Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4038

1       2       3              4038      
       4040              4356       4357       end

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

nickjohnson wrote:
Warning – this is off topic – no aeroplanes here.

It may read as being a little far fetched – but I do get a lot of inspiration from the work folks put up here. In particular the low light work – and in general, the planning, the stick with it, and the just plain determination to get the image.
I've gone around in a fair few circles, trying to figure out how light to make low light work in post. The darker the ambient light the more difficult I find it is to strike a balance between “accuracy”, “realism”, and “expectation”.

So here, by way of a thank you, is an illustration of the progress so far. It's a panel of Three - #1 is viewers left, #2 is centre, and #3 is viewers right. The exposures are all four minutes and I left the star trail stubs in as an artistic decision.

Wonderful images Nick.

Correct me if I'm wrong sir, but it looks like you are shooting under near full moon night conditions? The centre image (#2) is my favorite. The color, tones, and contrast are "softer" in this image compared to #1 or #3. There are no strong shadows and the moon rising/setting in the background is excellent. The streaking clouds almost look like crepuscular rays of light in all the images and is especially strong in #1. This type of cloud movement is a rare sight in the typically clear AZ night skies. I also like the slightly desaturated look in image #3 with the castle nearly a silhouette in the background. Because of your northernly latitude, do you have a overlap of both moonlight and sunlight this time of year?

You've inspired me with this post - thank you.

Edit for TOPP - Here is "far fetched" for you Nick

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 774

Dear Jeff,

Thank you. Yes, your right, full moon or as near as. These where taken Feb / March last year, at about 20:00 – 21:00. That's about 2hrs after moonrise and about 4-5hrs after sunset. As for moonlight / sunlight overlap – I've never thought about it – but yes, lots, and not just in winter. We get visible, high full moons and summer days that never truly get fully dark. We also get weeks of grey overcast which is the gulf stream preventing permafrost!
The cloud thing was / is a total surprise and delight. If you need a 4mins exposure it's too dark to see most of what is shown in the pictures – including the sky. It's a hoot to see that stuff come up on the back of the camera – kinda like getting the film back from Kodak!
As for the inspiration – your welcome – beats perspiration any day.

I do like “far fetched” - the blur gives it a dynamic, “something happening” quality. Oh, and your right, it is far fetched for me – how long a lens would I need to get that from NE England?

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1209

Nick, great, I too like #2.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4553

Because who doesn't like polished aluminum?

From Osh 2013

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3099

gerov wrote:
Glenn,
A word of caution with the variable NDs. When you dial up the ND, there is a phenomena where you get a dark "X" pattern in the image. I've noticed this in using mine, and I have a coated Heliopan filter. I read about this, and you effectively get about 60% of the ND range before this starts kicking in. I believe it is a function of the fact that a variable ND is effectively two polarizing filters with one of them fixed and the other is rotated to increase the ND effect.

I'll try to do some tests with my 24-105 at various focal lengths to illustrate the point.

Gero

i'd like to see that Gero. I'm not a big fan of screwing things on the end of my lenses anyways.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Glenn,
here is one example where I had the variable ND cranked up to around 8 out of 10. I haven't cleaned up all the spots so forgive the ones I've missed, but the left and right sides are clearly underexposed relative to the middle third of the image.

This can be corrected to some degree using the graduated ND correction in lightroom, but my suggestion would be to experiment between .3 and .6 NDs and use the one that gives you the best results. You should be able to determine pretty quickly which one to use for which lighting.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

FWIW I use a Hoya ND8, there hasn't been any issue for me.

FlyingPhotog

I have a Tiffen variable ND and I have to say I've never seen that effect with mine and that includes cranking it down far enough to be able to shoot at f/2.8 around 11am in Arizona sunshine.

Aero_70
Total Posts: 84

Polished Aluminum... Ha! I like the Mickey Mouse ears.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3466

Aero_70 wrote:
Polished Aluminum... Ha! I like the Mickey Mouse ears.

Funny! I thought of bushy black eyebrows, myself.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2244

Our F-102s and F-101s had the mirrors inside the canopy.

yipDog
Total Posts: 133

Jay, if it's the one I sold you it's a Singh-Ray. They don't exhibit the X that some of the lesser variable NDs do. That's why they're so f-ing expensive! Best out there! Just be glad you didn't have to buy the 82mm!

FlyingPhotog wrote:
I have a Tiffen variable ND and I have to say I've never seen that effect with mine and that includes cranking it down far enough to be able to shoot at f/2.8 around 11am in Arizona sunshine.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16230

My ND filters are Genus, 72mm, 77mm, 82mm:

http://www.genustech.tv/products/eclipse-nd-fader-77mm?utm_source=google-product-search&gclid=CIWal63OhbwCFeHm7AodQQgAPA

Bought them because I had one on top of the clouds f/22 experience like Glenn's

JWilsonphoto

I had a 6:30 wrap up of yesterday's assignment this morning. I hate getting up, but you have to love being able to head to the hangar at 8:30. Actually, I had one stop, the Social Security Administration, to sign up for mandatory Medicare. They were actually pretty efficient for a government operation. I only had to wait an hour, but I was entertained by a guy sitting next to me talking about going to formula 1 events around the world, and his new Corvette………uh, he was there applying for food stamp assistance, and the beat goes on.

Good news is my health insurance premium goes from a grand a month to $104.31 in April, plus a Blue Cross supplemental of a couple of hundred dollars. Bad news is, most of our Docs don't want to have anything to do with you if you're enrolled in Medicare. Glad we're healthy.

FlyingPhotog

yipDog wrote:
Jay, if it's the one I sold you it's a Singh-Ray. They don't exhibit the X that some of the lesser variable NDs do. That's why they're so f-ing expensive! Best out there! Just be glad you didn't have to buy the 82mm!

Oops.... Yeah, like I said Singh-Ray...

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Well, my Heliopan was no bargain as it was somewhere around the same price as the Singh Ray, if I remember correctly. I had read that Singh Rays can exhibit the same effect, I guess it depends in part on the shooting conditions.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

…...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2424

Extra-heavy parcels on that one, I guess!

JWilsonphoto

Oops! Nikon D4s has a memory slot for QXD and CF cards, but it's just been announced that the QXD cards are on their way out. Someone isn't talking to someone.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Landing or doing a burnout dragster style....... Either way, nicely captured.

1       2       3              4038      
       4040              4356       4357       end