Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4079

1       2       3              4079      
       4081              4285       4286       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2834

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Grumman Bearcat, yes...

Cool. My first thought was a Hellcat, but the canopy wasn't right. Next thought was Bearcat, but I don' t know a lot about that one, so was guessing.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16064

Received this note today from my lab. Kind of sad, my e-6 processing tab ran over 100k every year for 20 years. That began to drop with the purchase of Canon's 30D, or D30, I can't remember. Sign of the times................

JWilsonphoto

Ok, as promised, here's the skinny on my hands on with the Phase One IQ280 system. The camera fell into my hands, ergonomically it was instantly more comfortable than my old familiar Blads. The Hasselblad felt good in your hands because it was a "Hasselblad" and the quality was understood. That being said, it was a clunky box that required you to feel around for the controls regardless of the number of times you had clicked the shutter.

The camera is intuitive both in it's on board controls and back functions which, with a short tutorial, seems pretty straight forward as well. I shot three or four lenses, a 24 which is the equivalent to a 17mm on ff DSLR bodies, a 35mm, and a 110 macro which was superb. All Schneider lenses, no Japanese wannabe products. Auto focus was crisp and reasonably prompt, with a small green confirmation dot in the bottom of the viewfinder. I'd rather have it in the frame but it is what it is. I experimented with the AF, but spent most of my time focussing manually, and I believe that I would use that method during most of my shooting with this system.

The kind lady from P1 went into great detail when I told her of my concerns and the rumors I've encountered re: Hasselblad's digital system and sensors. Seems P1 has redesigned their backs to deal with heat and lack of longevity. Her explanation made perfect sense to me, their five year 100% warranty convinced me further. Not only do they stand behind their product for 5 years and beyond, if there's a hiccup, they have a new component in your hands within 24 hours.

They had a Profoto studio lighting set up , but I wasn't all that interested in that subject, I assume the portrait detail is exceptional. The day was dismal and my Aston wasn't available as a subject, so I stepped out the door and captured this........... which is a 489MB TIFF file. My MacBook Pro did the equivalent of "Say What?!!!!!" when I opened the RAW file, tweaked it in Capture One, and saved it, but I kind of expected that. The folks at Phase One are putting together pricing for a system that we configured this morning. I'm going to take the camera and a few lenses on a couple of different assignments before I pull the trigger, but I think I pretty much know how this is going to turn out.

JWilsonphoto

Schneider 110 Macro, handheld, manual focus, flat light, water drops on the hood of a silver Audi. The largest of the drops was smaller than a dime...................

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1851

I'm excited for you Jim. It's been my sense that P1 has done things the right way, but it is good to get a preliminary "thumbs-up" from you. Looking forward to more of your comments after further testing. Hopefully, it will continue to impress. I'll bet the image you posted looks even better as a slightly tweaked file on your home monitor.

azbill
Total Posts: 467

Fantastically lit and captured Jeff!

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Jeff! The options to really see what it was capable of were pretty scarce, but I learned enough to draw me further in. Those images were 125th at f/9, just walking around. Take the image you just posted, can you imagine that in a 500MB file with a 14 stop dynamic range? It really kind of boggles the mind, as well it should given the tab. Just from the short time I was with the gear this morning, it's easy to see how a system like that, in the right hands, would set a photographer so far ahead of the pack it's unreal. The studio where the demo was held had large Phase One captured prints lining the hallway, and they were very striking, but I have to admit that I just kept thinking about what some of you here could do with a handful of that technology. I believe that it is truly so exceptional in it's ability to produce a quality image, that it would have one seeking out opportunities to stretch it's legs.

The 32 MB card I used indicated that I could shoot about 280 files. Obviously huge files, but given a frame rate of about 50 frames a minute, one is actually burning up fewer digits with the Phase One, than you would be with a 1DX or a D800. As we discussed when you were getting your Blad, these cameras force you to slow down a bit. I'd switch over to 128GB cards for this system just so you wouldn't have to fumble so much during air to airs, but the camera balance and sleek profile should work extremely well, and it's extra weight would be a stabilizing factor. The P1 with a Kenyon 4x4 screwed to it would certainly maintain the fitness of one's back, shoulders and arms, but it's very manageable.

I can envision the camera atop my RRS ball head set to f/16 and pointed toward a sunset drenched landscape, the results would be spectacular. If all goes as planned, this is timed perfectly because I'm headed to some great places with rare access in the near future.

Another cool feature is the P1's ability to create a wi-fi network with a laptop or an iPad and be completely controlled through them, as well as send imagery to them wirelessly. The P1 certainly doesn't negate the value of our Canon and Nikon gear, but it's another hammer in the tool box, and a big one.

JWilsonphoto

We had better keep this all to ourselves, I wouldn't want Zim to be tempted beyond his ability to resist............

Wrei
Total Posts: 2209

Sunrise / sunsets...drooling...

JWilsonphoto

This sensor has double the dynamic range of the human eye. Wrap your head around that!

JWilsonphoto

How about this for image dimensions?

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3299

Jeff W. wrote:
stevez wrote:
I set off on a road trip to NAF El Centro yesterday and stopped along the Colorado River upstream from Moab to take photos and stretch the Phantom 2's legs a little. I uploaded a little unedited video, but my browser won't play it (just displays "Blocked Plugin"). Does it work for anyone else?

Worked well for me Steve. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I've got my fingers crossed for some vapor and great photo-ops for NAFEC. I'm looking forward to your photographs

Thanks, Jeff. Turns out I had to install a later version of Flash to get it to work for me.

After all the horror stories, I'll certainly take the warnings about whizzing propellers to heart.

I ventured a couple miles from the highway today to shoot Mexican Hat Rock with the Phantom 2. No video yet, but here is a stereo-X pair from the quad, and a photo of it ready to take off from the hood of my car.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1851

A gorgeous car in gorgeous country Steve. That Utah dirt will wash off just fine. One last comment about NAFEC, if it rains late Wednesday or early Thursday, don't go down the dirt farm road to catch the morning BA practice - you'll get stuck. There will be some AzAP guys there happy to 4-wheel you in

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4432

Latest forecast for Thursday at NAFEC is dry with a high of 81 and westerly winds at around 17mph...

30% chance of rain for Friday.

FlyingPhotog

Still on the fence about St George, UT in July, but there's no denying the backdrop here is kinda nice...

Osprey arriving back in 2012:

FlyingPhotog

The views left of center are also kind of nice at St George...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3299

I put a couple of quadcopter videos from Mexican Hat up on my website:

http://www.stevezphoto.us/utah

I forget who asked (Jo, maybe?) but this version of the Phantom has a built-in gimbal and video camera: no GoPro required.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2374

T'wasn't me, I was asking how you carried yours.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

T'was me, thanks!

with my R/c skills, i'd be scared to take that thing off the ground!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2834

I would love to give one a try. I have flown just about everything R/C with the exception of a turbine and a Quadcopter (I had the original Parrot AR Drone, but I didn't really feel that was true R/C). I used to do aerial photography with a GWS Slow Stick and a modified 1.3mp keychain camera. Was really fun.

I have to say this. The caliber of photographers in this thread astounds me. I love all things in the air, I can't shoot it worth beans, but you all can. This thread is always a treat for me. Thanks for doing what you do.

1       2       3              4079      
       4081              4285       4286       end