/forum/topic/600984/4036

1       2       3              4036      
       4038              4242       4243       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4369

FlyingPhotog

stevez wrote:
Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, behold my modest effort to follow Jay's lead.

I had forgotten that Google sent me the full suite of Nik tools; had to go looking for it, but Analog Efex is one of them. I still don't know how to get to tool to play nicely with LR or PS; if anyone has suggestions, I'd welcome their advice.

The install routine should simply make them available under Filters in PS...

dtw757
Total Posts: 92

Colin Giersberg wrote:
I can't remember if this has ever been posted here before, but it is very much worth watching. This video has a powerful and emotional message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYLr_LfhLo

Thank you Colin

astrobrian
Total Posts: 821

FlyingPhotog wrote:
stevez wrote:
Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, behold my modest effort to follow Jay's lead.

I had forgotten that Google sent me the full suite of Nik tools; had to go looking for it, but Analog Efex is one of them. I still don't know how to get to tool to play nicely with LR or PS; if anyone has suggestions, I'd welcome their advice.

The install routine should simply make them available under Filters in PS...

This must have been added as part of an update or somehow I may have never noticed it being there before. Either way Jay's having too much fun, so like Steve I plan on digging into it.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 821

JWilsonphoto wrote:
While we are on the subject of links, a friend from KTKI put this together from his days as a tanker driver, and sent it to me this evening.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxdbEMTVfu7SlpZb3h6TTJGZjg/edit?usp=sharing

Great seeing those home movies like that

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1829

My "L" glass doesn't see as far as Jay's (my pathetic excuse), so I have a slightly different perspective on yesterday evening's photo-ops

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3498

First trip of the year booked flying AMS-IAH-IAH-TMP now lets hope for some sun

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2059

I have two links to videos that I posted at the top of the previous page. Did anybody see them? I assume that some have watched them but haven't posted about them yet. I am not complaining, but I do wish that some here (one did) will watch the videos and reply. There is nothing sinister (I finally got to use that word in a sentence), just a very good message in them. I know we all have busy schedules and it is easy to overlook a post with a short sentence and link to a video, even more so when there is a really nice photo posted just two replies down from them. So with that said, and while your images are being downloaded, how about taking that time to take a look at them. In fact, they deserve to be shared so that more people will see where kids attention spans are being focused. Maybe, the videos could change that for the better in some way.

Thanks in advance. You can see them below.

The first is about an older soldier picking up his grand kids at school, and the trip they take after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYLr_LfhLo

The second is about a soldier coming into a cafe and ordering a cup of coffee and being shown respect by a young boy asking to have a photo taken with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2L3skZ7FEw

gerov
Total Posts: 8660

Colin,
thanks for posting these - I agree that society has lost sight of some of the basic elements of human interaction, the role each of us has to play in our society, and recognizing the achievements and sacrifices of those who contribute to and have made our society possible.

I take pictures of my children's swim team at the meets we host, and a large part of this has been pictures of the kids interacting on the benches in between events. At our swim meet this weekend, I resigned myself to the fact that it was almost pointless to take these shots because the only thing they were doing was getting engrossed in electronic devices. What a shame.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2357

Colin, with all due respect, I am personally more likely to watch a video if I have some idea of what it's about. We are all bombarded every day with "Watch this, it's great!" links. It's the same as when someone posts a thread with a link to a photo gallery inside and no explanation of why I should click... Call me picky, if you will.

As for kids on electronic devices, I think it's a lot of us, and I am not without guilt here. And what about going to concerts these days? You can hardly see the band for the forest of bright screens being held up by the audience.

Colin Giersberg

Thanks Gero. With today's society so engrossed in their smart phones and other technology, it will be difficult to wean kids off of them, much less adults. I tend to think that we all have ADHD now for that reason. We always seem to be looking for the next moment of instant gratification, and the second that it gets boring, we move on to the next thing that captures our interest at that moment.

As far as the videos are concerned, we owe the military personnel for doing a job that goes so unappreciated.
Thanking a soldier, etc. should be common decency,. Those people that fought in WW I, II, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf War, even if not in uniform should be recognizable as being old enough, even if still relatively young, to have fought in a war somewhere to defend this country.

Colin Giersberg

Jo, I understand what you are saying. I guess I should have mentioned something about what the videos are about. In fact, I will go back now and edit my posts to reflect that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2177

Colin wrote: As far as the videos are concerned, we owe the military personnel for doing a job that goes so unappreciated.
Thanking a soldier, etc. should be common decency,.

When I came home from active duty in 1972 I was greeted by a mother telling her young daughter "Yes, he is one of those baby killers" right in front of me. This happened in Houston, TX.

Today, I am so proud of how things have changed for our military, active and former military. Many retail organizations offer discounts, not only to active military, but to Veterans. On Veterans day, many restaurants offer free meals (nice meals) to Veterans. I rented a Penske truck to move the household contents from the coast to Central Texas. When they applied my military discount, it blew up their software and took nearly 45 minutes and 4 phone calls to correct. It normally takes 10 minutes to get the truck. The lady told two of the people she called I should get an additional discount because I was patient and a Veteran. The cost with the military discount was $428, after the phone calls, it was $156, plus they extended the duration one day for a 3 day rental and 3 dozen pads.

Also, when I show my retired military ID for a discount, I am always offered a heartfelt "Thanks for your service" from the employee. I have been in restaurants where the waiter/waitress tells a group of military in BDU's their meal has been paid. Of course, I live near Fort Hood, but even when I was in the greater Houston area, and visiting Phoenix, I have been warmly received by people working for a retail company offering discounts.

I am so happy these Veterans today are receiving more positive greetings than those from the Vietnam era. I am also proud of the citizens who pass along their appreciation to them. These Veterans today have made more deployments to war zones than any since the Civil War and Revolutionary War. They do deserve our appreciation, as all Veterans do. And remember, these guys/gals are all volunteers. And the only people I see screwing them now are the politicians decreasing their retirement pay.

seattlebruin
Total Posts: 105

A random question from a newbie to this... are there any legal/responsibility concerns to photographing military aircraft from outside base fences? I very close to MCAS Miramar, and would love to know if it's OK for me to go and shoot photos of the F/A-18s coming in almost every night

FlyingPhotog

seattlebruin wrote:
A random question from a newbie to this... are there any legal/responsibility concerns to photographing military aircraft from outside base fences? I very close to MCAS Miramar, and would love to know if it's OK for me to go and shoot photos of the F/A-18s coming in almost every night

Generally Speaking (and every base has a different vibe .. Miramar is known to be a little hard-assed at times), so long as you make it abundantly obvious that you are pointing your lens AWAY from the fence and capturing landing aircraft, and you stick to locations where photographers are known to congregate, you usually won't have any issues. Be obvious and don't appear to be "slinking" around the fence line. You can "peek" on base, but avoid letting your lens linger pointed inside the fence.

It also depends on what is going on, on base. When they're in the middle of an exercise (which can often bring in out of town guests), bases tend to be a little more sensitive. Even if the local guys are used to you, Squadron CO's and such from out of town may not like having their birds photographed. It also depends on whether or not there's a regular pattern of having photographers around. Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, knows where we usually hang out and we stick to a pretty strict protocol about not lingering on the elevated spot we use. We walk up, shoot a plane or two and then walk back down below the top of the berm. Tucson International (AZ ANG Base) knows we shoot from the cargo ramp parking lot but it took a couple years before the cops said "don't bother calling ahead anymore" and a little while longer before they just stopped coming around.

Are you familiar with APSoCal? The Aviation Photographers of Southern California are a VERY active group and they have all the local knowledge you could ever want.

http://www.apsocal.com/

Wrei
Total Posts: 2177

seattlebruin wrote:

Probably not, in fact I have only seen local law enforcement hassle people outside fences. The military has jurisdiction within the fence.

Come on back and post your photos, love to see 'em!

Colin Giersberg

Seattlebruin, welcome to our favorite place on the world wide web. Hang around and enjoy the photos and the discussions. There is a lot of knowledge here, and the only way to learn is to keep coming back and seeing what is being said and what is being shown.

Regards, Colin

yipDog
Total Posts: 127

Some round cowled thingy's from Coolidge...

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15895

Sincerest apologies Colin, for my part. I have been meaning to return to those, but have been distracted by the pace of this week. I appreciate your bringing them to my attention. I'm concerned that the generation being "raised" currently might lose the ability to actually communicate on a personal level. Try as I might with my Grandchildren, it's a very difficult tide to turn. On the subject of appreciation for all who have defended this wonderful nation, I beat that drum 24/7, and will every day I breath the air they have paid for. One of the reasons I so resent what is taking place in this country, is that I consider it an abject slap in the face to every man and woman who has put it on the line for all of us, we have an obligation to them.

Thanks for your fervor, I think I might have some welcome company in the dinosaur club.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2573

360 degree cockpit view of Voodoo, complete with a MAP guage that goes to 150 inches.

http://www.airspacemag.com/panorama/225183382.html

1       2       3              4036      
       4038              4242       4243       end