Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3896

1       2       3              3896      
       3898              4533       4534       end

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 991

Just so you folks know how much I get from our ongoing conversation, here is a panning shot that I never would of attempted without all the help and inspiration I get from this thread. Thank You all.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

And a dead on pan it is Nick! What a great shot!! speaking for me, I have enjoyed your long time presence here. I hate to quote Hillary, but sometimes it does take a village, if the village is filled with great people.

JWilsonphoto

Just had a little surgery on my foot. Seems you can't drop a heavy aircraft part on your big toe, and ignore it Did that six months ago and thought I was doing fine until last week and 100 hours on my feet. Who would've thought that would cause a problem? A buddy of mine from our hangar complex is a great Doc, got me right in this afternoon, and we talked about airplanes, which was a great distraction because I really dislike that whacking on you stuff.

sanjayg
Total Posts: 821

Some USAF Thunderbirds action at Thunder over Michigan 2014

JWilsonphoto

Nice Sanjay.

JWilsonphoto

Looking at your panning image again Nick. The expressions on the girls is so cute. Don't you just love the still image?

I've thrown 10 grand at video in the last 60 days, and I needed to do it for projects coming up, but the still image is just a very special thing.

nickjohnson

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just had a little surgery on my foot. Seems you can't drop a heavy aircraft part on your big toe, and ignore it Did that six months ago and thought I was doing fine until last week and 100 hours on my feet. Who would've thought that would cause a problem? A buddy of mine from our hangar complex is a great Doc, got me right in this afternoon, and we talked about airplanes, which was a great distraction because I really dislike that whacking on you stuff.

Ouch! Get well soon.

nickjohnson

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Looking at your panning image again Nick. The expressions on the girls is so cute. Don't you just love the still image?

I've thrown 10 grand at video in the last 60 days, and I needed to do it for projects coming up, but the still image is just a very special thing.

Right you are Jim. Following a conversation with one of the senior gents at my camera club, I put together some particular pictures for the first competition of the year. Doug and I talked about the things that you can do with still photography that just don't happen with any other “art form”. We called it “a moment in time” or some such. All that “decisive moment” stuff is a bit too high brow for the likes of me.

Anyway, there are three prints required. The first is the Breitling Wing Walker crossing shot I posted a few pages back. I'll call that “Avoiding Action” or some such. The girls on the fair ground ride is the second, and I'll call that “Fun”. Third one you've not seen yet – posted under. I call that “Business as Usual”. I printed them all today and I'm very pleased with them.

JWilsonphoto

All three winners Nick, good luck! Keep us posted.

JWilsonphoto

Just got an email from RRS saying my new fluid head has shipped. I had planned on getting to know the Ronin today, but it wasn't a good day to be standing up much. I Photoshopped at HQ with my leg up on the desk.

R.H. Johnson
Total Posts: 2588

San Gabriel Canyon Fire
Angeles National Forest

JWilsonphoto

That looks like a painting, very cool!

ELinder
Total Posts: 1071

I know there's a number of RRS customers on this thread. I do like the feel of quality products, and don't mind spending a bit more up front for them, but a BH-55 and plates for my D4s, D810, 300mm and 200-400mm lenses would be a fairly large chunk of change. Are their products really worth the money?

Erich

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

ELinder wrote:
I know there's a number of RRS customers on this thread. I do like the feel of quality products, and don't mind spending a bit more up front for them, but a BH-55 and plates for my D4s, D810, 300mm and 200-400mm lenses would be a fairly large chunk of change. Are their products really worth the money?

Erich

Short answer: Yes!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

Posted another motorglider video, thermal soaring over the mountains west of Boulder here.

http://www.stevezphoto.us/aviation/h14bdd26c#h14bdd26c

XHawkeye
Total Posts: 292

RRS: If you can afford it you won't have buyer's remorse. Have RRS L-plates and quick release clamp on a Arca-Swiss ballhead. When renting a EF300/2.8 II I just use the plate from my 70-200 without any problems.

JWilsonphoto

Hi Erich,

That's a decision each person has to make for themselves. I held off buying RRS equipment for years, kept looking at it, reading about it, but I always ended up deciding that the Gitzo gear I had was plenty good, so why spend the money. When the need for a ball head arose, I talked with Zim and got his opinion on the product line, and the head I needed. He was, as usual, right on the money. Once I had the first piece of RRS gear, the 55, I was so impressed not only with the features, but just the tactile quality, that I began adding items here and there. My entire support system is RRS, except for my carbon fiber Gitzo, which I plan on replacing in the next few months with a RRS unit.

Their customer service matches the quality of their products, all in all, RRS certainly appears to be worth the premium.

ELinder
Total Posts: 1071

Thanks all. I was afraid you'd say that. At the moment I'm still using a Manfrotto head and plates, so it'd be a big step up.

Erich

Edit for TOPP, no planes at the moment, so here's the cathedral in Salzburg, Austria from last summer.

JWilsonphoto

Yes it would, it's a considerable jump from Gitzo, and Gitzo isn't inexpensive.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

@ Steve: That "river of clouds" image has to be in your Top 10 aerials. Breathtaking.

@ Erich: Yes, RRS is worth the price. The one area where I've moved away from RRS is in ballheads. Their stuff is very good, but I use an Arca-Swiss "Monoball Z" for my RRS TVC-33 tripod and it is a much better product IMHO. The oval shape of the head naturally increases the resistance to motion as you tilt the camera/lens toward the side, which nicely compensates for how they tend to "fall off" on other heads. The locking mechanisms don't require force to achieve a tight lock, and there's a couple of other minor differences. Feels great, works perfectly, love it.

1       2       3              3896      
       3898              4533       4534       end