Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3917

1       2       3              3917      
       3919              4532       4533       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

ELinder wrote:
I think I do too. Of course, there's also pushing the idea a bit too far, which I have a tendency to do. Then i think it loses too much context.

Erich

Agreed: you could have shot the FA-18 on the ground and then just rotated the frame.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

I'd go with the slightly wider crop Erich as that makes a more "graphic" shape which gives a sense of direction and motion...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

Hey Steve, do you have a particular workflow to create the 3D pairs?
I find myself dropping one half into Photoshop, making the canvas twice the width, dropping the other one in and that works. But I find getting the logos to match properly is tricky, if I want them to float on top. Do you have a method for that?

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Thanks for all the feedback.

For the logos in 3D pairs, I've dropped it into the corners, then using the arrow keys move them a certain number of pixels, offsetting them laterally by however many pixels the main image is also shifted.

Erich

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

futurshox wrote:
Hey Steve, do you have a particular workflow to create the 3D pairs?
I find myself dropping one half into Photoshop, making the canvas twice the width, dropping the other one in and that works. But I find getting the logos to match properly is tricky, if I want them to float on top. Do you have a method for that?

[The following discussion pertains to the construction of a stereo-X pair, where your left eye looks at the right hand image of the pair and your right eye looks at the left hand image. In my workflow, in fact, I generate a left-right-left triptych and crop to whichever pair of images I need for the expected viewing setup.]

I put both images in PS, overlay and register them (more art than science!) crop them to the same size, double the size of the canvas to the right and then move the left-eye image over to the open side of the canvas until it's adjacent to the right-eye image. Then I layer on two copies of my logo, set the opacity of both to 70%, move them to the general area of the frame where I want the logo to sit and register them each to the same feature in the two frames. Then I nudge the logo in the right hand frame a few pixels to the left, in order to give the illusion that the logo is floating in front of the landscape; in order to understand why this works, think about the geometry of parallax governing an object in the foreground vs. an object in the background.

There are some subtleties to the initial registration-and-crop step: sometimes, for instance, I have to scale one or the other of the frames by a percent or two, depending on the relative motion of my eye point to the scene, in the field, when I shot the two frames in succession. The good news is that your visual system is very adaptable and the stereo effect appears without your having to get the registration exactly 'right', whatever that means.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Erich,

You could probably do a 3:2 crop & get the gear in. Would probably take you to just behind the canopy.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

The close in 3:2 crop with the gear in frame felt too top heavy. Lots more images to go thru, I was at the show all three days.

Steve, what do you use the parallel image pair for?

Erich

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

Thank you Steve. Good to know I'm in the right general ballpark. More practice is required!

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

A "Flying Forehead" from down-under making an early morning arrival at LAX.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19268

That is a beautiful little piece of real estate for sure Zim!

JWilsonphoto

i'm new to the

nikon number system, but the D750 looks like another home run.

JWilsonphoto

Today was another one for the record books. At 7am I was heading for a shoot based out of Love Field (Kirby Chambliss' aircraft was one subject-Meridian), my cell rings and it's a great client in the oil and gas industry. He is in a panic because he is going to have two 150 million dollar pieces of equipment working side by side just north of Houston today and it's never happened before. He proceeds to tell me he'll do whatever it takes to get me there. I was booked all day at Love. A little creativity gets the Love shoot done by 2:30 and I bolt to Houston. They have a fireproof suit, steel toed boots, hard hat, and the whole rig ready for me. The fire is going to be inside the suit because it's 99 with a THI of 105. Before I get suited up my phone rings, a thunderstorm is keeping him from bring his 429 in for the A2G shoot, bigger problem though is the driver who put one of the 150M$ rigs in a ditch because he pulled too far over on the shoulder of the access road. My message, "You came through for us....we did not come through for you, bill us and be careful going home." There's a book in this whole experience for sure!

PDumm
Total Posts: 204

JWilsonphoto wrote:

i'm new to the

nikon number system, but the D750 looks like another home run.

Did you know some thing we do not.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2013

still rumors, but does look like it will be another solid beast mode camera.

JWilsonphoto

It's a rumor for nine more days, but I have come to trust Nikon rumors because they come true, pretty rapidly, unlike some other manufacturer's rumors. I do wish they would roll out their 17TS/E. I ended up shooting two thirds of the A330 with Canon due to that very problem. You wouldn't think that you would need a 17 to shoot an interior that size, bit it was absolutely perfect.

P.S. The end client decided that they would like to keep the images private, and offered, up front, to compensate me (hugely!!!!!!!!!!!!!) if I would keep them under wraps for a while and, of course, I most graciously acquiesced

JWilsonphoto

Go4Long wrote:
still rumors, but does look like it will be another solid beast mode camera.

Yes Steven, and my guess is it'll come in well under the 7K I have gotten used to parting with for top of the line bodies. Although I plan on getting a D4s, or it's sequel one of these days.

JWilsonphoto

No thoughts on the Sony video camera? I know it's not 4K, but I'm not convinced that I care. The features, quality, and codec flexibility are really appealing .

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

For you AZ photogs, Precious Metal is spending the night in Phoenix.

JWilsonphoto

Had a client call me this morning to book me to shoot his newly, pristinely restored Ford Tri-Motor, a beautiful Tucano, and brand new Phenom 300 A2A. I'm thinking that I know a crew in Austin looking for opportunities We'll practice up at AFW 2014 Glenn, then go off for a few days and do that fleet when the weather cools a bit.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Sounds good. I"m working on a Phenon 300 and 100 2 ship formation flight for a charter on the same timeline. I suppose 3 Phenoms stacked up would be just fine!

Glenn

1       2       3              3917      
       3919              4532       4533       end