Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4156

1       2       3              4156      
       4158              4532       4533       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

JamesG wrote:
Hi

I should be sorting through my shots from Duxford last week but instead have been distracted by playing around with various apps & filters. Appreciate these will not be to everyone's taste

Well, these are to my taste: very nice series, James!

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Might just have some very rare A2A P38 images for you in a few weeks, but that is a classified adventure and depends greatly on my ability to be in two locales in a very short time span.

You're a tease, Mr. Wilson...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

James, they are very much to my taste too!

stevezzzz

JayDavis wrote:
Here is something very different than the ones I've recently been posting. Shot this for a client in Miami.

To my taste it's too obviously a composite, but I didn't write the check...and if the client likes it, it's perfect.

stevezzzz

Finally today, after weeks of cloudy, wet spring weather, the skies cleared. Time to take to the air to see what Mother Nature has wrought in the high country: it's a winter wonderland up above the tree line right now. The snow won't last: we've got a week of 80-plus-degree, sunny weather ahead in the forecast. The mountain canyons will be echoing with the sound of snowmelt water rushing down toward the plains, soon enough.

This is a scene above tree line in Rocky Mountain National Park. That's Trail Ridge Road down there, which crosses the park (and the Continental Divide) from east to west, and tops out above 12,100' elevation. The snowplow crews just got the road open this week, after missing the traditional Memorial Day opening. We didn't see anyone driving on it this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_Ridge_Road

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Steve, I am sure California is licking their chops for the Colorado snow melt.

stevezzzz

Wrei wrote:
Steve, I am sure California is licking their chops for the Colorado snow melt.

Ain't that the truth. Though I don't think Colorado River water gets distributed much past the Imperial Valley.

I haven't seen this much snow at the end of May since 1986. It's glorious!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

I understand there are 7 states and Mexico using water from the Colorado river. Currently, CA is the biggest user. They seem to be breaking their agreements with the other users. You are right, there isn't much water left when the Colorado reaches Mexico. They are not too happy either.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Continued experimentation with my vintage Asahi Pentax glass...

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Wrei wrote:
I understand there are 7 states and Mexico using water from the Colorado river. Currently, CA is the biggest user. They seem to be breaking their agreements with the other users. You are right, there isn't much water left when the Colorado reaches Mexico. They are not too happy either.

I actually looked this up the other day. Obviously Texas has seen the biggest turnaround but I was shocked to see the change in conditions here in AZ. Yes, we have our barren desert areas, but much of our state is quite green and heavily forested.

The northeast is a bit of a surprise...

stevezzzz

Mount Richtofen and the Nokhu Crags, in the Never Summer range of northern Colorado...

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

I forgot just how awesome the P-40 was!

Glenn

FlyingPhotog

P-40 With A Twist
So, we're knocking along next to Chuck Gardner in the Cavanaugh P-40 and I wondered "What If?" What if I tried doing an air to air stitched pano...?

The Shots:

The Result:

Now, it's not absolutely perfect. While there are no obvious, glaring stitching errors that jump out immediately, I can tell that I was not rock solid on every frame that makes up the sequence. But as an experiment, I'm pretty satisfied with this.

At a nominal dpi of 240, it scales to just about four feet wide...

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Great job on the stitch, Jay. I think most people would be hard-pressed to see any flaws.

The volley of P-40 shots over the past few days have been wonderful. I've loved that plane ever since I was 8 or 9 years old, when my Dad and I built a plastic scale model of one. Well, he did most of the building. How I wish I still had that model - I have no idea what happened to it. Later there was a B-17, and I don't know where that is either.

Mark

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
P-40 With A Twist

You know, Jay, if you want a four-foot print it would be a hell of a lot easier just to shoot a frame in landscape mode with the D810... [ducking]

As I noted on FB when Jay first posted this stitched P-40 image, the number of times it has occurred to me to attempt a stitched pano of a moving object, shot from another moving object, is...um, zero.

Well done, indeed, Jay. Did you have to fabricate the right wingtip, or is there another image in the series you didn't post?

FlyingPhotog

stevez wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
P-40 With A Twist

You know, Jay, if you want a four-foot print it would be a hell of a lot easier just to shoot a frame in landscape mode with the D810... [ducking]

As I noted on FB when Jay first posted this stitched P-40 image, the number of times it has occurred to me to attempt a stitched pano of a moving object, shot from another moving object, is...um, zero.

Well done, indeed, Jay. Did you have to fabricate the right wingtip, or is there another image in the series you didn't post?

Had to expand the canvas to camera left and found that the wingtip missed being in the frame by literally one pixel so that was an easy tweak.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19268

There is a 72" print , using about 2/3 of a 1DX file, of Happy Jack's Go Buggy hanging in the TKI terminal, and it's a knockout. I'm wondering what a 5DSR file might look like.

FlyingPhotog

The P-40 is 10,585X and it's about 350MB

Glenn Watson

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Cavanaugh Flight Museum's P-40N flown by Chuck Gardner

So Jay - is the front glass open or removed on this photo?

Glenn Watson

Its obvious in many of you and Steve's photos from that flight but it sure as heck looks like its not there in the above quoted photo.

Glenn

1       2       3              4156      
       4158              4532       4533       end