Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4011

1       2       3              4011      
       4013              4531       4532       end

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Glenn Watson wrote:
I apologize - I forgot if anybody else lives in Chandler and I didnt want to leave anybody out but pretty sure that was directed at you Jay! Kinda short notice so no worries if you cant make it dude.

Glenn

Safe travels Glenn. Your imagery should knock them dead at ICAS.

After posting this as a color image - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4385#12729272, I got to thinking this Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone might be a good candidate for conversion to monochrome. I wondered if the "gritty" details, textures and contrasts (the things that originally attracted me to photograph this radial engine) might become more impactful if the color was removed. I decided to challenge myself further by making the conversion completely in Lightroom, rather than using my standard workflow with the plug-in - Silver Efex Pro 2 in Photoshop. Nothing wrong with SEP2, but I wanted to explore the full potential for monochrome conversions in LR. I performed the initial conversion using the "HSL/Color/B&W" adjustment module and used the "Split Toning" adjustments to create my interpretation of a platinum/palladium toned image. I also cropped the image from the native 3:2 aspect ratio to a more traditional 5:4/8x10 framing. I wondered if the color version I posted had an "off-center" or "right-heavy" feel in my original framing (no crop used). By going to the 5:4/8x10 crop, I was able to bring the Wright R-3350 more to the center. I'm not 100% convinced that is the best framing to present this subject. I sometimes think that having the primary subject a slightly off-center creates a more interesting image?

Enough said on my end. Comments and criticisms are encouraged and appreciated.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 986

Dear Jeff, first up, thank you for continuing to post your fine images here – much appreciated.
Regarding the “3350”. I enjoyed both versions. I think the revised crop in the B&W works well – just as you intended. I also like the B&W version better (though there is nothing “wrong” with the colour original). I find the colour version looks a little sad. Now this is just me – I love to see old machinery of all sorts working. Statics under cover in a museum are just about OK. Statics outside or in bone yards I just find … uncomfortable. Your B&W version lifts the mood and allows me to study all the detail on that fantastic engine. I'm imagining all the gang saws and milling machines making the air cooling fins.
Yes, your right – I need to get out more …....

DanNehmer
Total Posts: 313

Jay,

First contact is an awesome photo but...... Just wondering if you got into Jeff's medicine cabnet

Thanks for sharing,
Dan

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

Google (the new owners of Nik) were great -emailed them with the installation problem and they replied with a link to a free download to the latest version. 1DX arrived today - it will be a steep learning curve
Niall

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

Created a fun flight this past Sat morning for my oldest son Max's 9th birthday. He loves this CJ-6 and has been begging to go up in it for about a year. Told him to come out with me to the airport as the owner was going to let him sit in the plane so I could grab some pics. I buckled him in and told him I needed to grab my camera. Then Scott (the owner) came over and said he was hungry and needed to go to Coolidge, AZ for breakfast. Max started to unbuckle the harness. Scott stopped him and said "There's no time for that!", rebuckled his harness, closed the canopy and started the engine. Only then did Max figure it out and the grin still hasn't left his face!

Had a friend join up on the way home!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

Great fun Rob! I shot some clips with the X70 today on the way to JAX, seems very intuitive, kind of like I wanted the 180 to be....but it wasn't. The quality looks very good. I haven't had time to run it through the Samurai Blade yet. How do I get those XDAVC clips into FCPX?

yipDog
Total Posts: 148

Thanks Jim!
Try this:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202252

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Lots Of Personality...

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Great story and experience Rob!

Erich

Jeff W.

nickjohnson wrote:
Dear Jeff, first up, thank you for continuing to post your fine images here – much appreciated.
Regarding the “3350”. I enjoyed both versions. I think the revised crop in the B&W works well – just as you intended. I also like the B&W version better (though there is nothing “wrong” with the colour original). I find the colour version looks a little sad. Now this is just me – I love to see old machinery of all sorts working. Statics under cover in a museum are just about OK. Statics outside or in bone yards I just find … uncomfortable. Your B&W version lifts the mood and allows me to study all the detail on that fantastic engine. I'm imagining all the gang saws and milling machines making the air cooling fins.
Yes, your right – I need to get out more …....

Thank you for the thoughtful comments Nick. I also like the B&W version, but several of my comrades on the AzAP website (http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=2666.msg54754#msg54754) like the color version. Different strokes....

I'm considering having a metallic print made of the color version. For "exhibition" quality B&W prints I use http://www.jeffgaydashstudios.com. Does any of our MA2A folks have recommendations for a lab that does excellent metallic printing? I've gotten a reference in the past for http://www.magnachrome.com, but I have no experience with them.

Here is a good looking tail-dragger from Saturday's breakfast fly-in at Coolidge.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Well Jim, you just cost me some retirement $$$.

The following gear will be delivered Friday:

Nikon D810 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
EN-EL 15 Lithium-Ion Battery (spare)
SB-910 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash
32GB Professional 1066x Compact Flash Memory Card (UDMA 7, 2-Pack)  
AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens
AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens  
Lexar 32GB SDHC Memory Card Professional (2-Pack) Class 10 600x

A follow up order will be made in a couple of weeks to replace the 7D and 100-400 combo.

TOPP edit:
I am excited to see how my landscapes come out with the D810...

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

Nice Eddie,
You musta lost that shotgun from the one you posed with a few years back. Maybe add a double barrel 12g to the list for the next prowler.
Man that's alot of cotton !

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4093

Nice List Eddie

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2448

I'm finding the guide that came with my Canon 1Dx a bit small print for my ageing eyes. Does anyone know of a good 3rd party guide book?
Niall

Wrei

Niall, I download the manual to my computer so I can enlarge it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#BrochuresAndManuals

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

Congratulations Wrei! You are going to love all of that gear. There will be no buyer's remorse with that list. I currently shoot 80% of my assignments with the D810's.

Larry Grace called me rom ICAS this evening. AFW 2015 will feature The Breitling Team and The Blues. Buckle up Glenn! We may need us a Mitchell to compliment the 36, both would be plenty busy. And I am not sleeping in......!

Day two is in the archives, only 13 more to go and I'll be in a first class seat headed west

Rob, the clips from the X70 are stunning, pre-post, thanks for the link. I can hardly wait to see what they look like when I get the Samurai tuned up.

Wrei

Jim, you and Glenn's enthusiasm for the D800/810 has had me interested for a while now. I have spent the last couple of days reading the manual and I can't wait to start playing with some of the features. Hope to finish the manual by Friday. I know I won't be taking photos up to ya'lls standards, however, I am gonna work on it!

Jeff W.

When I was a kid (nearly a million years ago), this was only second to the F-104 as my favorite airplane. Thank goodness the Pima Air & Space Museum keeps one around for me to drool on

Wrei

Me too Jeff!

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

Wish I could have seen one fly. Four J-79's.

1       2       3              4011      
       4013              4531       4532       end