Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4143

1       2       3              4143      
       4145              4376       4377       end

Wrei
Total Posts: 2257

JWilsonphoto wrote:
From what I have heard, the F-35 might have broken just sitting there

Hey! I have Loughead, er, I mean I have Lockheed stock and a retirement annuity!! Don't be sayin' that!

In honor of NASA moving their 747 SCA to Space Center Houston from Ellington in pieces for a final destination...

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3130

Every time the owner of the flight school where my Catchers are at calls me I cringe when I answer the phone. Luckily its never been warranted and the calls were always nothing. Til today - Dont have a lot of details yet but a renter put one of my Skycatchers in the dirt, collapsed the nose gear and prop struck it... Thankfully nobody was injured. But it'll be hard to make hours when its sitting in the shop with the engine torn down!

Glenn

Wrei

Glenn...Well that stinks!

XHawkeye
Total Posts: 277

Zane Adams thanks for posting the reminder last Friday about the airshow. Saturday took the wife to her first airshow and she loved it.

Sunday afternoon (a little after 1:00) we're driving past Addison airport (KADS) and there's a F15/F18 sitting at the end of the runway. Do 2 illegal U-turns, to get next the fence, and as I row down the windows the pilot starts his takeoff roll. Once he lifted his nose it was a 45 climb and he was gone. Wow between the noise, the 'bass' rattling my chest and the orange ring of fire inside the engines that was as impressive as Saturday's show.

My F15/18 spotting clue is the tail and neither the wife or I can remember if tail fins were straight or angled.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3130

Pretty much sucks Wrei!

On the other hand, i always dig the high roll rate shots like this from Burnet airshow this past weekend....

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Glenn,
sorry to hear of the Skycatcher mishap. Glad to see, however, that you don't miss a beat. not a single one.

outstanding capture on that last one.

Gero

IndyFab
Total Posts: 1287

Viewing all these amazing shots in this thread, so I guess this would be the best place to ask a question..
Blue Angels coming to town in two weeks, will a 70- 200 II or 100-400 & 7D do the job.. I also have a 5D III and a TC 1.4 II. Never shot aviation.. I presume in TV, not sure what the best shutter speed would be.. I live in the sun belt, so there should be bright skies as well..
Appreciate your guidance..Much appreciated ...

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4567

Sunlit Splendor
Beech T-34s in formation at All Red Star XIII held in Porterville, CA

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4567

Sorry to hear one of your SkyScratchers got Scratched Glenn...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3495

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Sunlit Splendor
Beech T-34s in formation at All Red Star XIII held in Porterville, CA

Just a magical sky and lighting in this one, Jay: major like.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2438

IndyFab wrote:
Viewing all these amazing shots in this thread, so I guess this would be the best place to ask a question..
Blue Angels coming to town in two weeks, will a 70- 200 II or 100-400 & 7D do the job.. I also have a 5D III and a TC 1.4 II. Never shot aviation.. I presume in TV, not sure what the best shutter speed would be.. I live in the sun belt, so there should be bright skies as well..
Appreciate your guidance..Much appreciated ...

I use a 7D and the 100-400. If you're shooting jets then keep the shutter speeds up; 1/400 and quicker is good; 1/1000 or more if it's bright enough. Some folks put it on AV for jets and let the camera pick the quickest speed available. I'll always end up forgetting, so I leave mine on TV and change as required. Oh, if you want blurry background panning shots on takeoff or landing, you'll need to be slower anyway; 1/200 or slower.

For prop planes you can bring it down, 1/250 or slower will get you some prop blur, but be prepared to take many shots and lose a lot of them, especially if you've never shot aviation before.

Other than that; welcome! Have fun, and post your results :-)

futurshox

Glenn, bummer about the plane, but glad nobody was hurt.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1923

Excellent work Jay.

futurshox

Well now Jeff, that's pretty damn awesome right there. Where were you standing?!

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 274

Razor17 wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

Should of had Ford build it...

I don't know, doesn't FORD stand for Found On Runway Dead??
Danno

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7833

but not paint it

Razor17 wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

Should of had Ford build it...

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7833

F-15, I got a high speed taxi ride in one, wish I'd had a camera back then for the HUGE grin that was probably pasted on my face. I don't think there are any photos of the occasion though.

XHawkeye wrote:
Zane Adams thanks for posting the reminder last Friday about the airshow. Saturday took the wife to her first airshow and she loved it.

Sunday afternoon (a little after 1:00) we're driving past Addison airport (KADS) and there's a F15/F18 sitting at the end of the runway. Do 2 illegal U-turns, to get next the fence, and as I row down the windows the pilot starts his takeoff roll. Once he lifted his nose it was a 45 climb and he was gone. Wow between the noise, the 'bass' rattling my chest and the orange ring of fire inside the engines that was as impressive as Saturday's show.

My F15/18 spotting clue is the tail and neither the wife or I can remember if tail fins were straight or angled.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

futurshox wrote:
Well now Jeff, that's pretty damn awesome right there. Where were you standing?!

Jeff is very tall

yipDog
Total Posts: 134

from All Red Star XIII in Porterville, CA

Wrei

Just wanted to share this. Several months ago, I emailed Lens Authority (the company selling Lens Rentals lenses) to see if they ever get a 100-400 with a sharpness of 20/20. He told me hardly ever, so I told him to shoot me an email if he does. Last week, I ordered a rental from Lens Rental to be delivered Thursday for the CenTex Air Show. Today, they sent me an email stating they have a pristine 100-400 with 20/20 sharpness. They immediately rescinded the rental and cost and are shipping me my new (used lens) in time for the air show. That is pretty good service.

Us old retired guys have to buy the good stuff on the cheap ya know?

1       2       3              4143      
       4145              4376       4377       end