Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4097

1       2       3              4097      
       4099              4854       4855       end

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

Thanks Steve. That 'Stubilizer' is quite a neat piece of kit. When you think of the potential applications, it has to sell in good quantities - It will be a crying shame if it doesn't get the funding. Just recall the amount of times you have seen on TV a GoPro mounted on a helmet or on a body mounting or on a mountain bike or other action activity. The demand must be there.

Jim: as Steve says, the brutal reality is if he does not get the backers to pledge the FULL amount, the project is dead in the water.

If it does fail to achieve it, Stu will then be in need of finding backeing elsewhere, that is my guess at the moment. I havent spoken with him on that point...

His website http://www.rocksolid-tech.com/ will remain the same for the duration of the Kickstarter. If it gets the funding, to help Stuart out, I will probably takeover the website & do it free for him until it is well established...

The funding is via:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496576492/stubilizer-gopro-compatible-active-camera-stabiliz

Forgive the blatant advert but I am wanting to help him out in anyway I can. He and his Stubalizer deserves all the help we can muster... Thanks

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2306

JWilsonphoto wrote:
. Does he have any plans for units that would work with larger camera bodies?

I keep meaning to ask him about larger bodies - My gut feeling is he wants to get the GoPro to market, first and foremost. Walking before running!

From a technical standpoint, I cannot see any reason that it could not be scaled up. A lot depends on exact centre of gravities of the mass being stabilised - I would think that the gyros and other motion sensors can interface with larger stabilizing motors
I have a 2 dimension stabilizer for the GoPro on my UAV (now a hexcopter with 6 props & video downlink). But the stabilizer has internal drives and external interfaces and uses external power source. As do all the other GoPro stabilizers - Non are intended for use other than on remote control aircraft/UAVs.

What makes the Stubalizer unique is that it is completely self contained and self powered - It is small & light. See his video when he fixes it to a monopod & holds the monopod from the other end - the camera just irons out the tilting & swaying ...

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 972

Been following the Malay T7 thing here:-

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost.html

Some very interesting stuff and a predictably large amount of silliness.

Slow old duffer that I am I'm bewildered that most folks have apparently assumed that because transponder returns suddenly stopped it means that the transponder was turned off. I understand that other causes of transponder non return have a small likelihood about as small a likelihood as loosing a commercial T7 for 6 days and counting. Oh well.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 18957

True Nick, but we're talking about an airplane with redundancy out the wazoo, which makes the odds of a complete failure exponentially less likely.

Thanks for the experienced analysis DTW. If it's true that the two passport thieves bought tickets with cash for a previous flight, then didn't fly, or ask for a refund, then rebooked on the vanished 777, one could surmise that the first run was a trial to see if the stolen passports were going to create an issue. Perhaps they watched it from afar, when it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a problem, they booked again with cash and made the trip.

If it is still in one piece somewhere being retooled for evil, you would think that they'd have to do a quick turn because you have to believe that every satellite that can read the label on a golfball is looking for an errant 777 sitting someplace. You could probably convince the pilots to land somewhere on the off chance they might be deluded enough to think they'd be let go, but it seems highly unlikely anyone could convince them to fly the aircraft out knowing what they'd know. One has to wonder, what with the aircraft in hand and that much fuel left, why they just didn't proceed to a target at that point. The logistics of landing it, hiding it, refueling it and whatever else they wanted to use to weaponize it, sure would raise the chances of being noticed.

An attack on US soil would be a real stretch wouldn't it? Seems that we'd be vigilant enough to notice the signature of something like that off shore long before it could complete it's mission. That would lead one to theorize that it's target would have to be somewhere in that part of the world, and pretty shortly after departure, because the second they are detected and fighters scramble, they are going to get blown out of the sky. A Triple 7 aimed for a major metropolitan area at the right time of day would make 9/11 look like a walk in the park. Great times we live in.

Would love for Dazz to weigh in on this with all his experience in that part of the world.

JWilsonphoto

Well, that's a good strategy Donald, what with a zillion GoPro's out there compared to the number of larger camera bodies, that's where the gravy is. Hope he reaches his goal, the product is beautiful.

Donald Gray wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
. Does he have any plans for units that would work with larger camera bodies?

I keep meaning to ask him about larger bodies - My gut feeling is he wants to get the GoPro to market, first and foremost. Walking before running!

From a technical standpoint, I cannot see any reason that it could not be scaled up. A lot depends on exact centre of gravities of the mass being stabilised - I would think that the gyros and other motion sensors can interface with larger stabilizing motors
I have a 2 dimension stabilizer for the GoPro on my UAV (now a hexcopter with 6 props & video downlink). But the stabilizer has internal drives and external interfaces and uses external power source. As do all the other GoPro stabilizers - Non are intended for use other than on remote control aircraft/UAVs.

What makes the Stubalizer unique is that it is completely self contained and self powered - It is small & light. See his video when he fixes it to a monopod & holds the monopod from the other end - the camera just irons out the tilting & swaying ...

azbill
Total Posts: 510

Thunderbirds over Luke AFB earlier today.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2852

A shame this thing is still a pile of parts somewhere in a hanger in CA.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8881

Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor" is what's ringing in my head.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
True Nick, but we're talking about an airplane with redundancy out the wazoo, which makes the odds of a complete failure exponentially less likely.

Thanks for the experienced analysis DTW. If it's true that the two passport thieves bought tickets with cash for a previous flight, then didn't fly, or ask for a refund, then rebooked on the vanished 777, one could surmise that the first run was a trial to see if the stolen passports were going to create an issue. Perhaps they watched it from afar, when it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a problem, they booked again with cash and made the trip.

If it is still in one piece somewhere being retooled for evil, you would think that they'd have to do a quick turn because you have to believe that every satellite that can read the label on a golfball is looking for an errant 777 sitting someplace. You could probably convince the pilots to land somewhere on the off chance they might be deluded enough to think they'd be let go, but it seems highly unlikely anyone could convince them to fly the aircraft out knowing what they'd know. One has to wonder, what with the aircraft in hand and that much fuel left, why they just didn't proceed to a target at that point. The logistics of landing it, hiding it, refueling it and whatever else they wanted to use to weaponize it, sure would raise the chances of being noticed.

An attack on US soil would be a real stretch wouldn't it? Seems that we'd be vigilant enough to notice the signature of something like that off shore long before it could complete it's mission. That would lead one to theorize that it's target would have to be somewhere in that part of the world, and pretty shortly after departure, because the second they are detected and fighters scramble, they are going to get blown out of the sky. A Triple 7 aimed for a major metropolitan area at the right time of day would make 9/11 look like a walk in the park. Great times we live in.

Would love for Dazz to weigh in on this with all his experience in that part of the world.

Tim Adams

Back in 2008, as long as you payed attention to where you were at, anywhere on the ramp was available.

dtw757
Total Posts: 129

I have a hard time believing that given the history of the last 12 years, that a pilot could be coerced into landing (willingly)a plane with extremists on the aircraft. Most of us go to work understanding that "giving" an airplane to someone is not the way to go. Even if it means leaving the passengers on the aircraft. Its a hard thought to have, one you hope never to deal with. But...in the question of qualified pilots on board, without slandering anybody, there is one person who is qualified, young, and not been at the airline too long. I agree that it will be hard to keep that aircraft "hidden" and given the proximity to Europe and amount of fuel required to feed it, that would be a better guess if that is what has happened. Certainly a mystery given all the electronics around.

Mike

JWilsonphoto

I agree Mike. You guys have always shouldered a tremendous amount of responsibility, these days, even more.

Tim Adams

Not a $100 hamburger plane, but one of the great designs ever IMO.

JWilsonphoto

Wish there was a factory doing this today.................

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2402

Thunderbird 1 taxiing to the active at Luke AFB.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2621

dtw757 wrote:
I have a hard time believing that given the history of the last 12 years, that a pilot could be coerced into landing (willingly)a plane with extremists on the aircraft. Most of us go to work understanding that "giving" an airplane to someone is not the way to go. Even if it means leaving the passengers on the aircraft. Its a hard thought to have, one you hope never to deal with. But...in the question of qualified pilots on board, without slandering anybody, there is one person who is qualified, young, and not been at the airline too long. I agree that it will be hard to keep that aircraft "hidden" and given the proximity to Europe and amount of fuel required to feed it, that would be a better guess if that is what has happened. Certainly a mystery given all the electronics around.

Mike

One thing strikes me with this whole episode - the Malaysian military were asleep at the wheel. The Malaysians have F/A-18Ds, Mig-29's and some relatively new SU-30's. It's not as if they don't have capable air to air equipment.

In Europe, if you have an aircraft go NORDO & no other comms from it then fighters get launched. If you have an unidentified primary radar return, then fighters get launched. The idea of launching fighters to intercept unknown primary returns has been going on in the UK at least since the Cold War - sometimes known as "bear hunting".

JWilsonphoto

That's an excellent point Mark!

JWilsonphoto

Looks like I will once again have the honor of being the photographer for the "Flying Tigers". They have asked me to cover what is most likely their final reunion.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2621

Jim,

There's an event being planned for later this year called Daks over Normandy where the plan is to get all the surviving Europe based Daks to take part in the D-Day commemorations.

This years D-Day (70th) are likely to be the last major anniversary where veterans are present.

JWilsonphoto

It's a shame to lose them, but worse by far is the fact that the great majority of the current generation have no idea what these men and women sacrificed for us. Too busy with Instagram/Facebook/Pinterest to care.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2751

Well, I am fixing to attend the D-Day anniversary air show in Duxford on the 24th May, so I am looking forward to paying my respects. And of course if any folks from here are there, I would love to meet up!

In other news, I have been running numbers from my road trip. I drove 3,427 miles in total. For our British folks, that is the equivalent of driving from Land's End to John O'Groats and back again, twice!

1       2       3              4097      
       4099              4854       4855       end