Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3907

1       2       3              3907      
       3909              4533       4534       end

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Waco .. 450 Stearman .. Speedmail

Should have bumped my ISO before we even left the ground. Got caught with DOF too shallow for this shot.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2457

Breitling Wingwalker on a stormy day

nrferguson

stevez wrote:

[edit for TOPP: the Beartooth Highway crest between Red Lodge and Cooke City, Montana. One of the world's great drives...and not too shabby from a small plane, either.]

We will be driving it in about two weeks - looks impressive!
Niall

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 991

Tim Adams wrote:
A video explaining the thrust line change on Voodoo. They are ready to rock this year.

Thanks Tim.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

stevez wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:
Now that sure is some haul road ! Any idea what they are mining?

That's what struck me, too, Nick: how'd you like to drive up and down that set of switchbacks all day? The mine is the Golden Sunlight Mine, and it produces gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sunlight_mine

[edit for TOPP: the Beartooth Highway crest between Red Lodge and Cooke City, Montana. One of the world's great drives...and not too shabby from a small plane, either.]

Boy, you would sure wants your brakes to have your brakes in good shape as you head down that road!

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Anyone used a gimbal with a Canon 300 F2.8 IS?

If so, do I need to turn the IS off when using it.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4122

Man Steve, your crankin the miles up on that plane for sure. Wish I could fly with you on all these trips. Love the pictures.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1071

Nothing screams Airshow Weekend!! like hearing the Blue Angels arrive in town...from 10 miles away.

Erich

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

JWilsonphoto wrote:
stevez wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:
Now that sure is some haul road ! Any idea what they are mining?

That's what struck me, too, Nick: how'd you like to drive up and down that set of switchbacks all day? The mine is the Golden Sunlight Mine, and it produces gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sunlight_mine

Boy, you would sure wants your brakes to have your brakes in good shape as you head down that road!

Quite a few of the mine trucks are diesel electric drive, so when they come down the haul roads, the electric motors provide dynamic braking to a large extent. Caterpillar haul trucks such as the 797B and 793C are powered just like the over the road 18 wheelers are. These haul trucks do not have dynamic braking, so rely on several sets of brake shoes per wheel. Caterpillar has started manufacturing diesel electric drive trucks already, but the size of the Cat trucks are not as large as Liebherr or Komatsu trucks. Still, when a mine truck is hauling in excess of 400 metric tons of ore or coal while traveling up the haul roads, brakes become super critical

FlyingPhotog

A friend suggested tossing this in After Effects and using the particle generator to make better looking flames. Much happier with this concept now...

War Is Hell

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Oooh, I like that a lot too. Since it's has become a total artistic exercise, how about cloning out the gear on the FW?

I also totally missed the smoke plume off the FW in the first rendition. The flames work much better.

Mark

FlyingPhotog

msalvetti wrote:
Oooh, I like that a lot too. Since it's has become a total artistic exercise, how about cloning out the gear on the FW?

I also totally missed the smoke plume off the FW in the first rendition. The flames work much better.

Mark

Dropping the gear was often a sign of surrender (as well as an indication of hydraulic failure) so the gear coming down while being flamed is perfectly correct.

(or so I'm told...)

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3167

Hadn't considered that. Makes sense. Beautiful work.

FlyingPhotog

Just something different.

We spend so much time always trying for tack sharp and such that it's sometimes ok to let the "beast" out and at least try something different, eh?

Carry On...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

I like it.

Another Something Different... the closest I got to flying in Portland (other than on Southwest's finest) was the Aerial Tram - a cable car! Here's a 3D pair taken near the top of the ride.

nrferguson

Another from Red Bull

kwbarnes
Total Posts: 286

FlyingPhotog wrote:
[
Dropping the gear was often a sign of surrender (as well as an indication of hydraulic failure) so the gear coming down while being flamed is perfectly correct.

(or so I'm told...)

The FW 190 had electrically powered landing gear, even the gear locks were electrically activated. I don't think the 190 even had a hydraulic system. I could be wrong about that, but the gear was electrically activated.

Ken

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4085

kwbarnes wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
[

(or so I'm told...)

The FW 190 had electrically powered landing gear, even the gear locks were electrically activated. I don't think the 190 even had a hydraulic system. I could be wrong about that, but the gear was electrically activated.

Ken

There is nothing more horrible than the murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.
-- François Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Reflections; or, Sentences and Moral Maxims (1678)

FlyingPhotog

kwbarnes wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
[

(or so I'm told...)

Ken

Then I'll go with the "I Surrender" theory...

FlyingPhotog

More Madras Mucking About...

1       2       3              3907      
       3909              4533       4534       end