Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4104

1       2       3              4104      
       4106              4531       4532       end

Ttown Aubie
Total Posts: 129

Thanks for the kind words Glenn, I did not think they were too bad for a first attempt. They can only get better.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Joe, obviously the more chances you get to practice, the better your panning technique will get. I suffer from a lack of panning practice, so there is no telling what I might get Sunday. I hope to see you there and I will give you a heads up when I get there. My plans are to first visit the static displays for a while to get some shots there before heading over to the General Admission area for the show itself.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Stevez, I know it is a long shot, but would you have any idea of the identity of the largest ocean liner in the photo? I am thing that it may be the Queen Elizabeth or the Queen Mary, but I have no clue if it is one of those two ships. The QE has my interest because that is what we sailed on from England to New York way back in late January or early February of 1962.

We discussed this at some length on FB. Zooming in on the scanned image I can see that the funnels are those of a Cunard ship; given her size and deck configuration she almost has to be the QE.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Managed to get out and shoot with the 11-24 today. Having been thwarted by weather and overcast skies since I got it, I decided to go shoot inside a Cathedral instead. As there were worshippers there, I only took a few shots to try the lens out. I would prefer to be able to go at a quieter time and maybe shoot with the tripod.

These are both shot at 11mm.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19263

Ttown, very respectable effort Sir, unfortunately you have now launched out on an unquenchable quest There are people here who can help you with that, but help comes in the form of knowledge, diligence, a black hole of newer/better gear, and the camaraderie indigenous to MATA. There is, fortunately, no known cure for what we have........

Hi Zim, I guess I remember you mentioning a trip here. Beautiful spot. I'm shooting in Nocatee/Ponte Vedra today and tomorrow. Just grabbed a quick lunch and a short walk on the beach to clear my head. Sometimes you have to step away from this for a few minutes to regain, uh, "perspective" as it were. The ocean, an amazing place to feel small, and refresh one's concept of just how big God is.

bobl
Total Posts: 2793

Zooming in on the scanned image I can see that the funnels are those of a Cunard ship; given her size and deck configuration she almost has to be the QE.

Do I also see a carrier about 4 slips to the right of the Lady?

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Hi Bob! Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope you are doing well.

The Brooklyn Navy Yard used to build carriers. I wonder if it is the Independence. Steve, can you zoom in and see a number on her?

Mark

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

JWilsonphoto wrote:

There is, fortunately, no known cure for what we have........

Aint that the truth!

Glenn Watson

Shot an awesome freshly restored A36 today. Fella flew it all the way from Pensacola for us! Guess they heard things are better in Texas...

I really wanted this one to look fast!

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Its been a while since I shot on my own schedule at dawn. Forgot how great it looked instead of high noon at an airshow!

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

Nicely done Glenn! Beautiful 36, did you get a chance to give it the once over?

Texas is looking beautifully green! I figure it should be perfect about the time I get back. Looks like you have some water back in the estuaries too! Our lakes have improved considerably over the past month. Lets go get that Citation Mustang when I get home, I want to roll some 4K. The guys at Texas media are on the ball, I got an email Friday from Joe (my sales counsellor) alerting me to a firmware upgrade for the XADC extension unit that I bought with the FS7. This update allows the FS7 to capture full 4K Pro Res in the camera, no external recorder like the Shogun required.

bobl
Total Posts: 2793

Mark;
Doin' great!! Thanx for asking. I lurk here everyday, but have nothing post-worthy.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Over on Facebook, I was speculating that Steve's carrier was actually the Intrepid. In '58 she was part of the North Atlantic fleet, and in 59 went to the Mediterranean. I was wondering if he caught her between deployments. It'd make sense too as to why she's there again now as a museum, back home as it were.

Glenn, love the over the numbers shot!

Erich

Glenn Watson

Hey JW:

Things are looking real nice around here! (especially when Andrew is at the wheel!)

Glenn

Glenn Watson

And I did give it a once over, and its probably the nicest Bonanza i've ever seen that wasnt brand new. Its a 1982 model! Whiz bang all glass panel, 25k in the paintjob alone, just perfect. These images were made for an upcoming ABS "Beech of the Month" article...

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

Yup, it's a beauty. 1982 would be the right year for a restoration too, it's when they went to dual yokes and abandoned the swing over. He did what I did to the Skylane, no holds barred. Who did the restoration? We might need that guy to do a Baron

JWilsonphoto

Those images are your run of the mill perfection! Just think of all the companies the Bonanza Society can give those shots to!!

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

ELinder wrote:
Over on Facebook, I was speculating that Steve's carrier was actually the Intrepid. In '58 she was part of the North Atlantic fleet, and in 59 went to the Mediterranean. I was wondering if he caught her between deployments. It'd make sense too as to why she's there again now as a museum, back home as it were.

Glenn, love the over the numbers shot!

Erich

I think you're right. That was my first guess as well, but I did a little research and realized the Intrepid was an Essex class carrier built in WWII. The carrier in Steve's image has an angled deck, which I think was introduced in the 1950's (Forrestal class). So I went with the Independence.

But it looks like they modified the Intrepid to add the angled deck, which ended at the superstructure (like the carrier in Steve's photo). The Forrestals were longer, as was the angled deck. I found this image (Intrepid at the top):

Mark

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

There is just no end to the air-to-ground photo opportunities in the desert Southwest. In a three hour flight I can overfly the Great Plains, the majestic Rockies, the wonders of Utah's red rock country, and Lake Powell...and that's just one transect of a vast area that's pretty much all photogenic.

Here's a view of the Sangre de Cristo range in southern Colorado, taken as we were crossing the high ridge westbound at about 12,500' MSL.

1       2       3              4104      
       4106              4531       4532       end