Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3903

1       2       3              3903      
       3905              4533       4534       end

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2457

Phillip
Welcome aboard. This is a great community and all criticism is definitely constructive. We were supposed to be starting a square-rigger cruise from St Maarten a couple of years ago, but the ship had to go into dock so we changed to one starting in Barbados - I managed to see the island from afar but have always wanted to visit. I love P-47 "Jugs" After snafu went stateside last year I don't think there is one flying in the UK at present!
Niall

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

Great stuff Philip and welcome...

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 991

Well, it's been 9 hours . and that's way to long..... so .... send in the clouds.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4085

I reworked this according to what I learned in Jay's post-processing talk at Madras. Thanks, Jay, it makes a real difference!

Which crop do you prefer? I can't do a full-span 3:2 because of the position in the frame.

Ryan Harris
Total Posts: 149

I prefer the tight one Steve, although, I think the first one would look awesome if you were able to let it have more sky.

wizardwig
Total Posts: 18

Hi all and thanks for the numerous & warm welcome, and for checking out my shots.

WW2 aircraft was my first interest in military history from when I was about 10 years old. I learned all sorts of details, specs and histories of the aircraft, and even the difference yet interrelatedness of the Allison & Rolls Royce Merlin inline engines with Mustangs through the D model. I thought it was normal for a 10-12 year old kid. I found out when I started dating in high school that it is not the case.. use your imagination as to what happened in the awkward years after ;-)

I had the fortunate opportunity 15 years ago to ride on a B-17. It was part of a fundraiser for the McMinnville (Oregon) Historical Flight Museum. Below are photos/film scans from before the time I became a more serious photographer. I sat in the tail gunner position as we took off. It was eerie - the craft did not force through the air, rather it floated up like a heavy balloon, yawing in the wind. I was struck by the solitude in the tail position, entirely cut off from anyone else on the plane. I had read about the experiences of tail gunners in this regard, but to experience it was a different matter altogether. It was instantly easy to feel like everyone else on the plane didn't even know that I was there. I felt like a stowaway. If that is anything like how these gunners felt, all the while getting shot at, during the war, well, all I can say is that my respect for such (or any) veterans is even greater.

Quite an eye opener. I hope you enjoy the shots.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Steve,

There's a noticeable difference in the editing. The images on the previous page seem a bit muddy in comparison.

As for which crop, I personally prefer traditional 3:2 crops, however I think the wide crop would look great printed as a wide canvas.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

Watch this Video pretty cool and enjoyable

Warbird Pilot Behind the Visor

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Jimmy Graham, tight end with the New Orleans Saints is an aviation nut:

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/jimmy-graham-flying-high-20140820

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2015

I'm with McGrath there Steve I, I like the second one on my screen, but I think the first would actually be more compelling in print if that makes any sense at all.

PDumm
Total Posts: 204

Early morning.
KPHXDelta-1

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19276

Epic captures Guys, just phenomenal!

kwbarnes
Total Posts: 286

I've encouraged this poster in the Sports forums to give us a visit. A couple more invitations probably wouldn't hurt.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314351

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Batting .750
3 of the 4 radial-powered aircraft operated by Pemberton & Sons Aviation in Spokane, WA
(we were waiting on the awesome Boeing 40C to join up)

FlyingPhotog

Stray Cat Strut...

FlyingPhotog

Nor Gloom Of Night...
Pemberton & Son's amazing Boeing 40C at dusk

FlyingPhotog

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

mmmmmmm......

Dangit, first page!

Well, while you lot were flying around Mount Hood, I was gently ascending it via chairlift... no, we didn't ski.

Oh, and we also headed west to the Evergreen Aviation Museum. The Spruce Goose is one big aeroplane!

FlyingPhotog

Das Ist Alles...

FlyingPhotog

Something a little less "interpretive"

1929 Stearman 4DM Sr. Speedmail .. Built as a direct competitor to Boeing's 40C.

1       2       3              3903      
       3905              4533       4534       end