Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4025

1       2       3              4025      
       4027              4533       4534       end

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2013

Sorry all, a few days behind. Had a Great Aunt pass away suddenly on Christmas eve and have been wrapped up between Christmas and Heading to Vancouver for the memorial.

Before anyone goes off on how sad it is, at 82 years old and having spent the last 5 years dealing with Alzheimer's to the point that she didn't remember anyone from our family, this is truly one of those instances where I believe she's in a better place now. She lived an amazing life, and at some point everyone's number has to be called.

Jim:

Glad to hear you got AutoPano working. It is an incredible program.

While I was in Vancouver I finally managed to revisit the location of the old Panorama and get the shot that I had wanted. This one is shot with the Zeiss Distagon 21mm. Can anyone explain the curvature of the reflection? It's in the original shots both horizontal and portrait orientation, and I just can't come up with a good reason why light is bending like that.:

False Creek 2014 by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

I agree with Jeff, look at the card first. Although I have had a number of quirky GoPro things, like not turning off and having to pull the battery, I haven't had any corruption issues. Not an option with GoPro, but I started recording to dual media a couple of years ago due to a general mistrust of media. The SDHC/SDXC/miniSd are all more fragile that CF cards, and as Jeff alluded to, I have more than my share of those . That being said, I don't know many people who put the demands on them that I do. I just got six new 32gb Lexar CF cards, and six 64gb SDXC's for the a sony video.

I bought two 480gb SanDisk SSD units for the Atomos products. Atomos understandably suggests SSD memory for most anything out if the studio environment.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Thanks Jim.

Would a 22lb capacity ballhead hold 1DIV & 70-200 comfortably?

MMcGrath

Jeff W. wrote:
jerboyd wrote:

Jeff

I love this shot. Maybe not for the FedEx jet, but those that are just the right of it. Love the KC-135!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy
www.boyd.zenfolio.com

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy. I'm also found of that particular squadron. My father served with the Copperheads in the late '50's and early '60's. At that time they were a fighter squadron and flew F-86's and F-104's. About 30-minutes after I took that first image, the Copperheads color bird taxied to the active. I got luck and caught it just before it departed. This ones for you Jeremy

Jeff,

Lovely light on that.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

JWilsonphoto wrote:
OK Glenn, time to get serious about 120fps...............

That is some quality production right there! its so far away at this point, but i declare 2015 the year of video!

Glenn

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Hi Mark:
You didnt mention what GoPro you had, but with my ver3 i've never had any issues like you describe. It has a lot of other problems, but not that one!

Glenn

MMcGrath

Glenn,

It's a Hero 3 black edition. Probs have only shown up past few days.

Mark

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Go4Long wrote
Jim:

Glad to hear you got AutoPano working. It is an incredible program.

While I was in Vancouver I finally managed to revisit the location of the old Panorama and get the shot that I had wanted. This one is shot with the Zeiss Distagon 21mm. Can anyone explain the curvature of the reflection? It's in the original shots both horizontal and portrait orientation, and I just can't come up with a good reason why light is bending like that.:

False Creek 2014 by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Steve2, I would hazard a guess that it's the barrel distortion of the individual Distagon frames you're seeing in the final stitched pano. Nice pano, by the way.

JWilsonphoto

I was trying to figure out if it had anything to do with the flow of the river, but it couldn't because it's definitely barrel . Funny, the reflections of the lights to the right don't exhibit it.

JWilsonphoto

All of my GoPros are 3Blacks, never updated. I'd go to the GoPro users forum and see what the folks there say. All the models have definitely had their quirks. On the other hand, what can you get, in that form factor, that does stuff anywhere near as cool as that little box? I've been holding off on the GP4 just because I'm growing weary of being a test dummy.

JWilsonphoto

While Drobo is scratching their collective heads, or not, I have seemingly cured my 5D at home, but the 5D at HQ is doing the same thing now. So far all they have said is that they are thinking about creating a special firmware update for me. I question why I would need a special firmware update.

When and if I ever get my QNAP reinstated, my Drobos will gradually go away.

MMcGrath

JWilsonphoto wrote:
All of my GoPros are 3Blacks, never updated. I'd go to the GoPro users forum and see what the folks there say. All the models have definitely had their quirks. On the other hand, what can you get, in that form factor, that does stuff anywhere near as cool as that little box? I've been holding off on the GP4 just because I'm growing weary of being a test dummy.

Thanks Jim,

I'll try the GoPro forums.

Mark

Go4Long

stevez wrote:
Steve2, I would hazard a guess that it's the barrel distortion of the individual Distagon frames you're seeing in the final stitched pano. Nice pano, by the way.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I was trying to figure out if it had anything to do with the flow of the river, but it couldn't because it's definitely barrel . Funny, the reflections of the lights to the right don't exhibit it.

Funny part of it is that I thought it could be Barrel at first too, so I went back and checked it out.

This image is a full width shot, cropped some dark water off the bottom, but the strange part of it to me is that the light to the right hand side of the frame is still bending right...it's a head scratcher.

BC Place by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Go4Long

MMcGrath wrote:
Thanks Jim.

Would a 22lb capacity ballhead hold 1DIV & 70-200 comfortably?

You'd be a little less than half of the capacity, so yes, Should do great. I had my 400mm 2.8 and D3s and a 22lb capacity head once. It was slightly less than stable.

MMcGrath

Steve,

Thanks. I've ordered a Gitzo GH1780QD from B&H.

Mark

MMcGrath

Go4Long wrote:
stevez wrote:

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Funny part of it is that I thought it could be Barrel at first too, so I went back and checked it out.

This image is a full width shot, cropped some dark water off the bottom, but the strange part of it to me is that the light to the right hand side of the frame is still bending right...it's a head scratcher.

BC Place by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Steve,

How does the SOC shot look in terms of distortion? It looks like it might be software induced.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

A Boeing 757-200 arriving in the gloaming on RWY 26 at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

Bonus internet points for use of the word 'gloaming'. You don't hear that enough these days.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

futurshox wrote:
Bonus internet points for use of the word 'gloaming'. You don't hear that enough these days.

Trying to round out my limited English vocabulary. Thanks for noticing Jo

JWilsonphoto

I believe Mr. Zim has waxed eloquently using that term as well Excellent word guys! Excellent shot Jeff!

Steven, what direction is the current flowing?

1       2       3              4025      
       4027              4533       4534       end