Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3929

1       2       3              3929      
       3931              4397       4398       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16426

I think you are correct in your subject motion thought. At the slower shutter speeds any little input, a thermal, a little aileron or rudder, will cause that. You can tell the difference between camera motion and subject motion by looking at the grain sharpness, if nothing is sharp, the problem resides at the camera, if the grain i sharp, but he subject appears a bit "3D-ish", then it's the subject.

Sorry about the politics, I hate that, but it pops up everywhere. The older I get the less patience I have for it. I'm getting to the point where my default is to quietly distance myself at the first hint. I realize that, because my opportunities are plentiful, that's a luxury not everyone has, but I find walking away is like cutting off oxygen to a fire.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1961

The Welker sick ward is full up. My better half is ill, the grandkids are sick, and I'm playing Florence Nightingale without the proper credentials. I've got everyone down for an early nap so I decided to play with an image before I make my next rounds.

A Viking by the tail…

Electronic Attack Squadron One Two Nine (VAQ-129)

RobMoser
Total Posts: 843

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

A few from earlier this year.

Rob

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3675

nice angle on that B17 Rob have a great time

SkyStills
Total Posts: 89

Dave

Jan-Arie

Cool stuff Dave

Baywing
Total Posts: 436

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I think you are correct in your subject motion thought. At the slower shutter speeds any little input, a thermal, a little aileron or rudder, will cause that. You can tell the difference between camera motion and subject motion by looking at the grain sharpness, if nothing is sharp, the problem resides at the camera, if the grain i sharp, but he subject appears a bit "3D-ish", then it's the subject.

Sorry about the politics, I hate that, but it pops up everywhere. The older I get the less patience I have for it. I'm getting to the point where my default is to quietly distance myself at the first hint. I realize that, because my opportunities are plentiful, that's a luxury not everyone has, but I find walking away is like cutting off oxygen to a fire.

Thanks Jim. I suspect that motion is the culprit as math shows a plane moving at 70mph moves almost 10" during a 1/125 sec exposure. The greater the level of magnification (longer the lens) the more obvious this is going to be. The answer would appear to be to avoid the head-on shots and go more to the sides where panning is useful. However, we have already seen the effects of the changes in angular velocity that result in sharp noses and slightly OOF tails. As in most things photographic, it's all about trade-offs.

Politics are what they are and I can't change that. I don't get paid, so it was easy to walk away when the "new" management shut off my photo ops in favor of their friends. None of them are left, but it will take me time and effort to prove myself to the newest group. There are a few of the old timers around, but they also have to prove themselves. The important thing is that the right people appear to be in charge now.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2675

At Road Atlanta shooting grounded fliers this weekend. Excuse the quality, it's just the tiny preview jpeg from the RAW file. No good editing stuff on the laptop.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

I am hearing that with the A2A being cancelled that Devil Dog is likely not going too. There has been some confusion back n forth on that, but that is how I currently understand it.

JWilsonphoto

You are correct Brian, DD was only going for my client air to airs and they had a very significant schedule change, which made the assignment too much of a challenge to execute. Sure wish we could have pulled it off, but too many moving parts, too much uncertainty, what we do is way too safety critical to risk patching something together in a rush. I appreciate Beth, Gunny and the crew being available for me and look forward to the next opportunity, the one that really happens!

JWilsonphoto

When people allow me to do what I do, they generally like the results. A day when everything did work.........

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3166

Picking 172DL up from the shop in Taylor at 0900 tomorrow and depending if we're picking up Wrei or not on the way should arrive between 1030 and 1130. See ya'll tomorrow!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3513

Arrived safely at HQ yesterday in the Remos just after Al and Jay pulled in. I have never seen so many bug carcasses attached to the leading edges in my life: apparently the recent rains in TX have unleashed a new crop of the beasties, several of which were so large I heard them die, even over the roar of the engine and through my noise-canceling Lightspeed Zulu headset.

HQ is immaculate and I'm looking forward to hanging out there today and committing a little aviation with good friends. You never know, someone may take a photo or two.

Jan-Arie

Go back to bed great to see that you have made it have a great time and say Hi to everybody..

futurshox
Total Posts: 2448

It is 05:30 now; I am heading out in 20 minutes or so, ETA 10-ish I guess. See y'all there!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7912

Y'all have fun now, y'hear? Sad I'm going to miss this year's gathering, but maybe some year soon I'll make another trip.

Chainshot
Total Posts: 215

Tim Adams wrote:
At Road Atlanta shooting grounded fliers this weekend. Excuse the quality, it's just the tiny preview jpeg from the RAW file. No good editing stuff on the laptop.

Hope the rain holds off for Sat.! I've been going since '98. I also remember the '09 monsoon there, too.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1786

Jan-Arie wrote:
Cool stuff Dave

Jan-Arie
Presumably these were from the show the first weekend in October this year? I missed it because we were driving back from my wife's 35yr medical school reunion - I have gone to most Shuttleworth airshows over the last three years (except when the forecast looked awful) and have yet to see the very early stuff fly (always too windy)!!
Niall

Jan-Arie

Your Correct Niall

RobMoser
Total Posts: 843

End of a really fine day at HQ.

Thanks, Jim!

Rob

1       2       3              3929      
       3931              4397       4398       end