Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3897

1       2       3              3897      
       3899              4374       4375       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16324

Actually, buying a biz jet isn't as easy as one might think. between figuring out range, useful load, number of seats, and delivery slots, you pretty much can't get what you want, when you want it. We're talking to Embraer/Flight Options about a 300 as an interim ride, while we sort out what we really want.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2197

The Phenom 100 has a max range of around 1170nm.
Realistically your looking at having a useable range of around 1000nm.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Mark,

Yes, the 100 isn't even in the running. The 300 is, mostly because we can get one in a reasonable time, but we need something with 2000+ nm range. The Legacy 650 is a possibility with 3300nm. Ideally, we'd like something that would do Dallas to the UK, Dallas-Hawaii.We've been pouring over the specs and delivery times and the hope of bonus depreciation for 2013 is slipping away pretty quickly. You only have to have the position to claim the depreciation as I understand it, but you can't fly anywhere on a position.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2197

Jim,

The 650 will do NY to UK. For Dallas - UK or Hawaii your starting to look at either a Bombardier or Gulfstream or a converted airliner. One of the issues that you then need to consider is the operating costs for routing non stop versus having a smaller aircraft that you need to stop for fuel en route.
In the winter you might be lucky to get UK to Bangor Maine on the return due to the headwinds with a 650.

If your looking for a smallish sized biz jet with long range, then your talking Falcon 7X.

Razor17
Total Posts: 342

JWilsonphoto wrote:
An assignment just a hop/skip from Stewart Dawson's hangout...........

Jim, is that the Challenger you were assigned to shoot at Grayson County? I looked into getting a 300 type but its a PIA to get decent sim times, plus the actual cost...

Lynn

JWilsonphoto

Right you are Mark. Converted airliner isn't something we'd think about. We'll be making trips to Africa on a fairly regular basis. Globals and BBJ's are perfect for that mission. All of this has my head swimming. You think you know aircraft until you find yourself in a situation like this. The most reasonable approach is to look at a typical mission, buy an aircraft than slightly exceeds that profile, then charter something when a longer trip pops up. Realistically, it looks unlikely that we'll do anything until early next year. Too much to consider, too much money to hurry then get something that isn't what we want or need. Tapping the brakes a bit on some of this plan, I'd like my life to be easier, not more complicated.

JWilsonphoto

Found out that the best Pilatus sim training is right here at DFW. They have the most sophisticated PC12 sim right here.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Lynn,

No, that was another Challenger. Looks like we may shoot that one air to air though.

went
Total Posts: 1678

Been off the MA2A grid for a while, but trying hard to get thru the volumes of posts, & up to speed with LR5, this one is for our Leader

Went

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1759

In Athens waiting for a flight back to UK Wonderful holiday on Sifnos marred by a disaster last night - between the taxi queue at the ferry (at 00.30) and our hotel 30 minutes later my shoulder bag went "missing". "All" that was in it was my CF card case with 32Gb of holiday photos!!! No back up as won't connect to my iPad and no Internet cafe on Sifnos - luckily my wife's photos were elsewhere. I had moved the case to my shoulder bag as being safer than my camera bag!!!!!
Niall

went
Total Posts: 1678

Ouch Niall, that's not good, I'm afraid you've got about as much chance of getting them back as the Aussies have of getting back the Ashes!
Went

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

Went,
Now thats below the belt....!!
But we are playing like a bunch of school girls ...

AL

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3663

Today at Eindhoven Market Garden Memorial.

Jan-Arie

KDC10 Tanker departing Eindhoven

RAF C130

Wrei
Total Posts: 2254

Jan-Aire, great shot of the C-130 3 point landing.!

Practicing panning while the grandson drives the Deere…

Canon EOS 7D, f/10 @ 90 mm, 1/30, ISO 400

Jan-Arie

Great one Eddie
C160 Taxies apron after loading para's for the second Jump

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Photos are all jaw droppin' to me !! NICE !!

Question ...... I did some lens switching in the field today and it bit me in the .. leg.

So after about 20 minutes of blowing - brushing - blowing and 2 swipes with a sensor wet brush it's spotless and I would like to re order.

so .. looking at BH they offer the 12 pak ( NO VISIBLEDUST Solution ) GREEN SERIES visible dust sensors ....... any body use those perforated ones or should I just get the standard dry/wet sensor cleaning pad like I've been using ??

Thanks in advance
Curt

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

I bet the decisions you folks need to make Jim are tough .. !

I just looked at the specs for a yacht that's sitting in Cambridge, Md this weekend .. Emelina and it's 167 feet long - 5 cabins and can house up to 12 guests with a crew of 10 ....... It's awful dang big and expensive for so few guests !!!

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 565

"ELECTRACHROME" Quite a lovely finish on this Lockheed Electra 12A:

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2886

J-A, here's one of the same RI ANG C130. It would have been nice to catch her in Europe, but unfortunately this was in RI (2009);

Mark

1       2       3              3897      
       3899              4374       4375       end