoto 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM Autofocus Lens

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 371

More from AirVenture...this is going to take a while ...

T-6 Parade

Prowling at Night

Panchito

and...That "Ugly" airplane

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

I love my "job".................

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

The "Stars" Of AirVenture 2015:

QF-4E Phantom II

F-100F Super Sabre

FlyingPhotog

Old Gunfighters Never Die...

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Great set of Oshkosh stuff guys.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

FAA regulations are obviously not so tight in Budapest!!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0px9HFIVYjY?feature=player_embedded

Niall

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Hand...Salute!

The mighty Fairey Swordfish passes in review, at RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day.

Wrei

After all the news about the F-16 killing the F-35 in a dogfight, I had to do a little research. I know the DoD and Lockheed wouldn't spend $35 million on a dog. Here is what LM says about air to air:

"The F-35ís integrated sensors, information and weapons systems give pilots an advantage over potential threat front-line fighter aircraft. Compared to 5th Generation fighters like the F-35 and F-22, legacy aircraft have a larger radar cross-section (RCS), which means they can be more easily detected by enemy radar. In aerial combat, legacy aircraft have relatively equal opportunities to detect and engage one another, while a 5th Generation fighter pilot can see enemy aircraft first and take decisive, lethal action from a stand-off distance. The ability to see and not be seen is redefining previous generation air-to-air tactics."

Again, much like how the F-4 was not given a gun because it was designed to kill bombers...yeah, DoD thought the threat of bombers was the future of air to air defense...it appears the F-35 is designed to kill the enemy using it's stealth and electronics advantage. Here we go, the DoD isn't expecting line of sight dogfights for the F-35...go figure. Guess they will be backed up with F-22s.

I haven't posted a photo in a while, so here's an oldie of what some first thought was a Weird Bird:

(Anyone else used the "Dehaze" slider in LR?)

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

The DOD has maintained all along that the F-35 is meant to work WITH the F-22, not replace it.

It's a simulation but here's some interesting scenarios

http://aerosociety.com/News/Insight-Blog/3272/Does-the-F35-really-suck-in-air-combat#.VaBahxSM1mU.facebook

FlyingPhotog

Attila...

FlyingPhotog

My initial air to air hop for EAA...

L-19

Velocity

1944 PT-26 Cornell

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4093

Absolute top notch set of shots Jay super crispy... I hope they ask you to come back next year..

1       2       3              4202      
       4204              4530       4531       end