Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/4011

1       2       3              4011      
       4013              4133       4134       end

gmthomp
Total Posts: 46

Dan - wonderful photo...I've been trying to determine what breed is your dog.

bobl
Total Posts: 2747

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 1994

No card from me, but Merry Christmas, everyone.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4218

Quite possibly the perfect way to spend an afternoon with friends...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 2962

That's a great shot of the Remos, Jay. But I can't quite make out who that is in the right seat next to me...

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2745

FYI, live space walk in NASA TV as they try to replace a failed cooling system pump. Been going for 3 hours so far, may have another 4 to go:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#.UrWuRbSBXY0

Mark

Wrei
Total Posts: 2097

Several of my many projects while a safety/quality engineer supporting NASA involved the ISS ammonia cooling system. That system could possibly be the death of the ISS. The main purpose was to eliminate the noise from cooling fans in the equipment areas. It was interesting watching what was a good idea grow a system to where it may not have been a good idea. First, because the ammonia chilled water for cooling, this increased the cost of equipment we built to be installed in the racks. The equipment had to have inlet/outlet quick disconnects (QD) that were 3 fault tolerant (you can't have nasty water leaking in electrical areas). There was only one company who made the QDs at the time and they charged $10k each, meaning the cost of the equipment was increased by $20k. (I actually wrote a technical letter to the NASA safety panel to get this changed. The safety chairman told me while the panel agreed with my analysis, they were not going to change the requirement.)

Then, ammonia, being ammonia, began to leak at the fittings. We manufactured tools Boeing designed for spacewalks to repair the fittings. Getting those simple tools approved for flight and used for Extra-Vehicular-Activity (EVA) were very high. Then they realized the leaking ammonia might contaminate the EVA suits and cause contamination in the airlock to the crew. One of our engineers was prototyping a hand held analyzer to sniff out various hazardous gas/liquid contaminates, including ammonia. NASA found out about the device and wanted to fly it...a prototype. The problem, this device lived on the engineer's desk (well actually it sat on his file cabinet), we had no parts traceability and no certifications for materials. I was directed to do a safety analysis and prepare a flight safety report to NASA so we could get a certificate for safety to fly on the Shuttle and ISS and to be used for EVA. I was last on the agenda for the safety presentation. Before I presented my analysis, the chairman cleared the room of all personnel leaving just him, the secretary, and me. My presentation to the safety chairman was basically void of every safety requirement and I presented it in a way where most any safety/technical person would have asked about 20 questions. I got none and the safety chairman signed the certificate of flight safety at the end of the meeting! It flew a few days later on the shuttle to the ISS.

When I worked in the refinery on a unit that used ammonia in the chillers to separate wax, the first thing the Stillman told me when we met was "if you smell ammonia, it's too late". (Two people had ammonia poisoning while I was there, one died.) I just think the ammonia idea is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7174

Something in the Christmas spirit from four years ago, lost this cuddly bundle of fun (30 pound baby) after a diagnosis of diabetes, due to complications, 8 Nov 13, he was just about 12 years old. RIP Felix.

This shot was twenty attempts to keep the hat on, back up, and he'd tilt his head ever so slightly when I lifted the camera.

msalvetti

Wow, interesting stuff, Ray. I was listening to the audio as the astronauts were periodically asked to inspect one another's suits. I missed why. I don't think it was ammonia (I don't think they hadn't broken any fittings yet, just electrical connectors). Maybe fraying/damage from rubbing against things.

Edit: I take that back. Around 10am they had disconnected four fluid lines to the ammonia pump, so I'm sure they were looking for frozen ammonia snow on the suits.

Laura, so sorry to hear about Felix. He was a handsome cat.

Mark

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

I'm sorry for your loss of Felix, too, he looks lovely. Is that a friend I see sitting behind him? I hope you can comfort each other.
Felix must have been well behaved if that is a cat treat by his paws. My Smokey wouldn't leave one sitting there for that long!

bobl
Total Posts: 2747

Laura,
So sad to hear about Felix. I'm sure he was a great buddy

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 2962

RIP, Felix. Laura, I'm sorry you had to lose him.

As a little memorial to Felix, and to help you all get in the Christmas spirit, here's a video clip of my chorus, Sound of the Rockies, singing Ave Maria last week during our holiday show.

http://youtu.be/dTenNF_Un7I

You can hear the entire performance rebroadcast on the KEZW-AM 1430 live stream, tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm MST.

http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/KEZWAM

www.studio1430.com

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1409

Picked up some Moab Slickrock Metallic 8.5x11 sheets to try out and see if I should buy a roll of it to play around with...first test print is coming off the 1900 now (9900 can't do borderless 8.5x11)

Wasn't sure what to print so I just went with the picture I posted above of Ainsley sitting on the rocks. I've gotta say, I'm impressed by the results...maybe not so much for portrait stuff, but I could see Jim's Talon image of the Talon basically silhouetted over the lake as taking on a whole other dimension on this media. Really neat feel to it , and excellent color rendition...just thought I would toss that in there for those of you that do your own printing.

If anyone has something that they'd like to see on it fire it my way...pay the postage and I'll fire it back to you. Just trying to get a feel for how various images look on it so that I can decide whether or not to go forward with the paper or not.

If it fits in an 8.5x11 sheet it's all yours

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4218

@ Zim: Pretty sure you had Eric in the right seat at that point.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 700

Go4Long wrote:
Picked up some Moab Slickrock Metallic 8.5x11 sheets to try out and see if I should buy a roll of it to play around with...first test print is coming off the 1900 now (9900 can't do borderless 8.5x11)

Wasn't sure what to print so I just went with the picture I posted above of Ainsley sitting on the rocks. I've gotta say, I'm impressed by the results...maybe not so much for portrait stuff, but I could see Jim's Talon image of the Talon basically silhouetted over the lake as taking on a whole other dimension on this media. Really neat feel to it , and excellent color rendition...just thought I would toss that in there for those of you that do your own printing.

If anyone has something that they'd like to see on it fire it my way...pay the postage and I'll fire it back to you. Just trying to get a feel for how various images look on it so that I can decide whether or not to go forward with the paper or not.

If it fits in an 8.5x11 sheet it's all yours

Steven, is that the "silver" or the "pearl" your trying out?

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 1994

Sorry to hear about Felix. Ginger is our oldest dog and is almost 14 years old. She is a Red Heeler/ Boykin Spaniel mix and she has been such a great dog all these years. In the last three months, she has had more trouble getting around. She slips and falls on the floor and has a lot of trouble getting up on her favorite bed, also known as the coach. When the time comes, she will be deeply missed.

As a tribute to Felix...

Someday we will all meet again at the Rainbow Bridge . . .

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7174

Thanks Mark, Jo, Bob, Steve, and COlin.

Jo, yes, there's Jerri sitting behind him, luckily by the time this shot happened, the other cats were all bored trying to photobomb And yes, that was a treat on the floor, Felix was definitely a well behaved tabby. There are still five cats here, but Felix is still missed. I know he's better off though, as he's no longer in any pain. He was pretty miserable the last day.

Thanks for that version of Ave Maria, Steve, not what I expected to hear, but very lovely! I expected something more like this, which was also sung at my husband's funeral last year. I'll listen in tomorrow (4pm Eastern)

Thanks for that Rainbow Bridge, Colin. I told Felix to go find my husband and jump on his lap It's difficult to make the decision, but I know that I also couldn't let him stay in that much pain either. Hope you get many more painless years with Ginger

RobMoser
Total Posts: 823

Wrei wrote:
Several of my many projects while a safety/quality engineer supporting NASA involved the ISS ammonia cooling system. That system could possibly be the death of the ISS. The main purpose was to eliminate the noise from cooling fans in the equipment areas. It was interesting watching what was a good idea grow a system to where it may not have been a good idea. First, because the ammonia chilled water for cooling, this increased the cost of equipment we built to be installed in the racks. The equipment had to have inlet/outlet quick disconnects (QD) that were 3 fault tolerant (you can't have nasty water leaking in electrical areas). There was only one company who made the QDs at the time and they charged $10k each, meaning the cost of the equipment was increased by $20k. (I actually wrote a technical letter to the NASA safety panel to get this changed. The safety chairman told me while the panel agreed with my analysis, they were not going to change the requirement.)

Then, ammonia, being ammonia, began to leak at the fittings. We manufactured tools Boeing designed for spacewalks to repair the fittings. Getting those simple tools approved for flight and used for Extra-Vehicular-Activity (EVA) were very high. Then they realized the leaking ammonia might contaminate the EVA suits and cause contamination in the airlock to the crew. One of our engineers was prototyping a hand held analyzer to sniff out various hazardous gas/liquid contaminates, including ammonia. NASA found out about the device and wanted to fly it...a prototype. The problem, this device lived on the engineer's desk (well actually it sat on his file cabinet), we had no parts traceability and no certifications for materials. I was directed to do a safety analysis and prepare a flight safety report to NASA so we could get a certificate for safety to fly on the Shuttle and ISS and to be used for EVA. I was last on the agenda for the safety presentation. Before I presented my analysis, the chairman cleared the room of all personnel leaving just him, the secretary, and me. My presentation to the safety chairman was basically void of every safety requirement and I presented it in a way where most any safety/technical person would have asked about 20 questions. I got none and the safety chairman signed the certificate of flight safety at the end of the meeting! It flew a few days later on the shuttle to the ISS.

When I worked in the refinery on a unit that used ammonia in the chillers to separate wax, the first thing the Stillman told me when we met was "if you smell ammonia, it's too late". (Two people had ammonia poisoning while I was there, one died.) I just think the ammonia idea is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Sort of like the great idea of using pure oxygen in a capsule? Yeah, wonderful ideas...

Rob

msalvetti

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Sorry to hear about Felix. Ginger is our oldest dog and is almost 14 years old. She is a Red Heeler/ Boykin Spaniel mix and she has been such a great dog all these years. In the last three months, she has had more trouble getting around. She slips and falls on the floor and has a lot of trouble getting up on her favorite bed, also known as the coach. When the time comes, she will be deeply missed.

Colin, you may want to check out Home Depot for some inexpensive carpet runners. We had them around on our hardwood floors the last couple of years we had our GSD Kelsey. They made a big difference in her being able to get around without falling. We lost her almost a year ago, she would have been 15 last April.

Mark

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1409

nickjohnson wrote:

Steven, is that the "silver" or the "pearl" your trying out?

I'm trying out the pearl. I took a look at the silver on their sample rack, but it was a bit to much of a novelty item for my taste.

1       2       3              4011      
       4013              4133       4134       end