gmthomp wrote:
Qantas 747 landing at DFW...

Nikon D4, f8, 1/250, 100, 300mm

That'll be me on the 16th...

Al

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

msalvetti wrote:
Jim, your granddaughter is adorable. That shot is priceless.

Does anyone use the Lowepro Pro Messenger bags? I'm thinking about the 180 or the 200. I have backpacks, and find them useful for hauling a ton of gear to a destination, but they are not very practical when you get there. My main bag is a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 400AW. That's a bit more practical to use onsite than a backpack, but it's really boxy/bulky. Tough to carry over a shoulder.

I think the messenger bags would be ideal. I want to carry at least a gripped body with a 70-200 mounted, a 24-105, a flash, an iPad, and maybe a spare body with no lens. Room for a wider zoom or prime would be nice. I think carrying all this over a shoulder would be painful, but most of the time I'd be carrying one body/lens in my hand, and the bag would be used to conveniently carry the rest.

I played with the 200 last weekend. It would easily fit what I want, but it is big. Hoping I can get away with the 180. Will be trying to pack my gear into each this weekend.

I looked at the similar Think Tanks, and I don't like them.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Mark

You could look at Timbuk2 bags. They do a camera insert for their messenger bags, which come in all sorts of colors and you can customize them. They don't look like camera bags and you can get quite a lot of stuff into the big ones, and they have plenty of room for iPads/computers. They come in three sizes (there's a smaller one but no insert for that one).

Or , I use a Thinktank Retrospective 7 on a daily basis for my general stuff and micro 4/3 system. They make those bigger, too. It is not a messanger bag, but is a shoulder bag. They have nice pockets in the back for iPads etc. Again, they don't look like camera bags which is good in my book.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3367

Dual Spitfire

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3367

Corsair

gmthomp
Total Posts: 46

P51 photo that I took earlier this year - processed with FotoSketcher Vintage Effect...

gmthomp
Total Posts: 46

P51 photo taken earlier this year - before Vintage effect applied.

futurshox

Here's Rare Bear with a swarm of racers behind.

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2745

futurshox wrote:

You could look at Timbuk2 bags. They do a camera insert for their messenger bags, which come in all sorts of colors and you can customize them. They don't look like camera bags and you can get quite a lot of stuff into the big ones, and they have plenty of room for iPads/computers. They come in three sizes (there's a smaller one but no insert for that one).

Or , I use a Thinktank Retrospective 7 on a daily basis for my general stuff and micro 4/3 system. They make those bigger, too. It is not a messanger bag, but is a shoulder bag. They have nice pockets in the back for iPads etc. Again, they don't look like camera bags which is good in my book.

Thanks Jo! I hadn't thought of the Timbuk2 option. Those get pricey pretty quickly. I think I'm asking a lot for a shoulder bag for what I want to stuff in it. Lowepro is often accused of copying the Retrospective line. I was comparing the Lowepro 200 to the Retrospective 20.

I ended up going with the Lowepro 200 today. I was hoping the 180 would work for me, but too small. Even better, both Adorama and B+H have that bag on special for $150, but my store wanted $205 plus tax. I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of being able to walk in and try it, but over $60 more was too much. So I asked what they could do, and they unexpectedly matched the Adorama price.

Mark

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15462

Hi Mark,

I can't help you with the backpack models, but I've used the LowePro X roller cases for years and they are great, tough as nails. They build great stuff.

JWilsonphoto

gmthomp wrote:
Thanks JW - I love this thread...With such volume, aviation should have it's own...

Good point Glenn! We do tend to rock here at MA2A, but I guess this works better for Fred.

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2745

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Mark,

I can't help you with the backpack models, but I've used the LowePro X roller cases for years and they are great, tough as nails. They build great stuff.

Thanks Jim. I love LowePro. I just did a count, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I have 7 of their bags. Two backpacks, two camera bags, two messenger bags I use for work, and a binocular/field guide bag I take birding. Only time I ever had a problem with one, they took care of it right away.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

Coming home at dusk............... Can you imagine trying to shoot this type of scene in the good 'ol days of film?

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

Making the best of a wash out....

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1478

Just downloading stuff .. I wouldn't mind some washed out photos ...

Mr. Thomas Blair emptied his hanger of airplanes for us today, though he didn't fly any of them like in the past.

Tiger Moth

futurshox

astrobrian wrote:

Nice sky/reflections.

Was there much of a show in the end? We certainly got some deluges down here.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2550

Sunday morning before the races.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2097

Lot of clouds but not much rain here 30 minutes south of Waco. I don't think we had 0.1 inch.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

futurshox wrote:
astrobrian wrote:

Nice sky/reflections.

Was there much of a show in the end? We certainly got some deluges down here.

There was a show, but really hard to shoot it. One shower delayed it, and then as soon as our part was over we headed home as another one pretty much had people heading for the exits as we left.

JWilsonphoto

You did good Brian!

JWilsonphoto

1       2       3              3907      
       3909              4137       4138       end