Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4127

1       2       3              4127      
       4129              4341       4342       end

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2103

Ignaz, welcome to MA2A. You have found the best aviation thread on the world wide web. Stick around and enjoy the discussions and the images. Please do participate in the discussions and when you get a chance, post an image.

Regards, Colin

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3598

Razor17 wrote:
Jan-Arie wrote:
So many photo's taken and only a handful of keepers I think the warm weather was the fault :-P

Skip Steward
Class in session Lightpainting

Really nice shooting there, did you get any of the Skyraider by chance??

Lynn

Sure Lynn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16220

All of a sudden that whopping check I wrote for my homeowners policy earlier this year seems like a really good deal. They determined that our roof is toast, which means we get a picture perfect (my roofing crew that followed me all over the country for 30 years as I photographed for ELK/GAF will be doing the re-roof) 45K roof for a 90% discount.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

Living on the Texas coast, we were forced to purchase Texas Windstorm Insurance, a state bureaucracy . After hurricane Rita, their funds were mostly exhausted. Rates went up and then Ike hit. Several months after Ike, I found I had a bad roof due to the wind. I called TWI and they sent out an adjuster. He said it was toast. Took photos, wrote his report and TWI rejected their own adjuster and told me it is a $5000 repair (less than my deductible). He came back out to get more evidence (he knew it was bad and they were screwing me, he told me that). Again, TWI said it was a repair, less than my deductible. In the process of investigating a law suit, a company came to me and said for $3k they can get TWI to replace the roof. OK, I agreed, after all, it was over $22k to replace. They came out with a different TWI adjuster, spent 15 minutes, they all slapped each other on the back and left. On the way down the sidewalk to their vehicles, one of my 'hit men' turned back to me and gave a 'thumbs up' for a new roof. Sure enough, TWI agreed to replace the roof. My mind saw the 3 of them sharing that $3K over a pitcher of beer at their favorite pub. This was when I decided having any government involved with any insurance was a pile of crap and would be a disaster. Appears my thought continues to be proven correct. These government insurance programs have nothing to do with providing peace of mind and everything to do with selfish greed. I better stop here.

david russell
Total Posts: 749

As I was leaving Texas, we had a hail of a hail storm....much of the hail was baseball+ sized. It destroyed my roof. My well-known insurance company sent an adjuster out and gave me the settlement. For the life of me, I couldn't find a well reviewed roofer who would do the work for any amount even marginally close to the settlement. After a few rounds of trying to solve the issue without success, I called up my agent and asked for some help:

"Sure Mr. Russell, what can I do for you?"
"I'm filling out a complaint form with the Texas Department of
Insurance and don't know how to answer a couple of the
questions. First, what is your full name and business address...."

The insurance company changed their tone instantly and I had an appropriate settlement that afternoon. Never did have to send that form in.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

TWI does not have an anti lawsuit policy, FEMA's National Flood Insurance does. My wife's uncle lived in Galveston during Ike. Most of the homes in his neighborhood had at least 12" of water. The National Flood Insurance told the neighborhood home owners their policies were cancelled a month before the storm...and never sent them a cancellation letter or refund. They could not sue NFI. Put your hands in the care of the gov't and you are giving up many rights as a citizen.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3426

I'm sitting here in Blenheim, NZ, in the fog and drizzle again, working on my meager haul of photos from yesterday. First, the airplanes: a Chipmunk and a RNZAF C-130. They have no particular merit as photos, but are interesting in a peripheral sort of way because the Chipmunk carries a US N-number and the Herc carried the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (better known as William and Kate). Traveling by Herc must be slumming it for the royal couple, who were in Blenheim to lay a wreath at a W.W.I memorial and visit Sir Peter Jackson's nifty museum commemorating the aviators and flying machines of W.W.I.

Then there is a shot of an isolated coastal sheep station in the Marlborough Sound complex of islands and fjords, complete with orange tree and graveyard.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3426

This is a stereo-X pair of an overhanging cliff face sculpted by the pounding surf rolling in off the Pacific Ocean near Cloudy Bay.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1900

What a gorgeous county Steve. Poor weather notwithstanding, your landscape images are typically excellent Zim. Any chance there will be another great camera come available after you get back? I recall benefiting greatly from you last trip to NZ

Take a few minutes to watch this video. An amazing story of aircraft recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruArctYYbM&feature=youtu.be

Zane Adams
Total Posts: 146

We had hail damage a few years ago. All of our neighbors had new roofs, three of them have the same insurance company as we have. (had them for 24 years and this was the first time we called them on our home policy). When the adjuster came out and looked at our roof...We were told it was "heat damage"?!?! Heat damage to asphalt shingles, in Texas? Wtf? We had to appeal and scrap with the agent and the company for several months for them to finally agree that there was hail damage. They changed their mind when two of our neighbors allowed us to show the adjusters where their own company covered the roofs within 40ft of our house. Hmm...

JWilsonphoto

I hear you Zane. They all like those premiums, but the outflow isn't as popular with them, although I have had State Farm for 30 years and they have been prompt, honest, and if anything, over performed on any claim we've had.

JWilsonphoto

Just got home from the 2014 McSam Awards and it was another great evening. 80% of the awards went to my clients, and they were very happy. This is getting to be a habit, a very nice habit.

JWilsonphoto

I've heard a lot of stories like that David. My roofing crew is nothing short of spectacular. We have traveled all over the US and Canada together. There is so much to installing a roof that is pristinely photographable that it's incredible. There can't be any color patterning, irregularity in horizontal or vertical lines. The ridges have to be perfect. I've had them rip all the shingles off a home, or remove all the ridge product, and start again, if everything wasn't flawless.

Occasionally the client would send me out to a part of the country that had a certain regional feel in the landscape and architecture. My job initially would be to find homes that we wanted to re-roof for a brochure or other marketing materials. If the home was right, I had the authority to approve re-landscaping, removing the existing roof, having the product and color that we were highlighting applied, a whole makeover. Amazingly, I felt like Danny Devito and Richard Dryfuss in "The Tin Men", but I really was giving the product away. Most of the time we were trying to showcase a particular product and color, if the homeowner wanted another product or color as the final roof on their home, after the photography was complete, I'd have the crew remove the shingles and re-roof the home with whatever the homeowner wanted. The whole thing seemed way too good to be true for the owners, but it was all on th sup and up. We only had one lady in Ocala Florida that wouldn't trust that we were the real deal. Too bad for her, she needed a roof in the worst way and it was easily 40 grand worth of product, but she turned us down flat.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1900

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just got home from the 2014 McSam Awards and it was another great evening. 80% of the awards went to my clients, and they were very happy. This is getting to be a habit, a very nice habit.

Congrats Jim.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Jeff! My cup overfloweth Now all I have to do is do the work...........

Aero_70
Total Posts: 84

I've been away for a while and just returned from spring break with the family.
I'm not sure if someone has already posted this, but here is a collection of video that someone made of some major crosswind landings and takeoffs.

I want to know how many airsickness bags were used!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9OAng32F0#t=198

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1554

Because you wanna be a...

mrkyle
Total Posts: 594

After a long dry spell I have something aircraft related to share.

From the NAB convention in Las Vegas. Cineflex had this Drones America Phoebus Mk.III hanging over the booth. It is equipped with the 5-axis gyro-stabilization Cineflex HiDEF system.

-Edit for specs-

Wing Span: 27 feet
Length: 12 feet
Height: 4 feet, 4 inches
Empty Weight: 180 pounds
Max. Gross Weight: 500 pounds
Engines: Twin in-line 342cc 2-stroke engine equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection

Max. Speed:120kts
Cruise Speed: 60kts to 90kts
Min. Speed: 45kts
Endurance: 15 hours depending on payload
Launch and Recovery: Fully autonomous take-off and landing

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3598

Sunrise

JWilsonphoto

Beautiful Jan Arie! I can just feel the stillness of that early morning sunrise!

1       2       3              4127      
       4129              4341       4342       end