4106              4273       4274       end

Wrei
Total Posts: 2206

Yep!

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2583

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Tim Adams wrote:
For those with FB there is an amazing shot of the old Super Corsair that crashed in Phoenix. Best shot I have ever seen of the plane.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Planes-of-Fame-Air-Museum/23688958789

Actually I just read that it was 20yrs ago today that it went down.

The plane that ended air racing in Phoenix...

I have learned all kinds of interesting stuff over the years. Take the racers themselves, like the Whittington Brothers. They once owned the race track Road Atlanta. They showed up at Reno with The Museum of Road Atlanta on the planes as sponsors. Trouble was, there never was a museum, never has been one. It was a front to cover all the money from marijuana smuggling. They are quite the pair, actually won class the Le Mans, both spent time in jail, and are back in the news again. They also own at least one P-51, and may have more hidden.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2014-02-06/news/racecar-drivers-don-and-bill-whittington-drug-smugglers-and-cia-helpers/

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2825

For the space enthusiasts among us, there is a space history auction coming up at Bonhams in April. Some really cool stuff, worth downloading the auction catalog and just browsing through it:
Bonhams: The Space History Sale

I think it's too bad some of these items are going up for auction rather than a museum. Things like an Apollo 11 mission patch that flew to the moon with Michael Collins, pages from flown manuals with the crew's notations in the margin, etc.

Mark

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1843

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1506

Really like the tone in that one Jeff...it's a wall hanger for sure.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2802

Jeff W. wrote:

I really like the shot. I am seeing what looks like halo's around the jets. Is this HDR?

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3266

It's more likely a 'pseudo-HDR' from one raw frame: with moving objects you can't really do a full HDR because the subject(s) move during the time it takes to grab the multiple frames you need for true HDR. In LR or Adobe Camera Raw, those halos tend to appear when you push the sliders a little too hard.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2945

Cool shot Jeff. I never ceased to be amazed by the jet team precision in formation. I cant wait to see them after last years break. I'll be at Kingsville NAS in Corpus next weekend for the Blue Angels - anybody else making it to that show?

Glenn

stevezzzz

An Aerostar 601P crashed yesterday southeast of Denver. Looks like the pilot was buzzing something on the ground and lost control: over-banked, nose fell through the horizon, rolled back, pulled, got an accelerated stall, game over. Really glad the pilot was the only occupant and that he didn't take out anyone on the ground.

http://kdvr.com/2014/03/19/plane-crashes-burns-in-southeast-aurora/#ooid=V2ZDNhbDofEz8w9CQMyK1EGxdcIyFnYm

Jeff W.

stevez wrote:
It's more likely a 'pseudo-HDR' from one raw frame: with moving objects you can't really do a full HDR because the subject(s) move during the time it takes to grab the multiple frames you need for true HDR. In LR or Adobe Camera Raw, those halos tend to appear when you push the sliders a little too hard.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Steve is absolutely correct, this is not true HDR processing. As Steve notes, it's just me being too aggressive with the sliders. I appreciate your question Kevin as it helps me understand what others are seeing compared to what I had envisioned and hoped to accomplish in post processing. In this case, I suspect the Clarity slider in LR is the primary culprit. I'll give it another go this evening and try to be a tad less violent with the sliders

I'll post the resulting effort for further comment. Thanks again

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2802

Jeff... The only reason I saw it is because I have a positively horrendous monitor at work. I actually use it as a "proof" for my own work. It magnifies flaws like crazy.

stevezzzz

kwoodard wrote:
Jeff... The only reason I saw it is because I have a positively horrendous monitor at work. I actually use it as a "proof" for my own work. It magnifies flaws like crazy.

You may be the one who pointed it out, but you're not the only one who saw it.

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 629

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/325/language/en-CA/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-Rut.aspx

Not my pictures (obviously), but there's some neat ones in here from back when the planes were new

yipDog
Total Posts: 128

More from El Centro...

Notice anything odd about this pic? Like...aren't the pilots supposed to be LOOKING AT EACH OTHER!!!

Fat Albert a wee bit too big for the 500mm plus 1.4 TC!!

Love my 1Dx!

This poor gal had to watch all the shiny planes perform

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2080

One of my first air shows that I ever went to in Courtland, Alabama had just about everything you could imagine. From WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam and later. This show was around 1992.

This is a link to some information about the base.

http://flytwear.com/9a4-history.html

Jeff W.

OK, version 2 for your review and comment.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 70

Jeff, personally, I like the look of the sky and smoke better in the first shot, but the second does not have the halo effect around the jets. Tough call...

Colin, do you have anymore shots of the Courtland show? Our A-26 should've been there in '92...black Korean scheme named "My Mary Lou". My dad has video from the show and there was more big iron there than you could imagine.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

I agree Ryan

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

Ditto on Steve's thoughts, you just can't fix stupid!

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/video-shows-low-flying-piper-aerostar-twin-just-crash?cmpid=enews032014&spPodID=030&spMailingID=20535231&spUserID=NTY3MzA4Nzg1OTgS1&spJobID=281097554&spReportId=MjgxMDk3NTU0S0

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2080

Ryan, I think I have a shot or two of the A-26. I will look and post if I have them.
Courtland was an amazing show. I remember seeing most of these at the 1992 show and several others at the next two air shows. If I am not mistaken, each of these shows was a three day event and I believe that they where done for no more than three consecutive years. If anyone has more information, please post what you know.

P40 Warhawk
P47 Thunderbolt
P51 Mustang
F4 Corsair
F6F Hellcat
F8 Bearcat
Skyraider
T28A
T6 Texan
SNJ Texan
A-26 Invader
TBM Avenger
F-4 Phantom; Four aircraft doing a fly-by
F-14 Tomcat; One aircraft doing a fly-by
F-117 Nighthawk; One aircraft doing a fly-by
B-17 Flying Fortress
B-25 Mitchell
B-24 Liberator
B1 Bomber; One aircraft doing a fly-by
A-10 Thunderbolt
Harrier
Apache Helicopter
Various WW I aircraft
C-5 Galaxy; One aircraft doing a fly-by
Blue Angels
Canadian Snowbirds

and I am sure that there are some things that I have left off.

1       2       3              4104      
       4106              4273       4274       end