Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4156

1       2       3              4156      
       4158              4285       4286       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3299

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
Tesla's done some smart things along the way (and had some good luck, too), but the Supercharger network is one of the best: brilliantly conceived and cleverly executed. They had the foresight to realize that bootstrapping the charging infrastructure was the only way they were going to be able to attack one of the major roadblocks (you'll pardon the expression) to widespread adoption of EV's. So they hand-built and sold 2500 expensive roadsters to prove out their drivetrain and generate enough buzz and cash to bootstrap the launch of a factory to assemble the Model S, then had the foresight to reserve a reported $2K from the sale of each car to build out the Supercharger network. And then they had the brilliant marketing insight to make that network free to use for Model S owners (and all future Tesla models, presumably), forever. The rest of their Secret Master Plan (which is public: they also have a corporate sense of humor) involves releasing an affordable family sedan with at least 200 miles of range, with first deliveries likely in 2017 or 2018 (by my estimate). There were a number of spots along the way where this master plan nearly foundered and the future is never guaranteed, but the CEO bet his last personal penny on Tesla (and Space X, but that's a different story) and persevered. It's the great American success story, writ large: an immigrant with big ideas, big dreams, pluck, perseverance and luck goes out and does the impossible (according to everyone else) and is richly rewarded; and the rest of the country is better off for his tenacity and vision.

I forgot to mention that Tesla is building a Supercharger station directly across from the main gate at MCAS Yuma. It appears to be nearly complete. I think these guys are getting it right and would be my choice for an EV.

Interesting, Jeff. Did you think to grab a photo? There's already a Tesla Supercharger in Yuma at the Hilton Garden Inn, south of the highway; I used it, twice, driving to and from El Centro in February. I wonder why Tesla thought another one so close by was needed, given that much of the country is not as yet served by even one Supercharger. My guess is that they've got a fleet deal with a buyer somewhere nearby; they did something similar in Las Vegas when the CEO of Zappos ordered 100 Model S cars.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16064

Jo, have you found any airflow/prop efficiency problems using the guards?

futurshox
Total Posts: 2374

Jim, now you're getting technical ;-)
How would I even determine those?

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1851

stevez wrote:
Interesting, Jeff. Did you think to grab a photo? There's already a Tesla Supercharger in Yuma at the Hilton Garden Inn, south of the highway; I used it, twice, driving to and from El Centro in February. I wonder why Tesla thought another one so close by was needed, given that much of the country is not as yet served by even one Supercharger. My guess is that they've got a fleet deal with a buyer somewhere nearby; they did something similar in Las Vegas when the CEO of Zappos ordered 100 Model S cars.

I did not get a photo Steve, but it is located on the back/east side of an existing Chevron Gas Station & Convenience Store at 3919 South Avenue 3 E. Here is a GoogleMap link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24+Hour+Chevron+Gas+Station+%26+Convenience+Store+Ave.+3E+@+MCAS+(Marine+Base)+Main+Gate,+Yuma,+AZ/@32.6565508,-114.5804889,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x55b56c69af07fdd6

stevezzzz

futurshox wrote:
Jim, now you're getting technical ;-)
How would I even determine those?

Why, you just need to do your own test piloting, Jo: remove the prop guards and take copious notes on your kneeboard while flying the thing without 'em...

stevezzzz

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:

I did not get a photo Steve, but it is located on the back/east side of an existing Chevron Gas Station & Convenience Store at 3919 South Avenue 3 E. Here is a GoogleMap link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24+Hour+Chevron+Gas+Station+%26+Convenience+Store+Ave.+3E+@+MCAS+(Marine+Base)+Main+Gate,+Yuma,+AZ/@32.6565508,-114.5804889,100m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x55b56c69af07fdd6

Way at the back, behind the strip mall? Or just along the back wall of the Chevron?

JWilsonphoto

Well I guess if you haven't noticed anything weird, then the guards aren't causing a problem. JR did get me the deluxe case so , as Zim pointed out, that would be useless if I put them on.. I'm thinking the hand launch/recovery technique will be the route I go. Having gourmet south of the border cuisine at Taco Bueno, then heading to HQ to dig in.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Well I guess if you haven't noticed anything weird, then the guards aren't causing a problem. JR did get me the deluxe case so , as Zim pointed out, that would be useless if I put them on.. I'm thinking the hand launch/recovery technique will be the route I go. Having gourmet south of the border cuisine at Taco Bueno, then heading to HQ to dig in.

Mine is just a Pelican case I bought and custom fit to the Phantom, so it's only semi-deluxe.

I ran into a guy at the Rockies game last night (they beat the Rangers, 12-1, BTW) who owns a small chain of restaurants down your way, Hacienda Ranch I think he said. Heard of them?

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1851

stevez wrote:

Way at the back, behind the strip mall? Or just along the back wall of the Chevron?

Along the back wall of the Chevron. In a weird way, it made sense to me that they co-located it with a traditional gas station/convenience store.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4432

In 2011, on a grey, rainy day in Everett, WA, Boeing handed over the first operational 787 Dreamliner to All Nippon Airways. I think the look on this young lady's face pretty much summed up the "hopes and dreams" for the 787 program at that time.

We get so wrapped up in the sound and fury of the aircraft themselves, that we often forget that there are real blood, sweat and tears involved in the industry as well...

Hopes And Dreams

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2140

UK airline Easyjet are developing their own drones to allow engineers to carry out engineering inspections of difficult to reach areas of aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27308232

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

Hey Steve/JW/Jo: Whats your guess at the max forward speed of those Phantoms?

JWilsonphoto

WOW Glenn, I don't know at this point…um….faster than I can control it? They climb like the proverbial BOOH!

JWilsonphoto

What a great portrait Jay!

BTW, I meant to, but haven't, commented on Jan Arie's foray into portraiture…….loved them! Hands down favorite is the little guy headed out the door. The composition, lighting, DOF, the whole package just warms my heart!

futurshox
Total Posts: 2374

JWilsonphoto wrote:
WOW Glenn, I don't know at this point…um….faster than I can control it? They climb like the proverbial BOOH!

Yeah; what Jim said!
They climb fast and fall slower.... They come down faster if you put some sideways motion in there. I find myself having to do a falling-leaf type manouver if I want it to come down quickly, and in the same general bit of sky.

stevezzzz

Terrific, Jay!

stevezzzz

Spitfire painted in the colors of Cmdr Al Deere and owned by Brendon Deere, his grandnephew (I think). Warbirds Over Wanaka 2014.

JWilsonphoto

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is simply how it's done!

Itsed65
Total Posts: 64

C-5M Super Galaxy taking off at Travis AFB

Up we go! by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 138

Beautiful Spitfires Steve!

1       2       3              4156      
       4158              4285       4286       end