Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3972

1       2       3              3972      
3973
       3974              4253       4254       end

MrPlastic
Registered: Feb 28, 2008
Total Posts: 290
Country: United States

Interesting Kickstarter for an intervalometer/modular sensor trigger: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/triggertrap/triggertrap-redsnap-modular-camera-trigger

I'm thinking of all sorts of things that this would be good for:
# Capturing gunshots for shooting sports
# Ball-on-bat shots
# Wildlife cams
...

Anybody pledged on/considered the Redsnap?

Mike

Edit for TOPP:

Fluid Lines


(Most of you have probably seen these pipes, hoses, and control lines. Can you name the aircraft?)



Bill Gass
Registered: Feb 09, 2006
Total Posts: 3840
Country: United States

I love kickstarter.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

Shutter Speed Calibration and Sensor Cleanliness Checking device in flight...



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

Similar Device .. Danish Version



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3215
Country: United States

Jay, that last one is so dramatic. Is it really that pearlescent green?



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
Jay, that last one is so dramatic. Is it really that pearlescent green?


Yup...

Jeff Welker can attest as well that the Danish birds were not just flat OD.



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2186
Country: United States

Given what our Brittish and European divisions have contributed here, supported by our AZ locals, in my opinion, the Europeans win the award for best aircraft paint schemes. BTW, when are we going to see more Tiger paint jobs? I enjoy those.



Rusty1
Registered: Oct 05, 2004
Total Posts: 820
Country: United States

A classic bird still looking good








FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

Wrei wrote:
Given what our Brittish and European divisions have contributed here, supported by our AZ locals, in my opinion, the Europeans win the award for best aircraft paint schemes. BTW, when are we going to see more Tiger paint jobs? I enjoy those.


I've often wondered why the USAF and USN never went for more "stylish" Demo Team paint jobs (back before they squashed the single-ship demos that is...) Witness the Canadian F/A-18 Demo. Beautiful paint full of national pride.

They always seemed to make such a big deal out of the fact that "these jets could be combat-ready in 24 hours..." blah, blah, blah...



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2186
Country: United States

Jay, I could write a story about painting USAF birds, to to keep it simple, you are correct.

This F-16, from our unit, was loaned to Boeing to use for their QF-16 Drone proposal to the USAF (which they won). Prior to returning it to our unit, and because the bird was going into the museum inventory, the museum required Boeing (as part of appreciation for using the aircraft) to paint it in the Air to Air paint scheme prior to mounting it for display at Camp Mabry, Austin, TX.







Ryan Harris
Registered: Jun 02, 2013
Total Posts: 64
Country: United States

The Air Force Museum also required your unit F-4 be repainted in Vietnam markings instead of the grey on grey markings with the fin flash that nearly all 111th F-4's were known for. There was also a directive from the museum at one point that no statics were allowed to have weapons attached. No sure if that still stands though.

I always liked that 90th paint scheme and wish you guys were still here punching holes in the sky. I could always count on the morning mission coming back around 9:30 each day to start the day right.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

One of the best DoD "oversight" stories I've ever heard goes something like this:

B-52 on loan for static display in front of the Yankee Air Force facility in Michigan. Big deal getting it trucked in, put back together, and dedicated... All the paperwork gets signed off, handshakes all around, etc, etc, etc...

Several months pass and a big winter storm blows in. About a week later, DoD reps show up at the museum asking why the B-52 was moved? Museum folks swear up and down that nobody messed with the BUFF.

Apparently, the wind had been strong enough to shove the B-52 just enough that the eyes in the sky detected that it have been moved!

Sleep Tight America!



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2186
Country: United States

Guess that is why they prefer popsicles







By the way, pilot's name on the canopy sill is Lt. George W. Bush...or it was.


Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2186
Country: United States

Ryan, are you talking about our entire fleet being painted Vietnam Camo? We were an Air Defense unit and were authorized the grey paint. We received the bulk of our F-4 C's from Homestead and Luke. They came to us in the Air to Ground (green) Camo scheme. As we sent them to Depot maintenance, 600 hour inspections, they came back painted in the Air Superiority Gloss Grey. When we got our F-4D models, the USAF modified the paint from gloss to the grey Camo scheme. We have had the Texas flag lighting bolt since the F-101 days. That was designed for our first F-101 William Tell meet in 1976.



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

Handy Lightroom Tip...

I was getting into some heavy culling and wanted to find a way to sort down to ONLY those raw files that were untouched. No tweaks and no crops.

I built a custom sorting preset like this and it seems to be doing the trick:

Start by opening your Library Filter, and then your fields should be:
1) Dates: All
2) Cameras: All
3) Lens: All
4) Label: All (1 Label .. Nothing should have a color)
Add Column
5) File Type: RAW
Add Column
6) Develop Preset: Default Settings

Save this as a Custom Library File and it can be applied to any folder in any catalog!

Set up your sort per the above columns, and you should be left with nothing but unedited raw files ready to cull some more!

Bonus: If you DO see a stray file listed in another row of info, chances are pretty good that it's either a file you meant to flag as a PICK or a file you meant to flag as a REJECT.

What this also does is allow you to simply walk through a folder with the P or X keys and as you choose which way to go, the files vanish from your screen. Then you can go back and sort by PICK or REJECT and either work on the Picks or blow out the Rejects in one go!



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3215
Country: United States

Wrei wrote:
Guess that is why they prefer popsicles

By the way, pilot's name on the canopy sill is Lt. George W. Bush...or it was.


Did W ever fly the Lawn Dart?



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4371
Country: United States

I seem to recall he did...



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 3215
Country: United States

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Handy Lightroom Tip...

I was getting into some heavy culling and wanted to find a way to sort down to ONLY those raw files that were untouched. No tweaks and no crops.

I built a custom sorting preset like this and it seems to be doing the trick:

Start by opening your Library Filter, and then your fields should be:
1) Dates: All
2) Cameras: All
3) Lens: All
4) Label: All (1 Label .. Nothing should have a color)
Add Column
5) File Type: RAW
Add Column
6) Develop Preset: Default Settings

Save this as a Custom Library File and it can be applied to any folder in any catalog!

Set up your sort per the above columns, and you should be left with nothing but unedited raw files ready to cull some more!

Bonus: If you DO see a stray file listed in another row of info, chances are pretty good that it's either a file you meant to flag as a PICK or a file you meant to flag as a REJECT.

What this also does is allow you to simply walk through a folder with the P or X keys and as you choose which way to go, the files vanish from your screen. Then you can go back and sort by PICK or REJECT and either work on the Picks or blow out the Rejects in one go!


Jay, this looks really useful. But how does it distinguish between untouched RAW files and those that have been selected and/or manipulated already?

I tend to apply the standard Punch preset or a homegrown Performance preset, on import. Is there a way to build the filter to allow for Default, Punch and Peroformance images that have otherwise not been touched?



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 15945
Country: United States

Yes, he did.



Wrei
Registered: Aug 01, 2008
Total Posts: 2186
Country: United States

Yes, George W. Bush flew the F-102, and I had the pleasure of launching him when he flew.



1       2       3              3972      
3973
       3974              4253       4254       end