Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4142

1       2       3              4142      
       4144              4533       4534       end

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

stevez wrote:
Thanks, everyone. That Mossie image has garnered more attention in less than 24 hours than just about anything I've shot in the last few years. It was a dream come true to see it slot into position on our wing and have it fill (and I do mean fill) my viewfinder. Today's mission with the 262 and the P-51 was also wonderful, but I came for the Mossie and that's what I'll remember.

Kermit Weeks brought his Mossi to the Breckenridge Airsho one year and with 8-10 Mustangs flying, everyone there will remember it...

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

I love the Mossie shot Steve. Stunning image.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

It's killing me that I won't get to even look at the rest of this photoshoot until I get back from another trip starting this morning, but here's a quick edit of the Me-262 and P-51D from yesterday's dawn shoot over the Great Dismal Swamp

stevezzzz

Well, OK: one more. But now I really gotta leave...

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19273

What a great shoot Steve! What platform did you have?

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2456

stevez wrote:
The first keeper from today's air-to-air shoot with the Military Aviation Museum's Mosquito...

Feet Wet

Oh to have a Wooden Wonder flying in the UK! Love it!
Niall

nrferguson

MMcGrath wrote:
Given the option would you swap a 7 year old 300F2.8 IS L for the new 100-400 IS L II or keep the 300?

I've got the 300 2.8 II and the 100-400 II The 100-400 is much better than the old one (which I exchanged) but still not as good as the 300 (or IMO 300 + x1.4) when that length is all you need. But I never owned the 300 Mk1
Niall

nrferguson

dtw757 wrote:
USM IS wrote:
Ooooooooooh, Steve! My next favorite aircraft after the Mustang. Two Merlins are better than one! Very well captured!!
Time to go watch 633rd Squadron and get my fix.

Mike

Great movie for it's time....ever notice when you are watching the scenes (as though a go-pro is on the panel) that look backwards at the pilots, there are no Vertical Stabilizers on their planes. Just a "minor" studio goof

I am told (though I haven't seen the film for years) that they needed one scene with more Mosquitoes flying than they had, so the colour is gradually desaturated over a couple of minutes, a short wartime B&W clip inserted, and the colour gradually brought back - so no-one notices. That may be an urban myth, does anyone know?
Niall

JWilsonphoto

I agree with you Niall, if you are talking about shooting them both at exactly the same focal length. The reason I advised Mark to go for the 100-400 had a lot to do with the focal flexibility. As you know, the II is incredibly sharp, so what you are losing in the trade is that wonderful 300/2.8 paper thin DOF. In the end, each person has to decide what's best for their shooting style, or buy them all and eliminate the angst

My 300 hasn't seen the light of day for over 7 months, but I know it's there when it's the right tool.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
What a great shoot Steve! What platform did you have?

We had Scott Slocum and his A36 as photo platform. He did a great job putting the whole thing together.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Oww missed your recent posts Steve what a great photo's man I'm not jealous at all
Mossie 262 and a P51 to beat really like the first one with the 262 and P51 great stuff.

Were is your next trip taking you

stevezzzz

Jan-Arie wrote:
Oww missed your recent posts Steve what a great photo's man I'm not jealous at all
Mossie 262 and a P51 to beat really like the first one with the 262 and P51 great stuff.

Were is your next trip taking you

Thanks, J-A; it really was a dream come true to shoot the Mossie and the 262/P-51 formation.

This trip is a car rally with 50+ Teslas converging on Custer, South Dakota.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Thanks to all for the advice on the 300.

Managed to get out and do a bit of shooting last night. This was 20mins after sunset, F2.8, 1/80 second through a fence.

Despite being made a good offer that would see me coming out in front on the deal, I'll probably stick with the 300 for the time being as it allows me to get shots like that when others have packed up and gone home.

JWilsonphoto

Very nice Mark!

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Motivation...

No T/S Effect .. All 300mm @ f/2.8

JWilsonphoto

Here's something Zim will enjoy.......

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/IQ2-In-action.aspx?openpopup=yes&url=

stevezzzz

You're right, Jim: I liked that.

JWilsonphoto

Quite a production for sure!

I read in the WSJ recently that Tesla has lost over 200M in the last three quarters. I realize that is milk money to Musk, but do that a few more quarters and you're talking real money !

JWilsonphoto

Zim, I can't remember, did you say that you are coming for ISAP, but might miss AFW? I remember we talked about hangar space for one of those events. WX looking really mediocre for ISAP, which is a shame.

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Zim, I can't remember, did you say that you are coming for ISAP, but might miss AFW? I remember we talked about hangar space for one of those events. WX looking really mediocre for ISAP, which is a shame.

Yes, I'm planning to fly down for ISAP next week, but will have to miss AFW this year (my men's chorus, Sound of the Rockies, is competing that weekend). I know we talked about hangaring the Pipistrel at HQ, but Scott has offered me hangar space at Addison during the ISAP event, so I'll take him up on it and save the car rental. That is, I will if the weather allows me to fly VFR to Dallas on Wednesday or Thursday.

1       2       3              4142      
       4144              4533       4534       end