Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4167

1       2       3              4167      
       4169              4397       4398       end

viczig
Total Posts: 1705

A couple from the RI Airshow practice. A gray dismal day with intermittent showers and a low ceiling, more to come.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16428

Plenty of moisture!

JWilsonphoto

One of those moments...........

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Phoenix Rising
Douglas DC-7 has four turning at Coolidge, AZ

Sound would be nice but the picture would make anyone smile who has felt the sound on 4-3350's....

Aero_70
Total Posts: 89

F4U-4 flipped over today on landing at Peachtree Dekalb airport.
I just saw this on the news. I was planning on going there in the morning to catch the Good Neighbor Airshow.
We had very strong gusts today in Atlanta. I hate to see this, sounds like the pilot is OK.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/25540920/plane-flips-over-at-pdk#axzz31wGY9uHs

Mike Deep
Total Posts: 160

Reading that headline made my stomach do a flip. That's Jim Tobul's Corsair.

One of his guys confirmed on Facebook that he is OK.

They were at Sun n Fun last month. I really hope it can fly again.

EDIT: According to this, it will!
http://allthingsaero.com/airshows/article-jim-tobul-survives-landing-incident-at-pdk

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3513

JWilsonphoto wrote:
OK Jo and Zim, I must be dumb as a post because this high dollar DJI and I are not forming a beautiful relationship. After a half hour this morning in a huge open sports field where I couldn't hurt anything (but myself!) I packed the darn thing up and tossed it in my car.

Start up and lift off seemed normal, then it acted like it had a mind of it's own, full speed diagonally with little to no recognition that I was attempting control inputs. Maybe I need to do the whole calibration regimen all over again. I'm getting a little bored with bouncing three grand off the grass over and over. This morning had me reconsidering hand recovery, at least as it pertains to "challenged" pilots. I have several small bandaids on my forearm where it managed to bite me. All in all, not enjoying the creative effort with my new toy yet.

I thought I answered this already, but I don't see it; so here goes again...

That doesn't sound like anything I've seen with my Phantom, Jim. Calibration? Maybe. But if you can't just let go of the sticks and have it auto-hover without drifting, I'd suspect a defective controller or a bad GPS module.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2448

Probably what Zim says. I'm in the UK for another ten days or I'd have a fiddle with mine. I still have yet to really get familiar with the array of light displays; I'm sure it is trying to tell me things. Mine sauntered off the other day but it was quite breezy at the time. I had to hustle it back. More training required for me.

Aero_70
Total Posts: 89

Great to hear that Mike. I like that 2nd pic.
Best of luck for Jim and his Corsair.
I'll add these... These are from last year before I knew that the idea was spinning prop discs, not frozen...

JWilsonphoto

Score another one for media accuracy, on any subject, "It appears that this aircraft will be able to perform in this weekend's show........" Really?! I know the crews at Reno are used to burning the midnight oil to swap an engine, tweak a blown canopy, etc, but I'm thinking this one will require a flat bed trip to Nelson's shop and a bit of TLC. Then again, this might be the most accurate reporting the media has been able to pull off in decades.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Jo and Zim. I spoke with the guy we bought it from and I think I'm going to send it off to him and let him deal with it. Yesterday's experience was just too weird and unpredictable to blame entirely on my admitted ineptitude.

JWilsonphoto

Here's something cool that I stumbled on this morning. There's a Bluetooth backpack module for the GoPro 3+ that allows high fidelity audio to be recorded in real time. Seems the company makes all manner of audio gizmos for motorcycle and sports use. This discovery is very timely because my folks at David Clark called me yesterday to tell me they were sending me a pair of their latest DCProXP ENC/Bluetooth headsets.

Now if GoPro would just roll out the Hero 4, I'd be golden!

http://www.sena.com/promo/audiopackforgopro?gclid=CIaQ6LGSs74CFeUF7AodCRUAbQ

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2675

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Score another one for media accuracy, on any subject, "It appears that this aircraft will be able to perform in this weekend's show........" Really?! I know the crews at Reno are used to burning the midnight oil to swap an engine, tweak a blown canopy, etc, but I'm thinking this one will require a flat bed trip to Nelson's shop and a bit of TLC. Then again, this might be the most accurate reporting the media has been able to pull off in decades.

A crew did rebuild a very bent Mustang in one week after a off airport landing, and it won the Gold, but, they needed a week. A week

Actually Jim was supposed to bring the Corsair to PRS in June to try to get his rookie card and race this year.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4602

Toys...

JWilsonphoto

Toys are good!

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4602

Keep On Cranking...

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Horn Point Antique Fly-in was today ..

It was a beautiful day and a number of planes came in.

A father and son flew in ..

The son flew in on the wings of a 1989 WACO YMP

The father flew in on the wings of a 1929 Fairchild 71 ( one of only 2 flying in the United States / the World I'd guess ). Had a 6 year restoration and today had 30 hours on it.

Horst Aviation, LLC out of Lancaster, Pa

JWilsonphoto

What a nice father/son day!

viczig

A few more from Friday at the RI Airshow

viczig

These are from Saturday

1       2       3              4167      
       4169              4397       4398       end