Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4037

1       2       3              4037      
4038
       4039              4855       4856       end

Glenn Watson
Registered: Nov 13, 2007
Total Posts: 3779
Country: United States

I know why nobody ever says F/22 and be there!



Glenn



Colin Giersberg
Registered: Jun 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2264
Country: United States

Geez Glenn, it looks like your image has been incorporated into the Lawrence Welk Show. Lots and lots of bubbles.



Glenn Watson
Registered: Nov 13, 2007
Total Posts: 3779
Country: United States

Just wait until its pitch black out to shoot - no dust spots on this one!



Glenn



Glenn Watson
Registered: Nov 13, 2007
Total Posts: 3779
Country: United States

.....



Glenn



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

Glenn Watson wrote:
I know why nobody ever says F/22 and be there!



Glenn


Two words Glenn...

Neutral Density...



yipDog
Registered: Mar 06, 2012
Total Posts: 148
Country: United States

Glenn Watson wrote:
I know why nobody ever says F/22 and be there!


Glenn


Feel your pain!
Looks just like my 1Dx…AFTER EVERY SHOOT! grrrrrrrrr

.6ND is my friend!

But let me also say…fantastic pics! Love the V-tail!



Glenn Watson
Registered: Nov 13, 2007
Total Posts: 3779
Country: United States

Good idea guys - i keep forgetting about those. I need to bite the bullet and buy that vari-ND adjustable. Im just scared that it'll find its way to a position i dont want and wont notice and screw me up and I dont want to mess with screw on filters while flying. I'll just go get a kleenex now to dry my tears..

Glenn



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2402
Country: United States

KC-10A's of the 305 AMW arriving at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport in support of a 2012 military exercise.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 18960
Country: United States

We all feel your pain Glenn. The golden hour isn't best just because it's the most beautiful light, a side benefit is the f stops one shoots at. While you are at the store getting Kleenex, pick up one of those carpal tunnel bands, cuz you are going to have it when you get done cloning!

I have developed a habit of cleaning my 1DX sensors once a week, or after any shoot where I used the high frame rate. I doubt you could take a factory fresh body and shoot it at f/22, the crud on other cameras shows up when you shoot at 22

Just sent you an email about a possible A2A in Central Texas next Wednesday.



gerov
Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Total Posts: 8995
Country: United States

Glenn,
A word of caution with the variable NDs. When you dial up the ND, there is a phenomena where you get a dark "X" pattern in the image. I've noticed this in using mine, and I have a coated Heliopan filter. I read about this, and you effectively get about 60% of the ND range before this starts kicking in. I believe it is a function of the fact that a variable ND is effectively two polarizing filters with one of them fixed and the other is rotated to increase the ND effect.

I'll try to do some tests with my 24-105 at various focal lengths to illustrate the point.

Gero



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4060
Country: United States

You may not agree with everything he writes, but the Stages of a Photographer graph alone is worth your time, and may give you a chuckle or two.

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/blog/2014/1/five-of-the-toughest-lessons-a-photographer-can-learn



seattlebruin
Registered: Nov 14, 2012
Total Posts: 375
Country: United States

Awesome, thank you guys for the responses! I'll definitely check out the APSoCal guys, that sounds great. I'm excited to get posting (probably have to post landscapes and stuff first since that's mostly what I've been doing lately).



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2402
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
You may not agree with everything he writes, but the Stages of a Photographer graph alone is worth your time, and may give you a chuckle or two.

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/blog/2014/1/five-of-the-toughest-lessons-a-photographer-can-learn


Interesting reading Steve. I especially concur with his recommendation to avoid getting " ...caught up in the Social Media hustle." It seems primarily written for the "fine art" photographer; however, the graph would likely apply to anyone. Thanks for sharing sir.



nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 972
Country: United Kingdom

Warning – this is off topic – no aeroplanes here.

It may read as being a little far fetched – but I do get a lot of inspiration from the work folks put up here. In particular the low light work – and in general, the planning, the stick with it, and the just plain determination to get the image.
I've gone around in a fair few circles, trying to figure out how light to make low light work in post. The darker the ambient light the more difficult I find it is to strike a balance between “accuracy”, “realism”, and “expectation”.

So here, by way of a thank you, is an illustration of the progress so far. It's a panel of Three - #1 is viewers left, #2 is centre, and #3 is viewers right. The exposures are all four minutes and I left the star trail stubs in as an artistic decision.

#1


#2


#3



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2402
Country: United States

nickjohnson wrote:
Warning – this is off topic – no aeroplanes here.

It may read as being a little far fetched – but I do get a lot of inspiration from the work folks put up here. In particular the low light work – and in general, the planning, the stick with it, and the just plain determination to get the image.
I've gone around in a fair few circles, trying to figure out how light to make low light work in post. The darker the ambient light the more difficult I find it is to strike a balance between “accuracy”, “realism”, and “expectation”.

So here, by way of a thank you, is an illustration of the progress so far. It's a panel of Three - #1 is viewers left, #2 is centre, and #3 is viewers right. The exposures are all four minutes and I left the star trail stubs in as an artistic decision.

#1


#2


#3



Wonderful images Nick.

Correct me if I'm wrong sir, but it looks like you are shooting under near full moon night conditions? The centre image (#2) is my favorite. The color, tones, and contrast are "softer" in this image compared to #1 or #3. There are no strong shadows and the moon rising/setting in the background is excellent. The streaking clouds almost look like crepuscular rays of light in all the images and is especially strong in #1. This type of cloud movement is a rare sight in the typically clear AZ night skies. I also like the slightly desaturated look in image #3 with the castle nearly a silhouette in the background. Because of your northernly latitude, do you have a overlap of both moonlight and sunlight this time of year?

You've inspired me with this post - thank you.

Edit for TOPP - Here is "far fetched" for you Nick



nickjohnson
Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Total Posts: 972
Country: United Kingdom

Dear Jeff,

Thank you. Yes, your right, full moon or as near as. These where taken Feb / March last year, at about 20:00 – 21:00. That's about 2hrs after moonrise and about 4-5hrs after sunset. As for moonlight / sunlight overlap – I've never thought about it – but yes, lots, and not just in winter. We get visible, high full moons and summer days that never truly get fully dark. We also get weeks of grey overcast which is the gulf stream preventing permafrost!
The cloud thing was / is a total surprise and delight. If you need a 4mins exposure it's too dark to see most of what is shown in the pictures – including the sky. It's a hoot to see that stuff come up on the back of the camera – kinda like getting the film back from Kodak!
As for the inspiration – your welcome – beats perspiration any day.

I do like “far fetched” - the blur gives it a dynamic, “something happening” quality. Oh, and your right, it is far fetched for me – how long a lens would I need to get that from NE England?



carrg1954
Registered: Jan 31, 2008
Total Posts: 1250
Country: Australia

Nick, great, I too like #2.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

Because who doesn't like polished aluminum?

From Osh 2013



Glenn Watson
Registered: Nov 13, 2007
Total Posts: 3779
Country: United States

gerov wrote:
Glenn,
A word of caution with the variable NDs. When you dial up the ND, there is a phenomena where you get a dark "X" pattern in the image. I've noticed this in using mine, and I have a coated Heliopan filter. I read about this, and you effectively get about 60% of the ND range before this starts kicking in. I believe it is a function of the fact that a variable ND is effectively two polarizing filters with one of them fixed and the other is rotated to increase the ND effect.

I'll try to do some tests with my 24-105 at various focal lengths to illustrate the point.

Gero


i'd like to see that Gero. I'm not a big fan of screwing things on the end of my lenses anyways.



gerov
Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Total Posts: 8995
Country: United States

Glenn,
here is one example where I had the variable ND cranked up to around 8 out of 10. I haven't cleaned up all the spots so forgive the ones I've missed, but the left and right sides are clearly underexposed relative to the middle third of the image.

This can be corrected to some degree using the graduated ND correction in lightroom, but my suggestion would be to experiment between .3 and .6 NDs and use the one that gives you the best results. You should be able to determine pretty quickly which one to use for which lighting.



1       2       3              4037      
4038
       4039              4855       4856       end