Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4080

1       2       3              4080      
       4082              4341       4342       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16220

Beautiful Zim! i love the POV of you landing the drone in your hand, but didn't think about the number of stitches that could be involved. You would have had to look up the local Shaman from the looks of your location. Seems to me, looking at the design, that you weren't in great danger reaching up from below. You being a product design guy I figured you had it all mapped out before you snatched it.

Glad you're having a great time along the way. Don't worry about me, I'm just slaving away behind the 17 T/S trying to keep the economy above water.

Today I'm shooting this project using the CamRanger System. This little piece of technology is just wonderful, worth it's weight in gold. I can't believe that I didn't know anything about it's existence prior to a couple of weeks ago. Once you get a handle on all it can do, it saves you a million trips back to the camera, and I don't have to go to my MacBook Pro and download each perspective to double check it.

Can hardly wait to see what you get at El Centro. Don't let your drone get sucked through a Super Hornet!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3428

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We had better keep this all to ourselves, I wouldn't want Zim to be tempted beyond his ability to resist............

*snort*

Huh? Wha...? Did somebody call for my wallet?

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16220

I think I'm hooked Zim. Probably going to have to abandon my age old tradition of having at least one back up for every body/lens/strobe, I don't even want to begin to do the math on that. I called my insurance guy on the way home yesterday and he was happy to bump my policy ........ and the premium.

Like everyone, I really dislike paying those premiums. This morning when I was being tossed all over Hwy. 121 by a trailer that was hooked to me by the emergency chains and the electrical plug, my premiums looked pretty reasonable. What a way to begin the day. My diagnosis is, someone who was having a bad day, or a bad life, decided it would be fun to pull the retaining clip from the horizontal pin that holds the bar and ball in the receiver. There's no way that could have vibrated loose. I always do a walk around after I've hooked the trailer to the Landcrusher, but I didn't look directly at that retaining pin...that'll never happen again. The whole thing came unglued at 65 or 70, so it was pretty interesting for about 45 seconds as the trailer and the Landcrusher vied for position. I now have a lock on that pin. Another opportunity to appreciate the Grace and Providence of God. I guess, more importantly, if things turned out badly this morning, I know for a fact Whose Arms I would have landed in, and the Premium for that was paid 2,000 years ago by the best friend anyone could hope for.

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 272

Jim,

Glad to hear you are okay. When it comes to trailers I have a 3 step process.

1) Ball retaining nut is torqued to over 300 ft-lbs when installing to reciever
2) Ball retaining nut is welded to ball stud making it's presence permanent
3) Reciever and trailer pins are secured with locks, not pins, in place.

Why you ask? I have much experience with "articultated" vehicles, and none possitive when the point of articulation is lost!

Dan

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2170

Jim,

By the sounds of things, it's not a Phase One setup you need, but one of these:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-benz/g-class/road-test/6x6-driven

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

To put Mark's link into perspective, watch this... http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/tv/g63-amg-6x6-showcar/

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4540

HOLY MOO!!! Gimme a mini-gun turret on top and let's go!

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

And they're only a paltry $500k...

FlyingPhotog

FAA Released some "clarifications" related to UAVs...

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240

stevezzzz

Here's my Phantom2 in the Pelican case I bought for it, sitting in the front trunk of the Tesla where it lives. Apologies for the crappy iPhone photos...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2415

Thanks Steve. I see you take the props off... Makes for a smaller case, to be fair.

I have been eyeing up one of these: http://www.goprocases.com/dji-phantom-case-w-prop-guards.aspx - in fact I ordered one, only for them to call me two hours later saying someone else had got the last one and they wouldn't be able to ship new ones for two weeks... So my phantom is now sitting in a $15 Target plastic crate at somewhat of an angle, but it's the only way it's going in my car between now and launch on Sunday... Or maybe it is a sign that I shouldn't take it. I don't know.

stevezzzz

A quick-and-dirty Silver Efex 2 conversion of a D800 pano: Monument Valley from the northeast approach.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1900

stevez wrote:
A quick-and-dirty Silver Efex 2 conversion of a D800 pano: Monument Valley from the northeast approach.

Gorgeous photograph Steve; Ansel would be jealous. Have a great time at NAFEC tomorrow. As Jay noted in his prior post, it appears the forecast is dry and generally clear - with some wind. If wind direction remains as forecast, you should get the preferred LSO/RWY assignment. Have a great time young man.

FlyingPhotog

Yours truly has an image in the March issue of Photoshop User Magazine. It's already led to an email enquiring if I'd be interested in licensing some of my "machine" images for retail sale...

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2103

Congrats, Jay. A well deserved accolade.

Jeff W.

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Yours truly has an image in the March issue of Photoshop User Magazine. It's already led to an email enquiring if I'd be interested in licensing some of my "machine" images for retail sale...

Congrats Jay. Definitely well deserved.

Jeff W.

I am very proud to inform the MA2A family that my photography has been featured in the latest issue of f11 Magazine. I am only the second aviation oriented photographer to be featured - photography icon Paul Bowen being the first. To say that puts me in some very elite company would be a massive understatement. I am more than humbled. I'd truly appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to read the article and give me your thoughts and impressions.

www.f11magazine.com

I've been a subscriber to f11 Magazine for a couple of years and believe it is one of the finest photography magazines available - an obvious biased statement. It is both a humbling and satisfying experience to have some of my work selected for their magazine. I encourage you to sign up for a free subscription and enjoy this excellent publication (shameless plug).

I would be remiss if I did not thank all of you for helping to inspire my photography and for your encouragement - who would have 'thunk it'.

For those wondering, the editor of f11 told me he found my work on Flickr. Talk about a needle in a very large haystack

Alpha_Geist
Total Posts: 367

Whoa! What an awesome capture!

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful Zim! i love the POV of you landing the drone in your hand, but didn't think about the number of stitches that could be involved. You would have had to look up the local Shaman from the looks of your location. Seems to me, looking at the design, that you weren't in great danger reaching up from below. You being a product design guy I figured you had it all mapped out before you snatched it.

Glad you're having a great time along the way. Don't worry about me, I'm just slaving away behind the 17 T/S trying to keep the economy above water.

Today I'm shooting this project using the CamRanger System. This little piece of technology is just wonderful, worth it's weight in gold. I can't believe that I didn't know anything about it's existence prior to a couple of weeks ago. Once you get a handle on all it can do, it saves you a million trips back to the camera, and I don't have to go to my MacBook Pro and download each perspective to double check it.

Can hardly wait to see what you get at El Centro. Don't let your drone get sucked through a Super Hornet!

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2103

Congrats as well, Jeff. Well deserved.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Awesome read and great shots used for the piece Jeff.

1       2       3              4080      
       4082              4341       4342       end