Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3894

1       2       3              3894      
       3896              4342       4343       end

skyhawkpilot
Total Posts: 576

Bill Gass wrote:
1-800-CALL-DELL
Tell them what you want all maxed out and your done, warranty and all !

Dell is great and all...but I can't stand working with their tech support. I would probably by another Asus or Sony laptop before Dell.

Edit for TOPP...

A couple photos made it into my company calendar. Not really as impressive as an AvWeek Cover or national magazine, but I still thought it was cool.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2242

skyhawkpilot wrote:
Wrei wrote:
Sorry, yes, I am referring to the Pro. I do not know about the Air, but OWC could tell you, in fact, I did not see any Air memory upgrade packages.

I upgraded both of our MacBook Pro's myself. Mine went in for service under warranty with no problems (they replaced the screen). I even told them I upgraded the memory, but they can tell when they turn on the machine and look at the records for as bought vs. as is.

Interesting. How do you feel about the Retina vs non retina displays?

I do not have the Retina, and I have only seen it in the Apple Store. The major difference I saw was the lack of reflection on the screen from behind me and to the side. This is usually not a problem for me because of where I usually use my MBP.

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

I wouldn't mix operating systems but if your just running a laptop .. My desktop pc has 16 gig ram windows XP and and laptop has a few problems but it's just Vista Home Premium -- and that's already a problem because my frontpage for websites and quickbook pro for invoicing versions only work on the Vista .... need to buy new editions for XP so I am going to run the laptop into the ground.

1 / keyboard -- so I bought a $40 dollar wireless w/ mouse and that problem is gone -- though I understand now after doing that from a friend the keyboards are standard and for $70 bucks I could replace my own ........

2 / some Microsoft net or something window keeps popping up on start up .. I just click thru it .. as long as I can get to quickbooks and frontpage I'm good.

so if I'm unwilling to buy new programs for version changes, I'm certainly not going to buy new software versions for MAC -- though don't they emulate PC software somehow ??

I bought a new Toshiba last month I guess - got the rebate check this past Monday .. it was Windows 8 ........ I was so frustrated with it I gave it away !!

cbrandt

NIKON .. I mentioned that I sent my D300s and 80-400mm vr VERSION I in for repair and I'd give the results for the money spent for those thinking about sending a unit in ......

A number of photogs were in disbelief from my Friday Morning Artist group as they'd never heard of anyone sending a camera or lens in that seemed to work fine. They are all retired and work close to the vest, as maybe I should do a bit more of

Coming from a background of service - PM - repair I felt it needed to be checked by the OEM as it's never been in for OEM service since purchase 4/5 years ago -- like when I was working in the real world -- I'd check external heart generators / pacers every 6 months on test equipment and they tested * within * spec .. then every 3 years I'd send them to the OEM for a PM and there was always a bit of adjustment to be made -- so sending my equipment in doesn't sound strange to me ....

I sent my gear in because I believed the camera and lens was capable of giving better jpeg / raws out of camera than I was getting .. ( $684 total -- 249.94 for D300s, rest on lens )

I am also booked for a trip I may not repeat for 9 days at Cade's Cove in 2 months with only this week and next of heavy shooting, so if I'm willing to spend that amt of time and money on something, it just made sense to me to go with equipment I felt was in the best condition.

D300s -
REPLACE RUBBER GRIP
RPL REWIND SIDE RUBBER
RPL CF CARDHOLDER RUBBER
RPL BAYONET MOUNT
RPL MAIN PCB
RPL FOCUSING SCREEN
RPL POWER PCB
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
ADJ EXPOSURE
CKD COMMUNICATION
CLN CCD
Bent Bayonet Mount

REPLACE CAM RING
RPL FOCUSING MECHANISM
RPL ZOOMING MECHANISM
RPL ROLLER / GUIDE RING
RPL FOCUSING RING
RPL APERATURE OPERATION
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

...................... MY ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT IS THAT I CLEARLY ASKED THEY BE MATED AT MELVILLE .. NO INDICATION THT THEY WERE ........................

It's been a long time since I've used DELL tech support, but when I did it sucked .. besides the standard .. Let's Reboot .. it was outsourced and it's difficult to understand different nationalities when your not used to hearing that individual speak ........ I've got a great buddy in NJ from India that I've shot with often, lent my 600mm to several times for his trips who I have to ask him to repeat often .. lol .. and he just tries and makes me understand again ..... going to be shooting a lot with him this Fall . Winter at Cape May and Barnegate .......... point is ............... when I called Nikon because I only had D300s estimate after 1 day and not lens ..... the person was of a different nationality NOT at the Nikon Complex because I asked her ........ but spoke very good English -- so MAYBE companies are requiring their outsourcing companies to be more stringent in communication skills ........ it's not only the dells, Nikons .......... but when I'd call medical companies XXXXXX for tech support, there was the occasional support tech from another nationality who should never of been Phone Support ....... !!

cbrandt

Biplane crashed after propeller fell apart and engine fell out: TSB

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/Biplane-crashed-after-propeller-fell-apart-TSB-223309751.html?thx=y

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2170

gerov wrote:
Sound advice Wrei, but I'm not sure how easy it is to add additional ram to the Air once you've purchased it. I believe they say that you can't add it once it's delivered. If he's getting a Pro, then it's easy to do.

I would look into that before making a decision, since Apple prices its RAM at twice what you pay for it at OWC, based on my experience of upgrading my Macbook and iMac.

Correct. The MBA memory is soldered to the main board. It cannot be added to.

I have a 2011 MBA with 4gb of RAM. This outperforms my 2010 Dell PC that has a faster intel chip & 8gb of RAM fitted when running Photoshop or Lightroom. It really shows up how unoptimised a piece of software windows is.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4540

Nesting Instinct
Post-Flight EOR at Luke AFB

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3428

cbrandt wrote:

Biplane crashed after propeller fell apart and engine fell out: TSB

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/Biplane-crashed-after-propeller-fell-apart-TSB-223309751.html?thx=y

Ooh, a Steadman: those are rare.

Hope the pilot and passenger aren't badly hurt.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3891

We all know Dells tech support suks. Windows 7 is the greatest yet in my opinion, opens and runs anything.
Jay, last image is top shelf !

skyhawkpilot

Bill - Windows 7 is excellent. I have not been able to play much with Windows 8 so I don't really have an opinion on it yet. Disclaimer on the MBP/MBA...I will probably run Boot Camp and put Windows on it. I don't have any Mac software. All Windows.

Jay - The F-16 wavies...freaking awesome! I sort of want to buy it as a print... It also took me a minute to realize there were two F-16s and two nozzles instead of one nozzle and the trailing edge of the wing. :P

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3891

Windows 8 stinks.
Da I see the 2 nozzles now too,

FlyingPhotog

skyhawkpilot wrote:Jay - The F-16 wavies...freaking awesome! I sort of want to buy it as a print... It also took me a minute to realize there were two F-16s and two nozzles instead of one nozzle and the trailing edge of the wing. :P

http://crosswindimages.com/p961397665/e7ff9e1c6

skyhawkpilot

Jay - That image has been bookmarked until I have some rainy day money.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1901

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Nesting Instinct
Post-Flight EOR at Luke AFB

I could go on for a while praising this image Jay. For me, it ranks right up there with your P-38 head-on monochrome. Very well done sir!

FlyingPhotog

Thanks Jeff...

Never ceases to amaze how you can revisit a shoot many months later and see things that you didn't see the first time. Maybe it's a crop, or B&W, or a little cleanup and an alternate processing technique:

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

Windows anything...ugh.....I have been so happy with my Macs over the last ten years that I never want to have to boot up a pc again. Sheila has an old pc laptop thet she will not let me replace with a Mac, I wish it would burst into flame and vanish, then she'd have no choice.

JWilsonphoto

Jay, well what can be said that hasn't been said? You are an amazing talent through and through my friend.

JWilsonphoto

Jay, you are right. How many times have you looked through files when you shot them and thought, "there's nothing much in here..", but when you go back to them after all the sweat and sunscreen has been flushed from your eyes, and you have had a few nights of decent sleep..poof.......the winners appear, even six months later.

JWilsonphoto

A tardy congratulations to Andrew for his published images! Fun to see your stuff in print isn't it?

MustangsX2
Total Posts: 110

Morning after the rain, thunder and lightning at Reno.
This civilian painted P-51 was in hiding for many years, but emerged about 5 yrs ago.

1       2       3              3894      
       3896              4342       4343       end